Stoke City v Liverpool - Britannia Stadium 15:00 (Part II)

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:02 am

eds » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:49 pm wrote:Let's be honest Stoke didn't play well and did nothing to threaten most of the day.

We weren't that great but did enough to stay in the game with so many new players, how surprising that these results have usually gone against us with the opposition scoring a winner or equalizer late in the game.

Delighted we have a 3 points but its due to Coutinho's individual brilliance rather then anything that was really planned out by Rodgers. We were lucky and we move on.

Other positives were Milner working his socks off and Firmino's sublime pass which nearly led to a 1 on 1 chance. Benteke tried hard but we need to play to his strengths as he hardly threatened.

Stoke only had 1 shot on target and I think the biggest plus point from today is our defence. So much better today and the two fullbacks have helped a lot.

If we can build from a solid defence, then we'll do just fine.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:27 am

I love all the shots people are still taking at the Manager, Henderson and Milner. Some people seem upset we won because that goes against the fact that "our idiot manager" is so terrible. We won the game. Enjoy it. It's a game most people won't win, and considering our preseason fixtures haven't left us anywhere near ready for the PL, that's pretty good.

I will say I don't understand all the praise on Gomez. I thought he looked comfortable with the ball at his feet, but defensively he looked so out of depth. I felt most of their opportunities came down that right side when he made a mistake, he really looked unsure of what to do. Honestly, I thought he was our worst player.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby maguskwt » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:40 am

Yes... Let's start the "If we win it's despite Rodgers, if we lose it's because of him" game again shall we?  :laugh:
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:53 am

Ok it wasn't the prettiest game and we didn't play well but this game wasn't about that, it was a relatively new team with very little playing time together grinding out a result against a team that had beat us 6-1 in our last competitive game, very happy with result and performances will improve, I still have misgivings about Hendo as captain though.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:06 am

Boocity » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:53 am wrote:Ok it wasn't the prettiest game and we didn't play well but this game wasn't about that, it was a relatively new team with very little playing time together grinding out a result against a team that had beat us 6-1 in our last competitive game, very happy with result and performances will improve, I still have misgivings about Hendo as captain though.

Precisely... new players, relatively tough away fixture, we should be happy...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:17 am

Game of coincidence decided by a coincidence hell of a goal. No Idea what BR tactics were but i really can't be bothered trying to understand him.
Get Sakho back as soon as possible as dumb and dumber are recipe for a disaster ,Hendo and Milner are just a terrible pair-up unfortunately i suspect they are the first to be called by BR. It is evident we have way too many midfielders and i have no idea how BR is going to manage him.
Great Win in a difficult venue against a difficult team.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:20 am

maguskwt » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:06 pm wrote:
Boocity » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:53 am wrote:Ok it wasn't the prettiest game and we didn't play well but this game wasn't about that, it was a relatively new team with very little playing time together grinding out a result against a team that had beat us 6-1 in our last competitive game, very happy with result and performances will improve, I still have misgivings about Hendo as captain though.

Precisely... new players, relatively tough away fixture, we should be happy...

Exactly. Only 5 of yesterday's starters were in the last game of the season, a lot of lads needed to get to know their team mates under the pressure of a game.Well done all round. Even shiny teeth......

Only me, why the negativity ffs, is life really so bad after one game + 3 points?  :down:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:24 am

ethanr » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:27 am wrote:I will say I don't understand all the praise on Gomez. I thought he looked comfortable with the ball at his feet, but defensively he looked so out of depth. I felt most of their opportunities came down that right side when he made a mistake, he really looked unsure of what to do. Honestly, I thought he was our worst player.

Agreed 100%.

Overall, a great result and very happy we picked up the 3 points BUT if I'm being honest I thought the performance was poor.

Defensively Gomez was an obvious weak link at the back and Stoke looked to exploit it time and time again, not knocking the lad, he didn't shirk his job but I think it's a massive step up for him and I'm not convinced that right now he's up to it, was surprised that he made it through the entire game.

Going forward we were repeatedly guilty of poor/slow decision making, i.e. supplying the right pass at the right moment. Also couldn't understand with the pace of Ibe and Clyne on our right why more balls weren't delivered from wide in to Benteke, I think Ibe cut inside more often than he went down the outside too supply a cross, and when Clyne did bomb forward the ball was rarely quickly fed out to him so he could put in a quick ball into the box.

First game I know and lots to be still worked on but we've got to significantly step up our game as imo we were more than lucky to have come away with a win courtesy of  Countinho's more than special goal.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby lakes10 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:28 am

look at it this way. our defence was 600% better than out last prem game. we have some hard games coming up and taking 3 points at Stoke is a massive plus.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:10 pm

Tricky away game especially after last season, post Stevie with a big influx of new players.

We get 3 not very pretty points not sure you can either cheer or squeal about it at this present time.
Though you cant argue its still the 3 points
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:26 pm

I do find it hard to understand the negativity and pessimism of some fans.

They mustn't ever enjoy football.
If you cant be happy after winning away at Stoke - where we where absolutely hammered last season then you might as well not watch.

I'd recommend watching a video of our away end after the match yesterday. It was absolutely bouncing with everyone made up.

Surely that's more fun than the constant fault picking and doom mongering ?
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Dundreamin is back » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:38 pm

Considering we had only won once at the Brittainia before yesterday and that was with Suarez. That's one hell of a result I would stick my mortgage on Cheatski, The Mange, City and Arsenal as a group not leaving the Britannia with 12 points between them
Dundreamin is back
LFC Advanced Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:09 pm

Ben Patrick » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:26 am wrote:I do find it hard to understand the negativity and pessimism of some fans.

If you cant be happy after winning away at Stoke - where we where absolutely hammered last season then you might as well not watch.

I'd recommend watching a video of our away end after the match yesterday. It was absolutely bouncing with everyone made up.

To be fair mate it has been a good while since we've seen a convincing performance from the team, probably the last decent display was when we beat City at Anfield on the 1st of March, since then it's all been a bit sketchy. I think fans just want to see us play well to show that we are still on the right track and still making progress, I like Brendan but it does feel like we have spent the past 12 months going backwards.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ethanr » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:58 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:09 am wrote:
Ben Patrick » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:26 am wrote:I do find it hard to understand the negativity and pessimism of some fans.

To be fair mate it has been a good while since we've seen a convincing performance from the team, probably the last decent display was when we beat City at Anfield on the 1st of March, since then it's all been a bit sketchy. I think fans just want to see us play well to show that we are still on the right track and still making progress, I like Brendan but it does feel like we have spent the past 12 months going backwards.

In Fairness though, it's still early days. We're one game into this season, a fixture which never goes well for us. I'm trying to remember the last time we were convincing on the first game of the season anyway? Last season at Southampton was far from. Season before home to Stoke- Mignolet saved a pen and we won when we probably didn't deserve to. Hammered by West Brom 3-0 the season before that. Drew against Sunderland before that. Drew Arsenal the season before that in a terribly boring game, Lost to Spurs the year before that.... I think you get the point. We've actually won our first fixture 3 years straight which is pretty good, but we just don't look good on opening day, and if we come away with 3 points we really have nothing to complain about.

We've got Bournemouth at home next, which should be one of our easiest fixtures of the year. That's a great opportunity for us to get another game in under the belt before we get into our insane fixture period, and we should expect 3 points next week.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Reg » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:55 pm

Question: did we miss Stevie?  Errr... no.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games