LIVERPOOL VS SUNDERLAND - Saturday 25th sept 15:00

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Greavesie » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:56 pm

who gives a feck what pundits say?? Against the Mancs I thought O'Shea should have walked, no one on MOTD agreed with me, does that make me wrong. Like sh!t it does
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby bigmick » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:58 pm

Those same pundits had much to say about our manager last season and were dismissed out of hand, all of them. Now, they say it should have been a penalty against us and we are supposed to accept their word as the absolute definate proof of it being so? I'm confused.

I didn't think it was a penalty though, if that helps.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:03 pm

Greavesie wrote:who gives a feck what pundits say?? Against the Mancs I thought O'Shea should have walked, no one on MOTD agreed with me, does that make me wrong. Like sh!t it does

Not just pundits mate even current managers like de matteo were saying it this morning - I can understand why O Shea wasn't given the red card but it was still given as a foul and the ref would of given a penalty if it was in the box even if he wasn't getting the ball . Just watched both incidents again and they are blatant and we should count ourselves lucky IMO . P.s I'm not saying it's a bad thing by the way
Benny The Noon

Postby bigmick » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:05 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:Just watched both incidents again and they are blatant and we should count ourselves lucky IMO . P.s I'm not saying it's a bad thing by the way

No of course not  :D
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:12 pm

bigmick wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:Just watched both incidents again and they are blatant and we should count ourselves lucky IMO . P.s I'm not saying it's a bad thing by the way

No of course not  :D

Reminder
Benny The Noon

Postby fivecups » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:18 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:red card and stonewall penalty .

I've rewatched both incidents quite a few times And I'd agree with this, especially the red card.

I'm convinced there was intent from Gerrard - his left elbow moves in the direction of Wellbeck albeit subtley, for no reason other than to make contact. I'll bet there was an incident in the preceeding 10 minutes that wound him up. I'm also convinced from Gerrards reaction that he thought he was getting a straight red - he walked a mile away from the ref after he blew his whistle. 

Re. the penalty, Wellbeck got there first, got the touch and was absolutely taken out by Reina who got nothing of the ball, clear penalty. I've seen Gerrard do it tons of times and there nearly always given. Re. Bobs point, I think he could have run onto it but I'd need to watch it again. Penalty for me.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:09 pm

That's exactly how I saw it as well mate - Gerrards reaction was one of a guilty man and IMO it looked like he jumped sideways into the man as opposed to upwards towards the ball - his head was nowhere near the ball .
Benny The Noon

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:36 pm

On the subject of Gerrard, what a pearl of goal he scored.  All credit to Torres, of course, for setting him up: he had to first get through the robust Bramble challenge on the touchline, keep the ball in play and then get a good cross in, all of which he did.  But, Turner got a little of the cross and changed its flight subtly, forcing Gerrard--who started the move at the edge of his own area and ran the length of the pitch to finish it off--to adjust his body slightly.  Still, he met the ball sweetly and guided it into the top corner, with the perfect blend of power and placement to give their keeper no chance.  Top stuff.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:43 pm

On the subject of Reina, there were a couple of stand-out moments as well.  First was their actual penalty, which he got down smartly to and almost kept it out.  We often see this kind of thing from the lad and I think have grown a bit blase about it but he really does have an uncanny knack of guessing the right way and getting a hand to penalties.  It took an absolute perfect strike from Bent to beat him but our Pepe almost came up trumps again on a spot kick.

The other moment was later on in the first half, When Sunderland pumped the ball long looking for Welbeck, I believe.  In any case, it was a tricky one because it got over Skrtel's head but was clearly going to bounce short of Reina's area.  No bother, Pepe was on it--in fact, he was already out towards the edge of his area as the ball came forward but he had a decision to make: stay in his area and try and catch with an attacker barreling in on him or step up and lose the ability to handle.  He opted for the latter and, cool as you like, chested the ball out of the attacker's reach before calmly stepping up and side-footing it Carra to end the danger.  Ciggy expressed some concern earlier in the thread that Reina's looking a little ropey under Roy but I honestly don't see it.  He still reads the game superbly and 98% of his decision making is still spot on.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby puroresu » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:10 am

Fauxy wrote:Gerrards challenge was never a red imo.

He didnt intend to go straight into his face with his elbow, there was no maliciousness behind it. It was clumsy. Yellow was a fair choice.

Reina on Welbeck was NEVER a penalty. Was discussing this with my manc mate last night. If Reina hadnt have touched him what would have happened? F.uck all. The ball was easily going out for a goal kick by a mile. Reina couldnt stop himself running into him could he, nor could Welbeck avoid running into Reina. Sorry but I struggle to see how people can honestly claim its a penalty.

it does not matter if the player will not reach the ball.  Thats not the deciding factor.  There was contact and a clear penalty.
puroresu

Postby Fauxy » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:24 am

If the ball wasnt there then it would have been deemed that they ran into eachother though.

They were both at fault. Pepe couldnt stop even though he knew their was no threat anymore + Welbeck couldnt stop because he was already running forward. If the ball was at Welbecks feet then yeah its a definate penalty but the ball was nearly completely off the pitch when the collision took place.

Just like Bad Bob said earlier, all the tussles that go on in the box between players before a corner/free kick is being taken wouldnt be ok if the ball was right next to them but because the ball is dead there are no fouls given. The ref might pull them away to have a word with them but there is never a penalty given unless its blatent like a headbutt or something.
Fauxy

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:17 am

Bad Bob wrote:On the subject of Reina, there were a couple of stand-out moments as well.  First was their actual penalty, which he got down smartly to and almost kept it out.  We often see this kind of thing from the lad and I think have grown a bit blase about it but he really does have an uncanny knack of guessing the right way and getting a hand to penalties.  It took an absolute perfect strike from Bent to beat him but our Pepe almost came up trumps again on a spot kick.

The other moment was later on in the first half, When Sunderland pumped the ball long looking for Welbeck, I believe.  In any case, it was a tricky one because it got over Skrtel's head but was clearly going to bounce short of Reina's area.  No bother, Pepe was on it--in fact, he was already out towards the edge of his area as the ball came forward but he had a decision to make: stay in his area and try and catch with an attacker barreling in on him or step up and lose the ability to handle.  He opted for the latter and, cool as you like, chested the ball out of the attacker's reach before calmly stepping up and side-footing it Carra to end the danger.  Ciggy expressed some concern earlier in the thread that Reina's looking a little ropey under Roy but I honestly don't see it.  He still reads the game superbly and 98% of his decision making is still spot on.

His clearing tackle after Gerrards header back was a bit short was superb , if Pepe wasnt alert then bent would of been through but Pepe cleaned it up excellently . At the moment he is being a better cb than Skrtel .
Benny The Noon

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:19 am

Fauxy wrote:If the ball wasnt there then it would have been deemed that they ran into eachother though.

They were both at fault. Pepe couldnt stop even though he knew their was no threat anymore + Welbeck couldnt stop because he was already running forward. If the ball was at Welbecks feet then yeah its a definate penalty but the ball was nearly completely off the pitch when the collision took place.

Just like Bad Bob said earlier, all the tussles that go on in the box between players before a corner/free kick is being taken wouldnt be ok if the ball was right next to them but because the ball is dead there are no fouls given. The ref might pull them away to have a word with them but there is never a penalty given unless its blatent like a headbutt or something.

Fauxy - the forward had just nicked the ball past pepe when the collision happened - it wasnt on the bye line or miles away - yes the ball might of gone out but Pepe came out for the ball - Welbeck got there just before him and then pepe took him out .
Benny The Noon

Postby fivecups » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:26 am

Bad Bob wrote:On the subject of Gerrard, what a pearl of goal he scored.  All credit to Torres, of course, for setting him up: he had to first get through the robust Bramble challenge on the touchline, keep the ball in play and then get a good cross in, all of which he did.  But, Turner got a little of the cross and changed its flight subtly, forcing Gerrard--who started the move at the edge of his own area and ran the length of the pitch to finish it off--to adjust his body slightly.  Still, he met the ball sweetly and guided it into the top corner, with the perfect blend of power and placement to give their keeper no chance.  Top stuff.

Totally agree Bobster, natural brilliance.

Anyone else curious about Torres after the goal - didn't celebrate at all just ran back to his own half  - possibly just wanted to get on and try and win the game??
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:50 am

Yeah he did really well to adjust after the deflection and then put power into it , great finish . I don't think too much should be read into the reaction - it seemed Torres just wanted to get back to get the game started again to try and get a winner
Benny The Noon

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games