Manchester City V Liverpool 3/2/13 16:00

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby KingG » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:04 pm

another example why i was surprised Rodgers didnt find a defensive player to bring in , in January ...

but we gotta be positive, u cannot be any more pleased with the progress we have made and the way we are playing (mostly)
KingG

Postby Kukilon » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:04 pm

Still a great performance except some lapses in judgement by certain players. We played toe to toe with the most expensive team in the world and outperformed them.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby The Raven » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:05 pm

I think 4th was never on the table, so all i asked was to see that we can and have improved.

Looking at that team id say we have, so renia cocked up and cost us 2 points,

The point is most of us thought we where going to get as hiding and we didnt.

If you had told me we wouldnt lose to City or Arsenal i would have laughed in your face

Result in my book.
The Raven

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:09 pm

Another self inflicted two points dropped but it's a point more than I really expected to get. Our attack now looks potent but our defensive lapses are still there and that has to be addressed asap.

I think come the summer if the likes of Reina and Skrtel don't buck up their ideas and cut out these costly mistakes they need to be moved on. Reina's mistakes are always going to be more costly than anybody else's but after 5 solid years he looks stale and replaceable. Skrtel seemed to take a lot of blame from Rodgers for his performance at Oldham and under other recent games by losing his place and based on his involvement with today's calamity he's done himself no favours.

Sturridge was excellent again today and I think he's gone a long way to shutting the doubters up with another important goal and causing the citeh defence no end of trouble.

our performance as a whole deserved the three points and if we can keep these performances up and stop the stupid defensive mistakes then we can really push hard for a European place between now and May.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:13 pm

We could have had the double on these guys but we made two horrible defensive mistakes and it's cost us 4 points against the champions.  Really disappointed as we deserved the points.

Sturridge was fantastic today tho.  I still have doubts before I jump on the bandwagon, but he was fantastic today.  Gerrard and Hendo were good, and really I thought we had an all around good game for pretty much everybody.  We've played away to Arsenal, United, and City in the second half all ready, and we have a run of what should be easier games coming up.  Are hard games left with clubs above us are all home to spurs chelsea and everton, so I feel we are in a decent position still.  If we take advantage we could really catch up on some points.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby parchpea » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:06 pm

What a performance ruined again but a goalkeeping error and Reina has cost us a lot
of points in the past 18 months, and again we gift City a draw as we did at Anfield.

We are really making progress but need to learn how to turn good performances into wins
and on the flipside bad performances into wins or minimum draws.

There are tough decisions to be made on the positions of two of our more popular players
in Reina and for me Lucas, and whilst the latter has been injured I feel we need more of a
physical presence and power in that role and we missed a trick with the Allen money there.

Still just that bit short arent we and cant quite get over the line but its not far off.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby fivecups » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:12 pm

KingG » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:04 pm wrote:another example why i was surprised Rodgers didnt find a defensive player to bring in , in January ...

but we gotta be positive, u cannot be any more pleased with the progress we have made and the way we are playing (mostly)

Would have loved to see Samba come in.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:23 pm

Kukilon » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:04 pm wrote:Still a great performance except some lapses in judgement by certain players. We played toe to toe with the most expensive team in the world and outperformed them.

Credit to the manager for getting us performing to that level?
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:44 pm

Absolutely outstanding performance, we battered them and should have gotten away with 3 points if it wasn't for individual errors

What a beaut from Gerrard
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:00 pm

Happy with the overall performance, although disappointed we didn't see out the game at 2-1. Not sure what Reina was doing for their second. I've never been a massive fan of his to be honest. Type of keeper that will both win and lose you points in a season, prefer keepers to be a bit more steady. Main thing for me over the last 2 games is I am starting to see the players adapting and getting used to the way BR wants us to play and I have been impressed. We just need to cut out the silly mistakes and concentrate for the full 90 and I am hopeful we will be pushing on. Top four will be beyond us this season (would have been a magnificent achievement by BR in his first season with the squad he inherited) but next season we should be there or thereabouts IMO.
Doeboy

Postby RedHands » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:01 pm

Great game. I think we looked pretty good and deserved to take all 3 points.

Positives:
Vintage Stevie G strike.
Sturridge had a great game and besides scoring does a great job of holding the ball up
Carra had a great game. We've really missed his leadership and I prefer him to Skrtel at the moment
Midfield was working well and didnt' give city any time at all
Enrique is a beast. Lets hope he can stay healthy 

Complaints: Reina, Reina, Reina. I would argue that had we had a better keeper we would have taken full points at Arsenal (Walcott's goal) and City. He needs to be replaced in the summer because he has been sh*te all year.

Why didn't we use any attacking subs? Maybe Rodgers doesn't trust Borini, Sterling, or Shelvey but surely their fresh legs could have helped us in the last two games.

Our defending is awful sometimes. We get beaten far too easily with a give and go (See Walcott's goal and Dzeko's goal) which is pretty easy to defend against. Rodgers specialty is passing, but I think he needs to bring in someone who can really help our defenders with positioning.
RedHands
LFC Basic Member

Postby Penguins » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:35 pm

While it is easy to blame everything on the defense and goalie(who where poor I admit) I still think we were extemely wasteful with our chances.
We created many opportunities and it took 2 superb shots to get through. We need simple goals, goals that just happen cause you take your chances, hit the target and that's that. Now it took 2 special individual efforts
to make it count but it had zero to do with teamplay. When we do create some chances we just waste chances after chance. If our offensive had done their part, nobody would had cared 2 mistakes at the back as we would be 3 or 4 up by then,
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:55 pm

Penguins » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:35 pm wrote:While it is easy to blame everything on the defense and goalie(who where poor I admit) I still think we were extemely wasteful with our chances.
We created many opportunities and it took 2 superb shots to get through. We need simple goals, goals that just happen cause you take your chances, hit the target and that's that. Now it took 2 special individual efforts
to make it count but it had zero to do with teamplay. When we do create some chances we just waste chances after chance. If our offensive had done their part, nobody would had cared 2 mistakes at the back as we would be 3 or 4 up by then,

We weren't playing Norwich man, we were playing against last years champions. You can't expect us to score 4 goals against that kind of opposition at their ground. Individual wonder goals or not, the attackers got their job done.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:44 pm

it was a great performance and while it was disapointing not to get the three points im happy that we carried the level of performance from the arsenal game to this one.
we showed great charachter to get back in it at 1 down and then go 2-1 up. reina f'ucked up big time when he came for that and should have let skyrtel go with him. it still took a sweet touch from aguero to find the net at that angle but still no excuses for pepe.
i think thats the best ive ever seen sturridge play in red or any other colour, our man of the match for me closely followed by stevie and suarez.
sadly thats 4th gone as well as citys chances of catching manure, 9pts is a lot to gain in this league especially this season with the way it has been.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby killerp » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:07 am

Have not watched the game yet but seen the highlights, WTF Reina? oooooo the knives will be out for you ....................

Other than that well done, happy that Rogers fielded experience over youth.
killerp

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games