Match report for today!

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Bruno Zidane! » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:13 am

Also thought Gerrard looked as happy as he has been for a long time, i thought his link up play at times with Garcia was excellent and about Garcia, what can i say, as good a home debut ive probably seen in the premiership for a foreigner ( apart from ravanelli!!!) and reminds me a bit of a former red Litmanen. Also totally agree Stu about Alonso, that kids passin was an absolut joy to watch the way he passes and crosses the ball is majestic....Like benitez said Gerrard will get even better cos there are better players around him now and there is others improvin all the time like riises back to form kewell looked better when he had the ball but still doesnt work hard enough when he loses it (needs to take leaf out of garcias book for closin down). So final verdict is that after are defeat to Bolton 2 weeks ago i thought we showed great bouncebackability to take all 3 points against WBA. (for all Soccer AM fans out there!). Oh and also just for any Smicer fans out there(if there is any left!) Garcia did what ive been waiting 5 years for him to do, link the the midfield to attack.
Chopper:Look, you're not still angry at me about the leg, are you?
Neville Bartos : Nah, forget about it.
Chopper : Because I don't know if you remember, Neville, but I had that bloody shotgun pointed at your head. I reconsidered and dropped it down to your kneecap. Remember?
Bruno Zidane!
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:56 am

I thought we played well and controlled the game totally. I would like to see Alonso and Gerrard playing together in the middle tho.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:19 am

Its early days yet but Garcia looks like he has the potential to be the link player we have missed for years.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:07 am

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Its early days yet but Garcia looks like he has the potential to be the link player we have missed for years.

that's exactly what i was thinking coming out of the ground on saturday. the signs are all good for this guy. his movement off the ball is superb. he gets into some great positions. i was pleased to see him score because he deserved it for his overall performance on the day. he and gerrard (again) were simply outstanding. there is no more outstanding player in europe now than stevie g.

as for the rest of the team, i thought dudek looked more confident than he has done this season so far. the back four all played well and limited west brom to mainly long range efforts. finnan took his goal superbly. his first touch was excellent. most of us on the kop couldn't believe it was the same player. :D

so all in all, encouraging signs, although the big tests come on wednesday and monday.  :)
Last edited by stmichael on Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:25 am

i think smicer would thrive under benitez.

houllier's system will always make players like that look sh**
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
jim_morrison_supported_liverpool
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:29 am

jim_morrison_supported_liverpool wrote:i think smicer would thrive under benitez.

yeah he'd make an excellent team physio. i think he officially qualifies as one now having spent so much time on the treatment table. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Bruno Zidane! » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:39 am

Smicer wouldnt thrive if he was playin with pele,maradona,Eusebio and zidane, hes been sh!te since the day we signed him and every season at least one person out of the millions of LFC supporters around the world reckons he is still gonna produce the goods, Smicer is finished his contract runs out at the end of the season and he doesnt even deserve another one, hes already had 56 chances to many to impress and hes failed every time, he would look well out of his depth in this liverpool team and garcia had a better game than hes ever had in a red shirt.
Chopper : Because I don't know if you remember, Neville, but I had that bloody shotgun pointed at your head. I reconsidered and dropped it down to your kneecap. Remember?
Bruno Zidane!
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:41 am

Bruno Zidane! wrote:Smicer wouldnt thrive if he was playin with pele,maradona,Eusebio and zidane, hes been sh!te since the day we signed him and every season at least one person out of the millions of LFC supporters around the world reckons he is still gonna produce the goods, Smicer is finished his contract runs out at the end of the season and he doesnt even deserve another one, hes already had 56 chances to many to impress and hes failed every time, he would look well out of his depth in this liverpool team and garcia had a better game than hes ever had in a red shirt.

Stinging criticism there, and on the whole fair, but Smicer has played a handful of good games, though admitedley not enough.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bruno Zidane! » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:53 am

dont get me wrong mate, i dont dislike Smicer, it just pi$$es me off when its clear he had ability when he signed, he just never produced it for us, thats the type of player that pi$$es me off, if he was totally sh!te like a diao i wouldnt waste me time having a go at them, but he just never done it for us and im confident he never will, Its the same with why ive been annoyed with Kewell of late, so much talent but looks out of sorts at times but did have a better game against WBA.
Bruno Zidane!
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:03 pm

That was the sort of game we'd have probbably lost under GH last season. We need to win those games against so called 'low profile' teams. If we play like that against scumwe should be on for a tight 1-0 win me thinks.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:11 pm

Despite patches where the players showed some of the bad habits they accrued under Houllier on the whole the strengths he left us with blended well with Rafa's new boys and his different style of play.  I don't know if we would've lost last year, probably drawn though

(I was soooooooo ****** off when we drew with fullham at home last season  :angry: )
Last edited by Starbridge42 on Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby stmichael » Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:14 pm

azriahmad wrote:I think Garcia will have had a massive boost but he was guilty of squandering 2 chances by trying himself when passing to a better placed team mate was the better option. His desire to get on the score sheet and his efforts shows that he is a determined player. Skillful to boot, and his link play was very good.

that's a good point. fans complaining about garcia being "greedy" are missing the point entirely.

for example, i remember seeing rivaldo play at anfield in the uefa cup semi-final during the treble season...he was on the ball and had great options left..and right...but chose to shoot from nearly 40yards away....his shot missed the top corner by inches......greedy..or just total confidence in your own ability? ???
Last edited by stmichael on Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Starbridge42 » Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:20 pm

Hmm, thats an interesting way of looking at it but you do see with some very exciting players, last season I remember Ronhaldino catching the ball with his back, flicking it to his foot, volleying it over the defender and running on to shoot (the shot was poor though  :;): )
Total confidence, but you would agree that there is a line between personal confidence and personal greed.  Mind you I wasn't one of those critisizing Garcia for being selfish.  I'd say he just has a lot of confidence as well as the desire to prove himself.

Oh and your example of rivaldo, knowing his reputation I'd say it was greed  :;):
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby stmichael » Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:25 pm

garcia actually reminded me a lot of peter beardsley the way he played. if he can be half as good as beardo was, he'll be some player. :)

p.s. relive all the goals here

http://frank2002.myby.co.uk/
Last edited by stmichael on Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Bruno Zidane! » Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:00 pm

dont expect Garcia to be that greedy in future i just thought he looked desprate to get his goal, i think now he will be a little relaxed like when he could have squared it to gerrard, if he had a couple of goals under his belt im sure he'd have passed to gerrard, but with us being 2-0 up at the time he had nothin to lose by to shootin, but overall he looks excellent and at last we have someone who oozes confidence on the ball apart from gerrard, who i think is gonna enjoy playin with garcia in front of him instead of heskey and diouf,thank god!

Also i am fu*kin made up for the lad, hes gonna be a star!!!
Bruno Zidane!
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games