Match report for today!

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:09 pm

Dudek, 6 - Was solid, made a couple of camera saves as usual but looked decent. Best display of the season but didn't have much to do.

Josemi, 6 - Another solid performer, defended well but offered little going forward. Has had better games but still early days, looks a good player.

Riise, 7 - Full of energy and running and played well. Attacked well and defended convincingly. Was wasteful with a few hoofs but starting to look the player we all know he can be. Hopefully he will continue to improve, he's started the season in good form.

Hyypia, 8 - Dominant is the best way to discribe him today. Just oozed class in everything he done, i don't remember seeing a West Brom chance. Won everything in the air, composed and read the game well as usual.

Carragher, 8 - Similar to Sami. Dominant and gave nothing away, used the ball well aswell from the back and had a good game. Made some superb tackles and put himself about alot.

Finnan, 7 - Good game, quality goal. Passing was good and useful and took his goal superbly. Great touch, good turn and good finish. Put 3 excellent balls into the box, 2 of which deserved someone on the end of them. Best game for a while and hopefully shown he has a future here even if its as a squad player.

Kewell, 6 - Good to see him back. The difference in class between him and Warnock is obvious. However he's still short of his best and its becoming a concern. He done some good things today but was still sloppy and went missing at times. His movement and effort was much better today though. His best game of the season so far. He will improve, i just hope he does it sooner rather than later.

Gerrard, 8 - Excellent. Simply excellent. Ball retention was superb for once and his passing was simple and effective. Plenty of 1-2's and lots of effort today. Tried one or two long passes that didn't come off but today i think he played 4 and two did come off so i can forgive him for the two that didnt. You could see he enjoyed playing with Luis Garcia and he looked relieved to have a player to play off. My man of the match... JUST.

Hamann, 7 - Good game. Passed the ball well, won the ball well. Just typical Hamann. The passing and movement and understanding looked superb with Gerrard and Finnan and the link-up play with Garcia and Riise was promising. I think he still has a really important role for this club.

Luis Garcia, 8 - If you want to win over the fans on your home debeut, the way he played in the first 45 is the way to do it. He was greedy twice where he should have passed it but you could see he was just eager to get off the mark. That unselfishness will come with games. Full of pace, energy and intelligence. His movement and link up play is superb and technically he's very good. Will be a really good player for us and one i'm really impressed with so far. Today some of his link up play with other players was outstanding and his vision and technique aswell as his agility and movement will make him a focal point of this side in the future. Oozed class at some points and made others play, notabley Steven Gerrard. Faded in the second half but got his goal and looked made up.

Cisse, 7 - Full of running and done some good things. Had a good effort saved from 18 yards on a bit of an angle and shown his pace again. Needs more confidence and aggression but that will come with time and games. Clearly has the potential to become a superb player for us. Reminds me alot of Pires in his first season for the ******. Hopefully he can have the same long term impact, early signs are promising.

Subs:

Traore, 6 - Nothing to do of note, done what was required. Game was already won.

Alonso, 6 - Game already won so it was dead in midfield. His passing and set pieces look amazing. Didn't really have an impact on the game though. Anyone who thinks Gerrard can pass a ball though... Check this guy out, he can land the ball on a 5 pence piece from 60 yards. The weight on his passes is unbelievable.

Baros, 6 - Full of running down blind alleys as usual. Still a headless chicken. But plenty of effort which is the most important thing.

All in all a good performance, solid at the back, looked inventive in attack. More to come i hope.
115-1073096938

Postby JBG » Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:34 pm

I would agree with pretty much all of that.

The club and fans needed that performance and result today.

Long way to go yet though.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby madred » Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:40 pm

Just going on to Cisse he's the one we hope will start bursting the net soon and even though he didnt score on another day he might have bagged a couple at least. Promising and im predicting he's gonna shine soon when he finds his feet properly. He took up some great positions today and showed really quick feet. Good assessment Stu fella :)
Last edited by madred on Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:45 pm

I will agree with much of the assessment myself but I find it rather puzzling how Baros gets the headless chicken verdict and a struggling Kewell gets a bit sloppy at times.Assessments can be better or worse on how an individual favours certain players.i.e.Michael Owen was above criticism in some eyes.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby sinema » Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:21 am

Decent assessment Stu, although I do recall West Brom having two good headed attempts from set pieces - still a worry.  All in all a very encouraging performance.  So please, let's get behind ALL the players, yes even Biscan if he plays.  It is amazing how the supporters' encouragement can improve your game and lift your confidence, just look at Finnan today.  We're getting there boys.  Give it three months or so!
sinema

Postby gaz31 » Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:03 am

Nice write up stu i agree with most of but i can't accept that bit about milan he's no chicken, just needs to position himself better to save on all the running he has to do!! :sleepy:
When you get the ball, I want you to beat a couple of men and smash the ball into the net, just the same way you used to at Bury," said Shankly. Lindsay replied: "But Boss that wasn't me, it was Bobby Kerr." Shankly turned to Bob Paisley and said: "Christ Bob, we've signed the wrong player."
gaz31
LFC Elite Member

Postby madred » Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:04 am

Blind alleys is a much better expression than headless chicken!!!
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:27 am

Knocked a ****** ticket back didn't I?  I only live 10 minutes from Anfield.

Never again, EVER.
jonnymac1979

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:29 am

What was I thinking?
jonnymac1979

Postby A.B. » Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:31 am

jonnymac1979 wrote:What was I thinking?

I don't know, what were you thinking?
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Dalglish » Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:27 am

The game against WBA was as encouraging as the Bolton game was disappointing.

LFC thorouighly deserved their win and entertained doing so. Their passing and movement was crisp, the interplay quick and precise and we created chances throughout the game. let WBA back into it for about 10-15 mins after the first goal but it was a temporary glitch and we soon tookcontrol.

Garcia, Gerrard and Hamann were excellent and the rest were good . The exception had to be Kewell who didn't look fit after his recent injury.

I realise WBA are not exactly a top class side but the signs were encouraging and thats now 2 home wins out of 2 playing entertaining, attacking football.

Walk on .....
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:24 am

We have to be a bit more pro-active in not letting an opposing team like Monaco to have a good spell on the ball and threaten our goal like what happened against WBA 10-15 mins after scoring. Against CL opposition, one crucial lapse and they will score and another lapse will be buried! Liverpool have shown some tendency to go off the boil and have lapses but perhaps I am just being over critical.

Overall, the win will give the team a good lift before facing a quality opposition in Monaco.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:04 am

Big week  to kick the campaign off especially with MANCS away on weekend. Though should certainly be a good week for some of players to show their wares and hopefully the WBA game would have given some confidences a big boost
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:31 am

I think Garcia will have had a massive boost but he was guilty of squandering 2 chances by trying himself when passing to a better placed team mate was the better option. His desire to get on the score sheet and his efforts shows that he is a determined player. Skillful to boot, and his link play was very good.

With the Monaco game being played away, I envisage Bentihez will play the same 4-5-1 system.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DAV » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:40 am

can't fault much about this post.
except the Baros comments
Garcia he's greedy which most strikers r, but just needs to learn sometimes shooting isnt always the best option.
DAV
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - Games