Liverpool vs Aston Villa - 18th January 2014

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Doeboy » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:12 pm

red till i die!! » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:57 pm wrote:we just threw away 2 points today and in truth only for another flaky penalty we would have got nothing. the first half was just absolutely shocking with equally shocking defending .
we have far too many average to poor players in the side and today it showed. coutinho was closed down everytime same with suarez who hardly got any space and we struggled to create anything.
never thought we would ever be contenders for the league but even in a fight for 4th you cannot afford to throw away points against a side like that.

I've kept a close eye on Coutinho in recent games and there is no doubt the boy is quality but my only concern is when teams make it a real physical battle in midfield, like Villa, he really does dissapear from the game. Still a young lad and only been here for a year and confident that will improve as time goes by
Doeboy

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:20 pm

red till i die!! » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:57 pm wrote:we just threw away 2 points today and in truth only for another flaky penalty we would have got nothing. the first half was just absolutely shocking with equally shocking defending .
we have far too many average to poor players in the side and today it showed. coutinho was closed down everytime same with suarez who hardly got any space and we struggled to create anything.
never thought we would ever be contenders for the league but even in a fight for 4th you cannot afford to throw away points against a side like that.

We did well to come back from 2 goals down but it could have been embarrassing, abonlahor (sp?) missed a sitter in the opening minute and that one that hit the post could have easily gone in. We were an absolute shambles at the back, especially in the first twenty minutes and in truth we didnt improve all that much after that, every time they attacked it looked like we might concede.
Mind you they got practically no protection from the midfield in front of them which wouldnt have helped matters much.
Wrong formation, wrong team selection, too many poor individual performances.....we did well to salvage a point given so much went wrong on the day.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:39 pm

Wtf! Just landed and saw the score
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:53 pm

Altering our formation to oblige a more than just stuttering superstar was never going to work ,I stated as such when I said Rodgers would sooner drop
our one true defensive midfielder rather than drop a player who is dangerously derailing the progress this team was making in his absence.

I mean didn't Stoke running through and passing it around a stagnant Gerrard  provide the merest  fucking hint  ??? If Rodgers doesn't grasp the
nettle and drop Gerrard we're completely ***** ,surely he can see his inclusion is detrimental to the team kicking on a gear.

Glen Johnson never even trained with the team because of an impending court case ,and yet he's included in the first eleven with Kelly kicking his heels
on the bench....I was under the impression the team for match day was picked by Rodgers on their performance and application on the training field
Johnson's inclusion clearly refutes this myth.

I just cant get my head around how Rodgers envisaged Gerrard holding that position with any conviction ,managers are paid handsomely to make the
correct decisions on and off the field..... Lets not sugar coat it ,he royally fucked up today and has done this club an injustice.

I don't believe I have seen such an inept 45 minutes since Woy had the reins ,the players were completely perplexed at the set up,and we're looking for
any form of inspiration.

Villa were there for the proverbial walloping today of that I am convinced ,yet we let f*cking Delph and El Ahmadi dictate the midfield by making keeping
the ball  as comfortable as possible.....Lessons have to learnt from earlier,and quickly if we have pretensions of clawing our way back into contention.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:43 pm

Wow, didn't see this coming.

Villa went all out in the 1st half, with the right formation and right mindset and we f**king crumbled. They imposed themselves physically, when we should have stood up to them, steadied and buried them.

Coutinho's passing was shambolic and the little Brazilian needs to a kick up the a**e to get him back on track.

Gerrard, I agree is now becoming a huge liability in the side and hampering our progress. He can't start every game and the captain's band needs to be passed to Suarez.

The most frustrating minutes by far was not the first 20 but the last 20. There was no impetus or urgency to get a result, with only Sterling providing some outlet of danger.

The last 10 mins was embarrassing as we looked more like we were the away team holding on for a draw.

We need to get a result against Neverton and the Gooners to to make up for this travesty.  :no
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:53 pm

eds » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:43 pm wrote:Wow, didn't see this coming.

We need to get a result against Neverton and the Gooners to to make up for this travesty.  :no

Which won't be easy considering we are leaking goals like a sieve at the moment, that win at spurs was our only clean sheet since the beginning of November. Infact since that win at white hart lane we've been conceding goals at an average of 2 a game.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby parchpea » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:02 am

Bad day but you can only patch up the holes in the squad for so long and we looked battle worn today.

Our defence is abysmal with what could be considered the second choice centre back pairing and a left back in
Cissokho who is no more use than a traffic cone. Johnson is f@cking appalling.

We rely on our attack so much and there is little balance to the side. Forward players are awesome.

Gerrard looks shot to pieces and we are now looking for a place to get him in which isn't right. How he is going
to play footy in the Brazilian jungle I have no idea (nor do I care frankly - its England)

Still think Rodgers has done very well to keep us in the hunt this long but if we don't invest in top players this
month I think we fail for 4th on strength in depth alone.

Another window and another plea for FSG to gamble in the transfer market $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:14 am

I think it was over confidence by Rodgers... He wanted to play Suarez, Sturridge an Coutinho together and he also didn't want to sacrifice Sterling. If that were the case, he should've played 3-5-2 with wing backs and still have 2 withdrawn midfielders like how we played earlier in the season. Instead he played more of a 4-4-2. Midfield was like non existent. I'm not Lucas' greatest fan but the first half showed that without him, our midfield is over run. Gerrard, really can't control the midfield if he doesn't have the ball anymore. It was like Henderson running around like a headless chicken trying to plug the gaps. This is a major problem now... the midfield and the defense. Aston villa was lightning quick and Gerrard couldn't keep up with the pace. I think Gerrard should be only played as one of 3 midfielders like some have posted or on the right. He still has the best passing range out of all the midfielders. However, sadly speaking I think even Henderson is out-performing him in terms of the overall performance.

To be honest, I don't think that the CB's are a problem... I think that Johnson and Cissokho are leaving them utterly exposed. I'm very ***** much ***** off with Johnson and his inept defending. He is supposed to be a senior liverpool player but he's playing like he doesn't want responsibility. Cissokho is just not up to the mark, the sooner Flanagan and enrique is fit the better.

Mignolet made a mistake again for the 2nd goal. Wasn't helped by Johnson not knowing who to mark! :veryangry
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby killerp » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:27 am

Just watched the game :Oo:

Where is the team that beat Spurs 5-0?

This shakes my confidence to the core as far as finishing anywhere near the top 4. Not sure what's going on behind the scenes but we are really struggling to defend at all. Even without Agger & Sahko we should be ok.

Now if Lucas is out we really need reinforcements.

Everton will be laughing all the way if they win
killerp

Postby LFC1990 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:17 pm

What a poor poor game,

Villa wanted EVERY ball more than us and it shpowed especially in the first half,

Agbonlahor is so quick and if you leave him one on one against Skrtel its not going to look pretty for us as the first goal showed,

I can not comment on Gerrards performance anymore as they are so bad.

Despite scoring Sturridge had a very poor game as did coutinho and the Cb pairing of Toure and Skrtel should not be played again.

johnson well we have all seen in the past weeks/months his performances and Aly Cissohko needs to pack his feking bag now!

The only players that came out of the game with any credibility are Suarez,Hendo and Sterling. Sterling and Hendo didnt stop for the whole 90 minutes and was covering for other players throughout the whole game.

Hopefully we can get eith Agger or Sakho back quick and lucas' injury isnt as bad as it looked.

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:41 pm

LFC1990 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:17 am wrote:What a poor poor game,

Villa wanted EVERY ball more than us and it shpowed especially in the first half,

Agbonlahor is so quick and if you leave him one on one against Skrtel its not going to look pretty for us as the first goal showed,

I can not comment on Gerrards performance anymore as they are so bad.

Despite scoring Sturridge had a very poor game as did coutinho and the Cb pairing of Toure and Skrtel should not be played again.

johnson well we have all seen in the past weeks/months his performances and Aly Cissohko needs to pack his feking bag now!

The only players that came out of the game with any credibility are Suarez,Hendo and Sterling. Sterling and Hendo didnt stop for the whole 90 minutes and was covering for other players throughout the whole game.

Hopefully we can get eith Agger or Sakho back quick and lucas' injury isnt as bad as it looked.

While personal performance of some players continue to be horrendous (Cissoko and Johnson), it was pretty obvious the problem was in the formation. As soon as Lucas Came in (remember only Lucas) ,balance was restored and we took control of the game ,meaning BR can't have this let downs if we are to continue our pursuit ,our margin for errors remain slim to none.
We got a point in a game we should have lost.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Kopite-Jud » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:10 pm

Another howler from Mingolet for the 2nd goal.  Villa were always going to play 5 in midfield, when i seen the team we were always going to get out ran there.  The change needed to come before half time.  Lesson learned, we'll move on and will NOT play that formation again.
Kopite-Jud

Postby mkingdom » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:19 pm

Bad formation, bad tactics, and although a few had an off day it was like playing with ten men with Cissokho in the side. Nobody wanted to pass to him, and when they did he invariably lost the ball and put us under pressure.

If Enrique or Flangan are not ready to come back we need a full back desperately.

It is clear we cannot play that formation to get the four players into the same side (Coutinho, SAS and Sterling), and one will have to be sacrificed or we play 3-5-2. We escaped with a point, but it has damaged our chances of Top 4, and we need to string a series of wins together now or we could be staring at another season of 6th.
mkingdom

Postby leeroy74 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:38 pm

we are still fourth
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby leeroy74 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:10 am

and after Everton game...     we're still 4th.

that could've gone a whole lot worse.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games