LIVERPOOL vs ATLETICO - Europa semi (2nd leg) - Thurs 29/04/10 - k.o 8.05pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby red37 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:37 pm

Image  Vs  Image

Hopefully the ash cloud will not have an effect on the chances of the match going ahead.  The game is being shown live on Channel FIVE on Thursday 22nd April - with kick off at 8.05pm.

Latest BBC Update

A great shame that Torres will not be available for selection, especially at the Vicente Calderon due to requiring surgery on his knee injury.  Im certain he would have received a warm welcome from the vast majority inside the stadium.  Infact isnt this the second occasion where we have played Atletico and Fernando has not been fit?  Perhaps some things really aren't meant to be. A shame though in any case - not only for the player, but for both sets of supporters denying them the opportunity to offer their adulation.

Nevertheless, a tougher prospect in store as a consequence and one that the manager or the rest of the lads simply cannot take for granted.  At this stage of any cup competition...focus has to be 100%.  Even in a tournament that has been much maligned from several quarters - once you get as far as the semi's, after achieving that target i see no reason whatsoever to persist in treating it as some 'poor relation' to the Champions League despite the supporters clamour for the latter.  Relinquishing notions of sour grapes over the abscence from the lucrative 'business end' of things in the principle European tournament.  It is still a major trophy - thereby paramount that Liverpool FC present a good account of themselves whilst still taking part.

I fully anticipate, even expect, that to be the case...

Whether events do actually transpire to accomplish the successful negotiation of that task, remains to be seen given the recent history between both sides [in the CL].  As we know - they aint no pushover - even allowing for an equally dismal domestic campaign.  The chance of silverware is a galvanising force. I can't see anything about this tie as a whole that is going to be easily traversed.  In terms of opinion, my own is derived from, on the one hand desperately hoping to save some grace by way of another pot to add at least a modicum of polish to the end of a complete 'turd of a year....'  To facing the prospect of having Atletico shred our last remaining hopes apart (and they are most certainly able....)

Anyhow, with the likelihood increasing that the game itself will be going ahead and the added weight of managing to salvage 'something' of credibility from the ashes of a truly abysmal season, lets wholeheartedly get behind the team and the inclinations of the manager and support this venture all the way to Hamburg.

'Woodwork crawlers' get IBTL now, so as to avoid having to offer your dubious testimonies (a'la 2005) as a result of deciding to jump on any late bandwagons that may (or may not...) arrive with a 41st Major Honour.  All indeed is far from well....but this, should it go to plan - would at the least offer some reward. Albeit scant.  For its not entirely clear cut whether or not this great Club will venture anywhere near foreign soil again. At least for a while.

Make the best of it then!  YNWA

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sabre » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:38 pm

I'm praying here. Reg got me two tickets for that game (I won't forget that gift ever), and I've asked two days off at work. What else could go wrong this season? Getting two tickets from Reg and a Vulcan ruining it? :(

FFS, I hope the game goes ahead. I was planning to prepare a match thread after todays game, so I'll post it in this one. :)
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:54 pm

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/madrid-game-to-go-ahead
Liverpool FC has been advised by UEFA that the Europa League semi-final tie with Atletico Madrid goes ahead at the Vincente Calderon Stadium on Thursday. The club is currently examining all travel options.

Author: Liverpool FC
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:06 pm

Liverpool set to avoid 21-hour journey from hell despite UEFA giving green light to Europa League semi-finals
By Sportsmail Reporter Last updated at 4:19 PM on 19th April 2010
Liverpool could be saved a monster trip to Madrid after it was revealed that the flight ban will be lifted on Tuesday.

UEFA refused to postpone Liverpool's Europa League semi-final against Atletico Madrid on Thursday - leaving the players, staff and fans facing a 2,600-mile overland journey to Spain.
But the news from air traffic control company Nats has now eased their fears over making the massive trip.

Liverpool are now set to travel by train and coach to Bordeaux before catching a flight to Madrid.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby red37 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:59 pm

Sabre wrote:I was planning to prepare a match thread after todays game, so I'll post it in this one. :)

No worries Ivan.

I was inspired for a bit this afternoon thats all....  :D

Lets hope it DOES go ahead and that you enjoy your experience in the Cauldron.  With an away goal or two as a significant bonus!

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sabre » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:08 pm

red37 wrote:
Sabre wrote:I was planning to prepare a match thread after todays game, so I'll post it in this one. :)

No worries Ivan.

Lets hope it DOES go ahead and that you enjoy your experience in the Cauldron.  With an away goal or two as a significant bonus!

The Cauldron  :D very appropiate.

It's a very especial game for me because Vicente Calderon is one of the few stadiums I haven't visited, and it will be a pleasure to be there to watch Liverpool play  :buttrock. 8am we leave San Sebastian, and we plan to have lunch in the Sierra (mountains before reaching Madrid), so we'll be there at 13.00 PM. 500KM or so, can't wait.

I just hope not to find too many atleticos in the posh zone Reg got me the tickets  :D
Last edited by Sabre on Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:01 pm

Sabre wrote:
red37 wrote:

No worries Ivan.

The Cauldron  :D very appropiate.

It's a very especial game for me because Vicente Calderon is one of the few stadiums I haven't visited, and it will be a pleasure to be there to watch Liverpool play  :buttrock. 8am we leave San Sebastian, and we plan to have lunch in the Sierra (mountains before reaching Madrid), so we'll be there at 13.00 PM. 500KM or so, can't wait.

I just hope not to find too many atleticos in the posh zone Reg got me the tickets

:D  Well it IS Reg.......bound to be a bit civilised!

8am we leave San Sebastian, and we plan to have lunch in the Sierra (mountains before reaching Madrid), so we'll be there at 13.00 PM.

I'll be doing the washing and going to Tesco.....

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Fauxy » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:58 pm

Benaoyun is a must for this one. Was superb tonight, such a clever player.
Fauxy

Postby andy_g » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:03 pm

Sabre wrote:I'm praying here. Reg got me two tickets for that game (I won't forget that gift ever), and I've asked two days off at work. What else could go wrong this season? Getting two tickets from Reg and a Vulcan ruining it? :(

FFS, I hope the game goes ahead. I was planning to prepare a match thread after todays game, so I'll post it in this one. :)

bummer. i had my hands on a ticket but had to give it up due to other commitments. would have been good to have another beer with you.

must remember to be nice to reg in future... just in case...

as much as i'd like to see babel play up top for this one i doubt its going to happen - so hopefully ngog will be able to replicate his nice finish from last night and we'll get at least one away goal. either that or one of aquilani's bicycle kicks comes off. i think that if we draw a blank tonight then we'll have problems.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:28 pm

I think we should win this one, A.Madrid are having an even poorer season than we are, and with Aguero missing will struggle even more than we will without Torres. I think Rafa will flood the midfield for this match, play one up front and hope to snatch the all important away goal. I think we may do even better than that and win 2-0.

Reina
Johnson          Carra                  Big Greek            Agger

Masch            Lucas         Gerrard

Aquilani      Benny
                              Kuyt
account deleted by request

Postby Fauxy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:52 pm

:O  I didnt know they were without Aguero!

We will win this :)
Fauxy

Postby Sabre » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:54 pm

Reyes, former Arsenal player says on Torres something on the lines of "We'll miss Kun Aguero just as they miss Torres, but we need more Aguero than they need Torres".

I don't agree that, because even them have a Forlan as second option. We have Ngog.

It won't be an easy game, and it will be a very unpredictable draw, you never know with Atletico, they might come from 3 defeats, but with guys like Forlan or Aguero they are very dangerous with the away goals.

P.S. Andy, hard luck. Anyone from here going?
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:00 pm

s@int wrote:Liverpool set to avoid 21-hour journey from hell despite UEFA giving green light to Europa League semi-finals
By Sportsmail Reporter Last updated at 4:19 PM on 19th April 2010
Liverpool could be saved a monster trip to Madrid after it was revealed that the flight ban will be lifted on Tuesday.

UEFA refused to postpone Liverpool's Europa League semi-final against Atletico Madrid on Thursday - leaving the players, staff and fans facing a 2,600-mile overland journey to Spain.
But the news from air traffic control company Nats has now eased their fears over making the massive trip.

Liverpool are now set to travel by train and coach to Bordeaux before catching a flight to Madrid.

What train is that - might just wish the lads all the best  :D

I feel positivo about this - hopefully the journey does not prove to be a factor - come on reds fancy us to get an away goal  :buttrock
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:04 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/apr/20/liverpool-europa-league-tie

Any news on how the travelling RED ARMY will be getting there?
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:37 pm

Follow the team live if you could be bothered!!

Its got to the stage where people cant pi$$ without it being on the internet
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - Games