LIVERPOOL vs MANCHESTER CITY Aug 26 15:00 GMT

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Kenny Kan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:12 am

Get off Reina's back. This system is big change up for our Goal-keeper, in fact i'd say even more so than for the two CBs. I don't know how many touches he had on the ball yesterday (to feet) but I reckon he made more passes than Jordan Henderson managed in any game last season. Several of which were under quite a bit of pressure with City attackers bearing down on him, at one stage he had to field a 25 yard chip pass (one of Allen's rare errors) with Tevez right on top of him but he didn't panic and dealt with it as the whole stadium let out a collective sigh. I was impressed with his play yesterday.

You're talking about the ball being at Reina's feet which is a total difference. Everyone man and his dog knows Reina's more than competent with the ball at his feet - that's not the issue. I was referring to the fundamentals of keeping - making the decision to come for a cross or not in the first place, then once the decision to come for the cross is made, it's imperative he at least gets some sort of contact on it. Rather than flapping (as he has been doing) at nothing and unsettling the defense on almost every set piece or cross, his decision making at these points in time have been erratic and this isn't the first time he's done this - but it seems more prominent now. He should have come and collected that cross for their first goal, or stayed on his line, he did neither and that resulted in a soft goal.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:57 pm

Kenny Kan » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:12 pm wrote:
  Get off Reina's back. This system is big change up for our Goal-keeper, in fact i'd say even more so than for the two CBs. I don't know how many touches he had on the ball yesterday (to feet) but I reckon he made more passes than Jordan Henderson managed in any game last season. Several of which were under quite a bit of pressure with City attackers bearing down on him, at one stage he had to field a 25 yard chip pass (one of Allen's rare errors) with Tevez right on top of him but he didn't panic and dealt with it as the whole stadium let out a collective sigh. I was impressed with his play yesterday.

You're talking about the ball being at Reina's feet which is a total difference. Everyone man and his dog knows Reina's more than competent with the ball at his feet - that's not the issue. I was referring to the fundamentals of keeping - making the decision to come for a cross or not in the first place, then once the decision to come for the cross is made, it's imperative he at least gets some sort of contact on it. Rather than flapping (as he has been doing) at nothing and unsettling the defense on almost every set piece or cross, his decision making at these points in time have been erratic and this isn't the first time he's done this - but it seems more prominent now. He should have come and collected that cross for their first goal, or stayed on his line, he did neither and that resulted in a soft goal.

Reina has never been a good box/set pieces keeper ,he isn't a big lad so he is having problems handling the bodies in the box. But he more then compensates this weakness with superb instincts and man to man goal keeping. Kelly should have done much better after Reina missed the cross.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:06 pm

just caught up with the game. i'm taking nothing but positives from that despite the defensive errors. i thought rodgers spoke brilliantly after the game. this was our youngest starting eleven since 2003 and i applaud the manager for not bowing to reputation. thought sterling was excellent aswell as coates. allen is just a class act and anyone questioning the price tag can just get lost.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:00 am

only me » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:57 pm wrote:
Reina has never been a good box/set pieces keeper ,he isn't a big lad so he is having problems handling the bodies in the box. But he more then compensates this weakness with superb instincts and man to man goal keeping. Kelly should have done much better after Reina missed the cross.

Pepe's a top shelf keeper, wouldn't knock him on his performance in dead ball situations but would agree that he sometimes "flaps" at crosses into a crowded box

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games