Spurs V Liverpool - EPL - Saturday 27th August 12.30pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Doeboy » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:20 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:00 pm wrote:
bunglemark2 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:35 pm wrote:4 points out of 9.... Not good enough....

A point away at Spurs isn't a bad result, the reason we only have 4 points at this stage is because of what happened at Turf Moor last week not at White Hart Lane today.
If we keep on putting in performances like the one we've just seen it won't be long before we start climbing the table.

Agree mate. My biggest concern is the lapses in concentration in defence. Was livid seeing Rose standing in the box with no one around him from a hopeful ball into the box. Spurs didnt have to work too hard for the goal and thats what pisses me off.

It will undermine the great work we are doing at the other end of the pitch. Im still not seeing a leader in this team who will dish bollockings out to the players when they make mistakes like Carra/Stevie did. Ideally a leader in defence who can guide/talk the other defenders through the game and keep them on their toes
Doeboy

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:21 pm

Doeboy » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:07 pm wrote:
C-R » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:49 pm wrote:
Doeboy » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:47 pm wrote:Didnt take our early chances. Those go in and I think we would habe put the game to bed. Coutinho should have put that chance away early. The offside goal was very a close call imo. Viewing from a certain angle, can see how it may look marginally offside while from another angle, looks fine and on. Our defending for the goal was poor. Dont like the way Rose had all that space in our box down the left. We need to iron out this lapses in concentration during the 90 mins. Overall thought we defended quite well to be honest

The guidelines to match officials clearly stated and were clarified that the advantage goes with the attacker, not given, shambles

Think thats easier said than done in real time to be honest mate. As a linesman, especially in a quick phase of play, I think they are hard wired to call what they see i.e just on or off. If you looking along the line at ground level and see the slightest part of a player ahead of the last defender, its just an instinct to put the flag up. I couldnt believe it was offside but after seeing replays can see why from a certain view, someone could call it with a split seconds processing time to make the decision.

I thought he was on myself but to be fair decisions went for us today as well as against us, for example I thought the touch on Firmino for the pen was just outside and Mane could have easily seen a second yellow for that challenge on Rose in the box as well. Although it was accidental he pretty much went over the top of the ball and I've deffo seen yellows given for challenges like that.
All in all a point away at Spurs is a decent result, if you offered Guardiola or Mourinho a point before the game they'd probably take it. A draw away at Spurs isn't going to ruin our season, it's results like last weeks that will do that.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby C-R » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:41 pm

Here's the full post match press conference, enjoy!!

C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:09 pm

Nice one mate
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:23 pm

1-1 away to Spuds isn't a bad result. Thought we could have edged it, but that's football.

Got a bit of a break now until our first home match. We'll need to get all 3 against Leiester if we're going to kick start our campaign.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:50 pm

Slightly disappointed. Would have settled for a point before kick off BUT at half time thought we were odds on to take all three.

Good all round performance from the team, more clinical finishing would have seen us winning this one.

Honestly thought (as good as his contribution was) in every challenge Mane was looking like he'd pick up a second yellow.

Scratching my head over Jurgens decision to only bring on Sturridge in the dying minutes. Couldn't blame the fella if he feels a bit ***** over that.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:56 pm

woof woof ! » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:50 pm wrote:Slightly disappointed. Would have settled for a point before kick off BUT at half time thought we were odds on to take all three.

Good all round performance from the team, more clinical finishing would have seen us winning this one.

Honestly thought (as good as his contribution was) in every challenge Mane was looking like he'd pick up a second yellow.

Scratching my head over Jurgens decision to only bring on Sturridge in the dying minutes. Couldn't blame the fella if he feels a bit ***** over that.

Think it has more to do with the fact he's been shooting his mouth off to the press about which position he plays in. There are not many managers who would let that pass, without some form of reaction.

You don't want to play out wide and work your way into the box? Fine, you sit on the bench until you get your chance...
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:13 pm

7_Kewell » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:56 pm wrote:
woof woof ! » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:50 pm wrote:Slightly disappointed. Would have settled for a point before kick off BUT at half time thought we were odds on to take all three.

Think it has more to do with the fact he's been shooting his mouth off to the press about which position he plays in. There are not many managers who would let that pass, without some form of reaction.

You don't want to play out wide and work your way into the box? Fine, you sit on the bench until you get your chance...

I don't think, as you put it, he was "Shooting His Mouth Off To The Press" I think he was asked a question and he answered it   :kungfu:

What I find more interesting is Jurgens interaction with Sturridge (as far as we know it) .

Increasingly it looks to me like Jurgen's not bothered whether we hang on to Sturridge.

Given his injury record I might feel the same BUT while he's fit for ***** sake give the fella a go !

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:24 pm

Sturridge has put himself into a position that he needn't be in.

He's experienced enough to know what sort of situation he'd create (in the media and the dressing room) by saying he's frustrated by being played out of position. Players are asked these questions every day and most of the smart ones simply say "I'll play where I'm asked to play". I'm in no doubt that Klopp would have told Sturridge why he's being played out of position. However, I'm not too sure that Klopp will have been happy with the fact that his tactics are being questioned by the same player on the telly.
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:29 pm

7_Kewell » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:23 pm wrote:1-1 away to Spuds isn't a bad result. Thought we could have edged it, but that's football.

Got a bit of a break now until our first home match. We'll need to get all 3 against Leiester if we're going to kick start our campaign.

I agree we should have won but a draw vs spurs is not bad.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:33 pm

7_Kewell » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:24 pm wrote:Sturridge has put himself into a position that he needn't be in.

He's experienced enough to know what sort of situation he'd create (in the media and the dressing room) by saying he's frustrated by being played out of position. Players are asked these questions every day and most of the smart ones simply say "I'll play where I'm asked to play". I'm in no doubt that Klopp would have told Sturridge why he's being played out of position. However, I'm not too sure that Klopp will have been happy with the fact that his tactics are being questioned by the same player on the telly.

Yep, besides Jurgen likes the front 3 to play narrow and to interchange so it's not like he's being consigned to the footballing equivalent of Coventry out on the sidelines.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:41 pm

7_Kewell » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:24 pm wrote:Sturridge has put himself into a position that he needn't be in.

What ? now he's fit, spend 88 minutes on the bench ?

In a game that was crying out for us to have someone to show a bit of craft and stick the ball into the net ???   :no

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:46 pm

redshade » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:29 pm wrote:
7_Kewell » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:23 pm wrote:1-1 away to Spuds isn't a bad result. Thought we could have edged it, but that's football.

I agree we should have won but a draw vs spurs is not bad.

4 points from 2 away games is a very good return especially when those away games were at the Emirates and White Hart Lane. There isn't a manager in the league that wouldn't be happy with that.
It was just last week that let us down, that Burnley game should have been a banker 3 points for us but you can be certain of one thing - before this season is out every team will have days like we had last week.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:02 pm

If we look at it another way we probably would be only 1 point ahead of what we are now.
Prior to the matches, spurs and Arsenal realistically we would have been satisfied with 1 point each.
Adding to 3 points vs Burnley we would have been on 5 now. Just 1 point more.
So 4 points currently are not too bad like some make it.
There are many ways of looking at it we could easily have lost to both spurs and Arsenal and could've been 1 point down.
So i would say its been satisfactory at the moment.

Lets see how things will be by december.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:14 pm

The main thing for me is that we are playing quite well, we've gone to Arsenal and Spurs and more than held our own and even against Burnley we had 80% possession. Yes other teams have accrued a few more points but look at who they've played, United have played Bournemouth (A), Southampton (H) and Hull (A) and Chelsea have beaten Watford (A), West Ham (H) and Burnley (H).
If we can keep playing like this we won't be far away come next May.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games