LIVERPOOL vs ARSENAL Sep 2nd 12:30 GMT

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Reg » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:03 am

Boocity » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:54 pm wrote:
Reg » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:25 am wrote:Hang on, you're appraisal is that if the 'new system' didn't work against West Brom in the first game of the season then thats it - toys out the pram - lets revert to Plan B? Of course its going to take time and of course there will be teething problems and mistakes and unforeseen issues, thats normal. But if you brought Carroll off the bench the team would've had to change its style and thats not what BR wants to do. Carroll is the old system, BR is the new system - the flexibility will come once we've mastered the basics of the new style and it will be the new players showing their flexibility to change to different formations, not the old cart horses trying to raise their game to the new style them thankfully slipping back into the old formation when they go a goal down 'failed again boss, sorry'. Either we want to get back into the top 4 or we're happy being compared to Villa in mid table. Not.

Get on with it Rodgers, you'll get there. Christ lads we haven't won teh league for 20 years so whats another few months?

:nod

:buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:33 am

Reg » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:25 am wrote:Hang on, you're appraisal is that if the 'new system' didn't work against West Brom in the first game of the season then thats it - toys out the pram - lets revert to Plan B? Of course its going to take time and of course there will be teething problems and mistakes and unforeseen issues, thats normal. But if you brought Carroll off the bench the team would've had to change its style and thats not what BR wants to do. Carroll is the old system, BR is the new system - the flexibility will come once we've mastered the basics of the new style and it will be the new players showing their flexibility to change to different formations, not the old cart horses trying to raise their game to the new style them thankfully slipping back into the old formation when they go a goal down 'failed again boss, sorry'. Either we want to get back into the top 4 or we're happy being compared to Villa in mid table. Not.

Get on with it Rodgers, you'll get there. Christ lads we haven't won teh league for 20 years so whats another few months?

I guess you can check the long version of my answer in the Rodgers thread but in short, yes. Good managers focus more on getting results than they do on being proven right or getting praise for their style of play. They seek OPTIONS and ways to change things around when things arent going your way. Theres nothing wrong with having a Plan B and a Plan C.  I dont care if we change the system at 45mins in a game if the style is not working. Matter of fact, I wouldnt mind changing the style at 45 mins every game of the season if it means the side getting back into the game and improving the performance. We've looked toothless so far and its largely due to the players we have not fitting into that same style you keep bringing up. Borini isnt going to become a winger in the next 4 months and Downing wont suddenly start racking up the assists just because hes playing the new role regularly. Same with Suarez and scoring. You know that very well and your Maldonado comparison wasnt that wide off the mark I though. Rodgers made it perfectly clear in his interviews the past few weeks that we are missing key players that will make THIS PARTICULAR SYSTEM work. Until we do so, we need to play to our strengths and consider whatever plans that would allow us to get results even if means changing the system at 45mins.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:50 am

Ace it didn't work yesterday because 2 of our players in Gerrard and Suarez were wasteful in position. And the 1st goal was not conceded due to the system it was because Gerrard gave the ball away.

You can't expect a new manager to come in with new ideas and then only give him half of what he wants but moan when it doesn't come off. Id rather we stick to how we are playing than go back to the direct dated ***** we were playing last season. Thankfully Rogers feels the same.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC1990 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:36 am

Nothing wrong with the system the problem is a few players or lack of. I think were all over exagerating on a defeat that really didnt make us look poor in any part of the game but finishing.

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Boxscarf » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:00 am

People forget that it takes time for a new system to be implemented. Dalglish's system and Rodgers's system are two different systems entirely and it will take a while to adjust. The players barely got to grips with Kenny's system with many struggling for form and then BAM, out goes Kenny and in comes Rodgers. Now they are back to square one again having to adjust and learn a new system.

There will be teething problems along the way, that's just the way it goes.
Boxscarf

Postby algymoon » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:07 pm

red till i die!! » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:19 pm wrote:
Boxscarf » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:52 pm wrote:
red till i die!! » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:49 pm wrote:we wanted to play open like swansea and thats exactly the way we are set up so it only understandable that we get caught out when our play breaks down.
swansea under rodgers was very gung ho and he's brought that here so untill the players adapt that philosophy and implement it better then we will continue to suffer defeats in this manner.

Are you a fan of Rodgers and his football philosophy? You don't seem sold on him or his philosophy from what I can see.

yeah have to say i like the lad and who doesnt want to see their team pass the opposition off the park every week.that performance we threw in against city was among the best ive seen us offer in years even though we shot ourselves in the foot i was still impressed with the manner in which we played and more than happy to see us continue in that vein.
ive had reservations from the start about whether he is experienced enough to manage us at this time.its a big ask of him to cope with the pressure and expectation here compared to swansea and im sure he's beginning to realise that.letting a striker leave without having a replacement in the bag for me is testament to that inexperience,not just his but the owners and ayre included.maybe at which the speed he is trying to implement his philosophy is another mistake and would be much better utilizing what he has better and slowly window by window adding the final touches.
what you get with inexperience is mistakes and he will make them but as long as he learns then he will be ok.
allen has been an excellent signing and i like what i see in borini.he has a touch on him and will come good but is just struggling with the physicality of the league atm.havent seen anything from the rest but hopefully they can do a job.
it was always going to be a bumpy ride and while i wouldnt go as far as some and declare him a reincarnation of shanks i definately wouldnt be pushing the lad out at the first pot hole.id be disapointed if we didnt finish higher than last season tbh but as long as we show signs of progress and not get relegated id be happy to see him continue.
an unbearable situation for us next season is to be looking for another manager so its important that rodgers succeeds and has the support of the fanbase but it doesnt mean that a blind eye has to be turned and the criticism when its due held back. :D

On yesterday's showing the team/club heading towards very uncertain time this season, I am very disappointed
with experienced players the likes of SG, Renia and Co who were making too many mistakes and did not set a good examples to the younger players likes of Shelvey, Sterling and Allen etc.
The management team should really now try to hammer in the idea into their minds that the team need to fight the drop and getting points on board at all costs, and forget about 4th spot or wining cups, the situation is really serious, we have a punch of very average players and very average team, a weak squad lacks top quality players, we are not like Arsenal, spurs, or even Newcastle. The owner of LFC are mean and won't spend top money and they want to run the club with shoestring budget and we have just witnessed their actions during the transfer window!!. There hard times ahead facing LFC, and I hope we are lucky enough to get through it safely, otherwise we can go the same path of Leeds Utd when they were in top flight, they also had too many mangers and owners during trouble times, and look where they are now!.
algymoon

Postby Boocity » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:17 pm

Are you for real, "very average players" "average team" "lacks top quality players" "like Spurs and Newcastle" you are talking utter cr@p.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:46 pm

Reg » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:34 am wrote:Anyone who thinks that Carroll could've coped with the style and tempo of Liverpool's play yesterday is clearly dilluded, on drugs or has a drink problem. He was sold not just because the wazzok couldn't score goals but because he doesn't have the ball skills to complement that game style.

Carroll  would have frightened the life out of a very ordinary Arsenal team yesterday ....The Kop knew it ,the team knew it,and the fucking manager
knew it.... Sick and tired of people claiming Andy never suited Rodgers grand plan ,well maybe he wouldn't ,but ffs it would have been nice while Rodgers
format for slick passing is formulating that we could have picked up a few extra points using the last few minutes of a game to deploy a fucking plan B
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tonyeh » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:55 pm

It's going to be a long season.  :down:
tonyeh

Postby dundreamin » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:43 pm

A VERY long season
dundreamin
LFC Super Member

Location: skelmersdale. Land of the roundabouts and utter boredom

Postby sniffy98 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:12 pm

I think le ar5e were a little bit better than ordinary yesterday but ffs we are better than Newcastle on a par with Spuds and anyone that doesn't think Carrol would have had an impact yesterday is just being stupid. Arsenal are rubbish in the air, had Gibbs playing, Kisielny on the bench, a kid at rb and 3rd choice gk. High balls into the box once in a while would have had them panicking - so obvious.
sniffy98

Postby sniffy98 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:14 pm

Was very disappointed that Suarez didn't isolate Merasacker more. He easily had the beating of that lumbering slow cart horse and was on a booking.
sniffy98

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:34 pm

sniffy98 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:14 pm wrote:Was very disappointed that Suarez didn't isolate Merasacker more. He easily had the beating of that lumbering slow cart horse and was on a booking.

yeah, when he was booked so early for dragging luis down i thought unless wenger drags him off there was no way he was going to stay on for 90 minutes.
i thought we should have made more of that myself.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ethanr » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:14 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:34 am wrote:
sniffy98 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:14 pm wrote:Was very disappointed that Suarez didn't isolate Merasacker more. He easily had the beating of that lumbering slow cart horse and was on a booking.

yeah, when he was booked so early for dragging luis down i thought unless wenger drags him off there was no way he was going to stay on for 90 minutes.
i thought we should have made more of that myself.

In all honesty, he should have gone early in the second for bring Suarez down in the box, but Webb gleefully ignored it.

But he definitely should have done more with him.  He was barely getting in tackles when any speed was involved, and really was lucky in the first to keep putting in good last-ditch tackles.  It seemed only a matter of time.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby The Hustler » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:22 am

Arsenal have new signings just like us, but they after just two games looked like more of a solid unit
The Hustler
LFC Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games