Manchester City v LIVERPOOL(CL) Tus 10th April 7.45ko

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:03 pm

Watching the game again.

With the emotion absent from a live viewing I have to give our lads a bit more credit for their defensive performance in the first half.

Up against one of the top "flair" sides in the world we absorbed everything they threw at us and drew the sting out of them.

They were unlucky to have a valid goal ruled out BUT they were also lucky that their keeper remained on the pitch after he physically assaulted Mane three times (I'm still wondering why Mane didn't elect to fall over after the third shove)

Overall, bottom line is we simply outplayed them in both legs   :buttrock

p.s Had a look at one of their forums post the match, Christ ! I thought Neverton fans were bitter but the City fans take the cake.

Apparently Liverpool fans are responsible for the Hillsborough disaster and we murdered 39 Italians at Heysel.

Plus, of course, it's a conspiracy  "the authorities" will never allow Man City to win the CL   :laugh:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:44 pm

Always believed we could win at their place ,that's why I had to be there to witness it ,sometimes as a fan you either feel uneasy and nervous because you cant shake the feeling we're going to get beat ,and sometimes there's a tangible belief with the supporters 'that is equally unshakable' that we stand on the cusp of something great.

The power this fan base gives to eleven players wearing red is sometimes magical ,nothing can describe the transformation ,only clubs whose fans believe they hold this raw emotion and energy can produce something this special ! I thank God I support this wonderful football club because nights such as the two we've just witnessed make all the pain and disappointment over the years worth enduring.....Special club ,special fans and a manager and squad that believe it !!!!!
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:55 pm

woof woof ! » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:03 pm wrote:Watching the game again.

With the emotion absent from a live viewing I have to give our lads a bit more credit for their defensive performance in the first half.

Up against one of the top "flair" sides in the world we absorbed everything they threw at us and drew the sting out of them.

They were unlucky to have a valid goal ruled out BUT they were also lucky that their keeper remained on the pitch after he physically assaulted Mane three times (I'm still wondering why Mane didn't elect to fall over after the third shove)

p.s Had a look at one of their forums post the match, Christ ! I thought Neverton fans were bitter but the City fans take the cake.

Apparently Liverpool fans are responsible for the Hillsborough disaster and we murdered 39 Italians at Heysel.

Plus, of course, it's a conspiracy  "the authorities" will never allow Man City to win the CL   :laugh:

Yup i watched some extended highlights again and you are right Ederson should have been sent off. Mane slipped and by accident clipped the player. Ederson 4 times pushed Mane but thankfully Mane didn't respond and kept his cool. My take i think they were trying to get him sent off.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:56 pm

woof woof ! » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:03 pm wrote:Watching the game again.

Exactly right woof. Didn't understand the stick our players were getting from fans in the first half. We were playing against City, arguably the best team in Europe at the moment, at their own pitch! They were highly motivated by the occasion as well, and the early goal just gave them wings. People are complaining that we couldn't do the basic stuff right, but what I saw was us coping with immense pressure from a superior team in the best way we could. I think the boys deserve credit for that first half defensive performance.

We were lucky their second goal was disallowed, sure, but how many times have we seen important decisions going against us? The way I see it, we deserved that decision. But disallowed goal or not, it all boils down to one thing; were we or were we not the better team overall in both legs? We definitely were!
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:39 pm

Phil Thompson reacting to Salah goal :D

https://youtu.be/qLXQnnZQznQ
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:42 pm

redshade » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:39 pm wrote:Phil Thompson reacting to Salah goal :D

https://youtu.be/qLXQnnZQznQ

:laugh:

Luv the fella really   :buttrock  but,  Calm down Thommo ! at your age you could do yourself an injury .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Klopptomaniac » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:05 pm

woof woof ! » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:03 pm wrote:Watching the game again.

Spot on assessment Woof. I genuinely think this 'weak defence' tag we've been given has become a bit of a myth since VVD came in (and Robertson found his feet in front of a consistent no1) - we're still a centre back short but not half as weak as we were

Bluemoon are a seriously twisted bunch. The money has come with a serious dose of arrogance, bitterness and delusion.
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Eagle » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:10 pm

Was extremely confident up until I saw their team sheet and then a few nerves set in. I looked at David Silva, Bernardo Silva and De Bruyne and thought they could pin us back and that proved to be the case. De Bruyne kept dropping and finding space to pick the ball up. Pep's tactics worked well but we gave them momentum with a school boy mistake. They played some of the best football I've seen in a long time in that first half but our defence did pretty well considering what we were up against. From the start of the second half we looked more composed and although Man City were more dominate we were in the game (unlike the first half). Wijnaldum starting keeping the ball and finding a team mate, something none of the midfielder did in the first half, and I wasn't surprised when we scored. There were some nice passing moves before the goal so it wasn't luck. Even if Sane's goal had stood I'm confident we would have scored and gone through. This team is made of sterner stuff than they were 6 months ago. As Jurgen said after the game, this side is still in development, we have been getting better and better under his management and I'm confident it will continue.
Eagle

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:34 pm

I was impressed how our defence held out considering before January it was a bit shaky, but VVD has shored things up. Only conceding one goal in two matches v that bunch is a great achievement.

I was rubbing my hands, and so probably was Jurgen when we saw they were only playing three at the back. That's suicide against us.

TAA has shown great maturity for just a 19 year old. Hardly any errors over the two legs. Even Lovren did well.

We rode our luck in the first half, and we could not keep possession of the ball, kept giving it straight back to them, but I knew they would tire second half. Five goals to one overall, can't argue with that.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:55 pm

woof woof ! » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:03 pm wrote:p.s Had a look at one of their forums post the match, Christ ! I thought Neverton fans were bitter but the City fans take the cake.

Apparently they were going to create a "cauldron of fear and noise"   but the only fear I saw was of people worried about beating the traffic and leaving 20 mins early  :laugh:
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:10 pm

We weathered the storm we knew was coming and 1-0 at HT was ok really, City would inevitably drop off the pace and when they did we seized some control and punished them.

Replacing Couthino with Van Dijk has improved the team imo and we will be a handful for anyone in the semi finals.

The key now is managing our small squad and keeping the guys fresh and protected whilst not throwing top 4 away.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:19 am

Apparently Liverpool fans are responsible for the Hillsborough disaster and we [b]murdered
39 Italians at Heysel.

Plus, of course, it's a conspiracy  "the authorities" will never allow Man City to win the CL[/b]   :laugh:

That's what I was saying pre-match Woof. Geez... the hatred displayed on there... :laugh:  I would have thought that they were our mortal enemies and not the mancs... There were posts saying that they'd rather lose to their neighbours than us  :laugh:
And to think that some of our legendary players like Fowler played for them. Back then they were probably over the moon about our over the hill players playing for them...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:20 am

Good points Woof, yes they were unlucky with the disallowed goal but also lucky to get the first as that wasn't shoulder to shoulder Sterling on VVD (not that he could even reach his shoulder) it was a blatant push and we should have had a foul.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:32 am

2005 - The Goal that never was?
2018 - The Goal that never stood?

#Omen  :buttrock
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games