Liverpool Vs Southampton

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby lakes10 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:55 pm

strange game, lookked like we was walking it in the first half and should have been 3 up, in the end i think we made a real meal out of that game.
but its a win
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Raven » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:06 pm

Highlighted our need for goal scorers again.

However a win is a win! and Lucas is back

Id count that as a result
The Raven

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:38 pm

should have wiped the floor with them but we where all huff and no puff.
again no sahin or suso but another chance for hendo :glare:  but then again we just might be saving them for the weak old hammers :eyebrow .
we where always in control of that match and never looked like conceeding so i was a bit miffed that both our changes were defensive ones.
if anything our finishing should be improving as we go on but it is isnt and its down to the same silly mistakes we constantly make. we desperately need a goalscorer in january that can take the pressure off others.
other than that it was a clean sheet and 3pts :bowdown
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:53 pm

another win in the league and another step towards the transfer window.  I'm expecting us to start a little run from now to xmas, which could see us pushing for top 6...or higher.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:37 pm

Good first half ,disgusting 2nd ,seems we have reached our glass ceiling and now waiting for new blood. Carrol's injury answered one question but who will be our answer?
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:53 pm

disgusting 2nd? a bit over the top. before the game i'd have taken any kind of win. i'll take rubbish boring scrappy 1-0 wins from now till january anyday of the week.

first half we were really good and should have been further ahead. it was easily gerrard's best game of the season. also lucas is boss and just brings such a calm authority to the midfield.

we may see suarez in udinese aswell now as he's suspended for west ham.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby eds » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:03 am

As St Mick said, a win is a win. Also couldn't care less if we win the rest of our games 1-0 for the rest of the year.

It's getting quiet tight between 6th and 11th with only 4 points seperating six teams!

Another spanner in the works is going to be Cheatski and how s**t they are doing.

If and as I have been saying all along, and its a very 'big' IF, we buy a striker that will do the job in January there is no reason why we can finish b/w 6th and 4th.  :)
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby laza » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:26 am

Well we play well and lose and the old cliche is trotted out that all matters is points

We got the points irrespective of how disgusting how play was in second  half and that apparently is all that matters

One loss in 10 games, Lucas back into the side and transfer window less then month ago

Still long road ahead but the journey not as dark as some would like to believe
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:27 am

Suarez got booked, does that mean he misses next match?
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby laza » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:29 am

Greavesie » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:27 am wrote:Suarez got booked, does that mean he misses next match?

Yes Greavesie mate you only have to check the sky site headlines  to see shock horror he will miss the west ham match
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:50 am

laza » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:29 am wrote:
Greavesie » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:27 am wrote:Suarez got booked, does that mean he misses next match?

Yes Greavesie mate you only have to check the sky site headlines  to see shock horror he will miss the west ham match

Ah right, just had a look, I see what you mean  :D
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Kenny Kan » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:16 am

We win and again we get 5 pages. Tells you something about the support on here.  :no

Anyway, it wasn't the most inspiring match or win but at the moment we're in no position to be demanding/expecting vintage performances hammering sides 5-0. So, I'll happily take that all day long thank you very much.

We bossed the first half and yet for all our efforts I thought it was going to be a goalless first half, which has been pretty typical of us for the last couple of seasons now. So it was heartening to see Agger (someone different) nod us in front with a good header.

Second half was pedestrian and one in which finals balls were worryingly wasted again.

Individual performances, well they're a few, Jose Enrique MotM for me. Just as well he's hitting some sort of form really because we're in need of the extra help that Suarez only offers. He was a beast again today marauding forward and looked more threatening than the likes of Gerrard, Sterling and Shelvey combined.

Considering Lucas has been out for 3 months I thought he did brilliantly well and didn't look as rusty as I'd have expected. His positioning is something else, and yes he gave Allen more license to go forward who especially in the first half looked slightly better trying to link up with Suarez and co with neat little passes and pressing opponents. Not so much of a goal threat mind but I didn't expect Lucas's return to suddenly make Joe Allen look like Zidane, the Brazillian's return also did nothing to help improve Gerrard's poor form. I think dropping Gerrard and playing Suso in there would be well worth a look but back to Lucas, he was pretty immense today.

Johnson, our other fullback as reliant and as consistent as ever had a good game too.

Shelvey IMO looked like a bit of a donkey. And Sterling is either knackered or has ran out of ideas a bit - he has excellent movement and a good footballing brain but doesn't to me look the threat he was with the ball at his feet as much as earlier on in the season.

It was written in the stars wasn't it, Suarez banned against WH which leaves us desperate for a recognised striker, while our 35 Million pound loan player is playing for fat heads team.

Haven't seen the table yet, but if we've managed to break into the top half (oh how times have changed), I'll drink a rum to that right now.
Last edited by Kenny Kan on Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:25 am

Just seen the table - cuppa it is then.  :(

7pts off 4th. 3pts a must at high flying West Ham, Oh bollox just noticed Udinese squeezed into the fixture for our depleted squad to play. I honestly believe it would be a blessing if we leave the UEFA - we just don't have the squad, our players need some proper f.ucking rest time.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby alwayslfc » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:20 am

Like the Reading game it was a hard won game and a lot of similarities with that game. That is, we played well till we scored and then we were contented to sit back and defend that slim lead and gave the opponents lots of ball possession. A better side would have severely punished us. It is very un-Liverpool to play like this, we should go for that 2nd and 3rd goal after scoring. I believe attack is the best form of defence and we proved it before we scored. So I hope not to see this kind of tactic in the future.

Suarez is suspended for W.Ham game, oh no. Who will be our striker for that game? I cannot wait until the January window to see which striker we will bring in to partner Suarez and I pray Suarez will not be snatched by any club.
alwayslfc

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:31 am

Just landed in Houston, saw the result and read the match report. Seems like another dominant display (according to the match stats anyway) yet scraping the win. Regardless 3 points and slowly making progress up the table.

The Suarez yellow card is annoying, especially after reading it was for handball. That said at least it gets the suspension out of the way before a very busy xmas period.

With the absence of Suarez vs West Ham, I assume that Rodgers will play either a false 9 with Shelvey up top (as he did in the Europa league game) or play Sterling as a solo striker. Neither is ideal, we'll have to come up with good tactics for this one methinks.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games