LIVERPOOL vs MANCHESTER CITY Aug 26 15:00 GMT

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:00 am

The BPL Champions make their way to Anfield this Sunday aiming to bag 3 points to maintain their lead over their neighbours as well as to ensure they don't fall behind Chelsea. Sergio Aguero will only be able to return after the international break, but with players like Dzeko, Balotelli and Tevez, he won't be entirely missed especially against a Liverpool defense which are unable to call upon the services of Danish international Daniel Agger. The other injury concern for City is Gareth Barry so it's expected that either De Jong or Rodwell starts in his place.

Based on the Community Shield game, while City have a mouth-watering array of attacking talents, they were vulnerable at the back. But then again, they were up against an impressive attacking duo of Mata and Hazard. Liverpool on the other hand are unable to boast such attacking talents bar Suarez, and Steven Gerrard, whose captaincy should be reviewed based on his sorry displays which are becoming all to frequent.

My prediction is that we'll either draw 0-0 or lose 0-2. The man to watch would be Yaya Toure. Though he plays in a rather defensive position, his ability to shoot from range shouldn't be underestimated. Hopefully Fabio Borini plays today as the main striker and not on the wings. Would prefer someone like Suarez, Gerrard or Sterling there. Though it's unlikely that Sterling will start, so expect Downing to line-up on the left side of attack.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Boocity » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:53 am

I don't think I have ever read a more depressing and defeatist start to a match thread.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redalltheway36 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:10 am

i think we will do ok. As in the past we always do better and  more motivated against the top teams.
redalltheway36
LFC Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:39 am

Boocity » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:53 am wrote:I don't think I have ever read a more depressing and defeatist start to a match thread.

:D
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:51 am

Kenny Kan » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:39 am wrote:
Boocity » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:53 am wrote:I don't think I have ever read a more depressing and defeatist start to a match thread.

Our season starts here.

We need some bounceabackability.

We will need to take our chances and convert them. If we do this, I can't see no reason why can't win.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:13 pm

Pass the noose. I dunno how you get through the day as a Liverpool supporter maxpax.

I prefer to think that we will surprise everyone. First home game, due a performance, if this game doesn't motivate then nothing will.

Also kick off is at 4pm not 3
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:27 pm

maypaxvobiscum

Postby Boocity » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:36 pm

Kenny Kan » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:51 am wrote:
Kenny Kan » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:39 am wrote:

Our season starts here.

We need some bounceabackability.

We will need to take our chances and convert them. If we do this, I can't see no reason why can't win.

That's better, maybe you should have started the thread
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:01 pm

i watched city last week on the telly and they werent that impressive, silva didnt play well (he got brought off) and when he`s not firing on all cylinders they dont look half the side. aguero wont be playing either so he`ll be a big loss to them.
as a club (and considering they`ve just won their first title since 1968) they seem a bit flat to me, there has definately been trouble behind the scene`s between mancini and marwood and as we know only too well as a club that doesnt help at all.
i think mancini and their fans have had the wind taken out of their sails a bit by the sheiks reigning in the spending and united getting van persie, i think they were expecting another spending spree this summer.
i think it`s a good time to be playing them and i dont think city will win, i think it will most probably be a draw (or we might sneak it).
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby The Good Yank » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:27 pm

We'll win 3-2.  Suarez, Borini, Gerrard for us.  2 from Toure for them.

(Guess which players I have in FF)
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby RedRory » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:07 pm

Im usually very optomistic going into big games like this but after watching the west brom game I have to admit that im a bit fearful for us. We controlled large parts of the game against west brom but were still unable to find the back of the net, mostly down to suarez not taking his chances, and we created plenty of chances for him. Against a team like city those chances are going to become even more limited so if suarez is our central striker he is going to have to discover his goal scoring touch and quick. Hopefuly the big game ocasion will bring the best out of him.  Im not sure starting borini in the center is the answer either. I have alot of confidence that he will prove to be a good signing for us but i think that he might be too lightweight up against the likes of experienced defenders like Kompany, lescott and zabaleta. For me Andy Carroll would be the man to go with but he is alot less mobile than either suarez or borini and would rely on good service which he rarely gets.

Obviously Agger being suspended is a huge loss to us. Im not sure carragher is the right man to go with as replacement, but i think he is the only option. If enrique is still out then kelly will play right with johnson on the left leaving coates as the only other option and i think he might still be a bit too inexperienced in the premier league to trust in such a big game.

The team is also getting used to playing a new system which also goes against us at present. The new system will play dividends, lets hope that it is sooner rather than later (tomorrow would be ideal)  :D

I hate being a pesamist and feel free to slate me and try to talk some sense into me.

Hopefully henderson, adam, spearing and shelvey dont play any part until we are coasting to a great win, i didnt tink any of them were any good against hearts on thursday, none of them looked like they had a clue how the new system should work and were constantly too slow on the ball, getting closed down and passing back to the defence. Joe allen looked good when he came on towards the end of the game and made space for himself well and im sure himself, lucas and gerrard will make up our three man midfield. Hopefully gerrard wont have another bad game and will try get himself into the game and make things happen for us.

I expect something like this as our line up:

Reina
Kelly-Carragher-Skrtel-Jonhson
              Lucas-Allen
                Gerrard
Suarez-Carroll-Borini/Assaidi

Probably Borini as its quite a big game for Assaidi to be making his debut.

A draw would be a good result, a win and expectations will be through the roof again im sure, i wont mention the "L" word as no one here wants to hear it.
RedRory

Postby BrucesLegs » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:52 pm

I can see a good game ahead and one where we need 3 points.
All got to be on form for this one, no slip ups either, solid at the back no hesitation and/or confusion as at WBA.
Would love to see a Carroll goal but will the manager use him? Dont know, but for me he is far more useful than Borini he dont look like he has it in him to be a success for us, hope I`m wrong there but have a bad vibe about him. Luis got to keep his cool as well, other teams are winding him up all too easily and he can lose it big time. Heres hoping for 3 points, a narrow win but one that we need to have a bit of faith in the new regime.
BrucesLegs
LFC newBie

Postby Aussie Style » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:02 am

Green bib theory: Pepe, Kelly, Coates, Skrtel, Jonno, Lucas, Allen, Stevie, Assaidi/Sterling, Borini, Suarez
Aussie Style
LFC Super Member

Postby lakes10 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:06 am

easy to sum up this game, if we play like we have for the last few games and dont convert our chances will we get beat 0-2 or 0-3. if we do play better and convert our chances then we will win 3-2 or 4-3.

down to the players to do what they are being paid to do.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:21 am

We are playing the champions so let's just go for it. All out attack.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - Games