Liverpool V Sevilla - Europa League Final - Wed May 18th

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby andy_g » Thu May 19, 2016 9:39 am

i'm not going to hang any of the blame on the match officials. i don't think any of the penalty shouts were stonewall and i'd have been pretty upset if any of them had been given against us if the boot had been on the other foot.

for me the game swung on two moments. firstly, after the first goal (which was absolutely wonderful skill from sturridge) they were shaken. had sturridge then not instinctively stuck his leg out the second goal would have stood and going into half time everything is different. secondly, moreno (again) made a woeful error to gift them the equaliser. we go in at half time 2-0 and the game is ours. 20 seconds after half time its 1-1, they get their tails up and we get too nervous.

i'm totally gutted, of course. not just that we lost, but that we have not just no champions league next season but no european football at all. looking at the bright side though... last time we had no european football all season we came within a whisker of winning the league.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby algymoon » Thu May 19, 2016 9:40 am

It is a disasters season on all counts, however somehow this is very much expected from BR players who they cannot produce top performances when it is most needed.

Despite all the hypes about this one game which it will bring glory to LFC, whereas so many people weren't really convinced about the true abilities of BR players to finish the task!. Majority of the players are below average especially in goal keeping and defence, which it was a major problem through out BR who brought those players whom they are useless, no matter how a good coach is trying to improve them!.. How many times Clyne & Moreno had made bad mistakes through out the whole season, and yet they are both never learned from it!!. I seriously think Klopp is mistaken to improve such players like, Moreno, Clyne, Mignolet, and the rest, and I am very sure if those players are to remain in team next season, we will be speaking about the same problem next year at round this time again.

As for the game, we really had no full backs who could defend and useless in going forward!, the result was bad defensive display which it is resulted to lose the game comfortably, it could have been worse.
This Sevilla team is the most weakest from previous two finals, however Liverpool was far worse than that, none-existing desire to preform well and win a cup final. The only players who they have tried their best were Can, and Sturridge, the rest were dreaming of being a World beater!!!, which it is typical of BR's players. 

I am not so positive about the prospect of next season fortunes of Liverpool  team achievement, as long as this existing squad of players remain the same!, unless there is a major clear out of the rubbish players the outcome of next season will be worse than this season, despite having the best manager in Europe!
algymoon

Postby only me » Thu May 19, 2016 9:44 am

algymoon » Thu May 19, 2016 8:40 am wrote:It is a disasters season on all counts, however somehow this is very much expected from BR players who they cannot produce top performances when it is most needed.

Despite all the hypes about this one game which it will bring glory to LFC, whereas so many people weren't really convinced about the true abilities of BR players to finish the task!. Majority of the players are below average especially in goal keeping and defence, which it was a major problem through out BR who brought those players whom they are useless, no matter how a good coach is trying to improve them!.. How many times Clyne & Moreno had made bad mistakes through out the whole season, and yet they are both never learned from it!!. I seriously think Klopp is mistaken to improve such players like, Moreno, Clyne, Mignolet, and the rest, and I am very sure if those players are to remain in team next season, we will be speaking about the same problem next year at round this time again.

As for the game, we really had no full backs who could defend and useless in going forward!, the result was bad defensive display which it is resulted to lose the game comfortably, it could have been worse.
This Sevilla team is the most weakest from previous two finals, however Liverpool was far worse than that, none-existing desire to preform well and win a cup final. The only players who they have tried their best were Can, and Sturridge, the rest were dreaming of being a World beater!!!, which it is typical of BR's players. 

I am not so positive about the prospect of next season fortunes of Liverpool  team achievement, as long as this existing squad of players remain the same!, unless there is a major clear out of the rubbish players the outcome of next season will be worse than this season, despite having the best manager in Europe!

Mate on prinicple you are correct but it's the same players that won against Dortmund and Villareal which are better teams then Sevilla....So while changes are imperative ,Yesterday specifically we weren't mentally prepared.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Klopptomaniac » Thu May 19, 2016 9:53 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu May 19, 2016 8:27 am wrote:Being out of the Europa League next season is probably on balance a good thing, I know it's a route into the CL but you have to play the equivalent of half a seasons worth of games to get to the final (17 or 18 matches) and we just haven't got the depth of squad to cope with that sort of workload atm.
I don't think it's a coincidence that the closest we've come to winning the league in the last quarter of a century was when we didn't have European football to contend with so if there's any crumb of comfort we can take from last nights defeat it's that Jurgen has an opportunity next season to really concentrate on the league.
I don't care what anyone says our European exploits have definately affected our league form so as far as I'm concerned it's goodbye and good riddance to that Thursday/Sunday graveyard shift and those 5 hour flights to the middle of nowhere to play brzyzxqz rovers too (not to mention those prem starting XI's that resemble U21 sides).
It might not feel like it now but in time these 2 finals will be looked upon as positives on Jurgen's CV in pretty much the same way as our 2007 CL final loss to Milan and Europa League semi final defeat to Atletico are often used (in conjunction with his trophy wins) to extoll the virtues of Rafa.

I agree. Right now no European football at all feels like a kick in the nuts but once we watch the other sides struggle to manage it we'll take solace in the fact we don't have to do it

Jurgen has been saying all season Thursday to Sunday isn't an issue but in a recent conference he said it's not easy getting off a plane at 4am on Friday to play a game on Sunday so he's acknowledged that it's a logistical nightmare

63 games in a season is a lot for any side, we've just dodged 20% of that as far as I'm concerned - I wouldn't look too much at the league position, we've sacrificed some league places to focus on winning this. It makes for poor reading but I'm sure next season will be a much better reflection of what we can achieve under Klopp

We still have Klopp, we're still the greatest club in the world
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby metalhead » Thu May 19, 2016 9:59 am

This defeat really hurts a lot
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu May 19, 2016 10:22 am

andy_g » Thu May 19, 2016 8:39 am wrote:i'm not going to hang any of the blame on the match officials. i don't think any of the penalty shouts were stonewall and i'd have been pretty upset if any of them had been given against us if the boot had been on the other foot.

for me the game swung on two moments. firstly, after the first goal (which was absolutely wonderful skill from sturridge) they were shaken. had sturridge then not instinctively stuck his leg out the second goal would have stood and going into half time everything is different. secondly, moreno (again) made a woeful error to gift them the equaliser. we go in at half time 2-0 and the game is ours. 20 seconds after half time its 1-1, they get their tails up and we get too nervous.

i'm totally gutted, of course. not just that we lost, but that we have not just no champions league next season but no european football at all. looking at the bright side though... last time we had no european football all season we came within a whisker of winning the league.

Completely agree with every word. Even 2-0 up, I think Sevilla would have beaten us.

Klopp has highlighted the problem a few times. He did it again last night in the post-match conference - we don't react when we concede a goal. I mean, WTF....the team collapsed after conceeding a goal, even though we had 44 mins to set it right!  No mental strength, no leadership on the field....just the usual suspects f**king up (in this case Moreno instead of Migs) and lots of players going missing.

Klopp said the LFC team will look very different next season. I can't f**king wait.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu May 19, 2016 10:28 am

Klopptomaniac » Thu May 19, 2016 8:53 am wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu May 19, 2016 8:27 am wrote:Being out of the Europa League next season is probably on balance a good thing, I know it's a route into the CL but you have to play the equivalent of half a seasons worth of games to get to the final (17 or 18 matches) and we just haven't got the depth of squad to cope with that sort of workload atm.
I don't think it's a coincidence that the closest we've come to winning the league in the last quarter of a century was when we didn't have European football to contend with so if there's any crumb of comfort we can take from last nights defeat it's that Jurgen has an opportunity next season to really concentrate on the league.
I don't care what anyone says our European exploits have definately affected our league form so as far as I'm concerned it's goodbye and good riddance to that Thursday/Sunday graveyard shift and those 5 hour flights to the middle of nowhere to play brzyzxqz rovers too (not to mention those prem starting XI's that resemble U21 sides).
It might not feel like it now but in time these 2 finals will be looked upon as positives on Jurgen's CV in pretty much the same way as our 2007 CL final loss to Milan and Europa League semi final defeat to Atletico are often used (in conjunction with his trophy wins) to extoll the virtues of Rafa.

I agree. Right now no European football at all feels like a kick in the nuts but once we watch the other sides struggle to manage it we'll take solace in the fact we don't have to do it

Jurgen has been saying all season Thursday to Sunday isn't an issue but in a recent conference he said it's not easy getting off a plane at 4am on Friday to play a game on Sunday so he's acknowledged that it's a logistical nightmare

63 games in a season is a lot for any side, we've just dodged 20% of that as far as I'm concerned - I wouldn't look too much at the league position, we've sacrificed some league places to focus on winning this. It makes for poor reading but I'm sure next season will be a much better reflection of what we can achieve under Klopp

We still have Klopp, we're still the greatest club in the world

Yep, we've played more games than any other side in Europe this season and it showed last night, when we did actually lift the tempo and aggressively pressed them high up the pitch (in the aftermath of  Sturridge's goal) Seville couldn't cope with us but at this stage of the season we just couldn't sustain that type of intensity.
I know he scored a world class goal last night but it does have to be said that our pressing game goes right out of the window when Danny leads the line for us.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby devaney » Thu May 19, 2016 11:30 am

No good whinging about decisions good or bad !! What comes around goes around. Did any of us moan when Moreno pushed over one of the Villa Real players in the penalty area when the game was hanging in the balance by a thread? That to me was a clearer penalty than any of last nights penalty shouts.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Thu May 19, 2016 12:10 pm

Very tough loss. We went from having played in two finals, a European trophy and CL football next year, with the possibility of some good players coming in the summer, to getting eighth in the league with no European football next year in an instant. We went from a very good season to poor season in 45 minutes. Not sure if something happened at half time but the team did not show up in the second half and wrecked the great work done getting to the final. The refereeing was awful and I had read prior that that ref does not like English teams but we should have coped as they were not that good but we were just poor in the second half and for that the season is one to forget.

Gutted  :veryangry  :down:
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Thu May 19, 2016 12:49 pm

Like others just gutted not just with missing out on more silverware but the CL qualification next year as well.

Especially disheartening for me after quarter final heroics

Real bitter pill which will take most of the off season to swallow
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby killerp » Thu May 19, 2016 1:27 pm

Getting to a final for this team was an achievement, actually winning it was well beyond us as it turns out. The result is a good reflection of the two faced nature of our performances all season long. How many games did we lose from winning positions this season?

I'm glad this season is over so I wont have to be depressed constantly. The euros will be a very welcome distraction from this s.hitty feeling.
killerp

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu May 19, 2016 1:59 pm

I said if we failed to stop Banega then he would hurt us ,and we offered him the freedom of the park in the second half. That said you also need your best players to show up ,Coutinho's head was clearly still in the changing rooms ,because in a game were he made no impact whatsoever the game just simply passed him by. As for our midfield it was overrun completely , and maybe fans and posters alike will now start to realise the importance of a DM who can break up the play and act as an assurance to the back four as effectively as Lucas ,because in that second half we needed a player just like him and one with an aversion to  handing 'complete'  control over to the opposition.  ???

I think Moreno would have trouble negotiating a revolving door the manner in which he was spun by that Seville player ,maybe  he should think about facing the opponent rather than going in side on ,Lallana ran and ran but the lad needs a destination before he sets off.

Other than those observations ,Toure was immense and needs a fresh contract because he's the best defender we have at the club  ,Clyne was absolutely superb in the first half ,and Firmino and Lallana should have never been taken off ,you don't remove  players who defend from the front.

Klopp will learn from this ,but it will take removing the bottlers ,and there are some big names in that collative .....Absolutely crest fallen today ,and so disappointed that I allowed myself to become sucked in once again in believing we would actually turn up for this final ,and every player would know its importance .
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Thu May 19, 2016 3:25 pm

I think it was a combination of their manager Emery exposing Klopp's current team weaknesses and our players bottling to be honest.

I don't know what Emery told his team at half time. But their players were exploiting acres of space awarded by our midfield and defenders. It somehow reminded me of Rafa's tactics of playing 'in between the lines'. Just two, three of their players were shredding our defence to pieces. In that second half, our players' lack of tactical acumen were exposed. I think the key to their tactics is when the timing that they win the ball from us. Whenever, they won the ball, our players were all out of position, it looked really pathetic. It was like watching those medieval movie battle scenes, where the calvary was charging against a disarrayed foot soldiers. And yet it was only 2-3 of their players doing it! I'm sorry but Klopp has to bear the responsibility of not being able to react to Emery's tactical change. When I say that Rafa would most of the time out strategize Klopp, this was what I meant. Seville as a team in the 2nd half was far more dangerous than Villareal ever were.

At the same time the collapse of the players were monumental. I can't believe it. You can see in their eyes and their body language they didn't know what to do. Klopp's system needs the players to be on the ball, execute the pressure and team work. After they scored the 2nd goal, our players were all over the place! There was no plans whatsoever, no strategy, there was no discipline, no control, blood rushed to their heads and everything fell to pieces. I'm still fuming and ***** off.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu May 19, 2016 4:09 pm

Good post Magz ,I think the manager would have said keep it tight at the back for 20 minutes because they're going to come back at us now ,but I doubt he would have envisaged us conceding  after 17 seconds  ??? After that they were in the ascendancy and a shell shocked Liverpool team allowed them to hem us into our own half.

I know it sounds mad ,but I think if we had gone in at half time a goal behind the players would have been more motivated than when they returned for the second half,I mean Klopp is a good manager ,but I doubt even he could halt to what amounts to a complete and utter capitulation from players he had trusted to perform like their respective lives depended on it.

Emery is a good manager ,but the only aspect of their play he changed was targeting our left wing ,and pushing Banega further up the pitch ,the way we  surrendered  possession reminded me of how easy Milan took us apart in the first half in Istanbul ,we were simply that limp right through the middle.

Seville thoroughly deserved the victory ,as they came out with every player hurting from their ineffectiveness in the first half ,we returned like the game was already won ,they returned like boxers determined not to hit the canvass again .
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Thu May 19, 2016 4:13 pm

Spot on. It was like our players saw a ghost or something. Reminded me when we got hammered by PSG 3-0 back in 1997. We were like statues with a confused face.
It does make you think only 2-3 of their players were ripping us apart. Milner and Can couldn't intercept anything.
I think we should have included Lucas in the mix. A solid DM is crucial in games like this.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games