Liverpool v Plymouth Sunday 8th Jan 2017 KO 13:30 - BBC

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Mikz » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:32 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:34 pm wrote:I'm not sure what you were expecting out of them Mikz, a lot of them had only made 3 or 4 appearances in the first team prior to today. The lads did alright, we are still in the hat for the next round.

A bit of effort would be nice yakka.. Remember these so called young guns are supposed to be trying to impress Klopp. They were dire. No excuses - playing a team from league 2 who travelled 500 odd miles . What annoyed me even more is the likes of Origi and Can were even worse and when we brought on the big guns - we got even worse  :oh:

It seems when we face 2 banks of four - thats it, nomatter who it is - we dont have the wit to break it down. Today 2 banks of cones would have been a struggle
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:46 pm

bunglemark2 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:52 pm wrote:Eh, this was Plymouth Bleedin' Argyle, lads. If so called squad players - don't care how many first team game they have or have not got under their belts - can't find a way through, then it's a pi$$ poor day at the office.

Even though I am trying to think rationally, this is what I keep coming back to. We had Origi, Can, Lucas, Moreno and even Stewart (who at 23 isn't exactly a kid anymore), out there. Then Ojo, who looked promising towards the end of last season and has had exposure to the first team. Sturridge, Lallana and Firmino also got time off the bench, yet I really don't think we caused Plymouth too many real issues even though we had pretty much all of the ball. What disappointed me was the fact there was no leader who could guide/talk the youngsters through the game. Don't think anyone in their right mind can/has had a pop at our youngsters because quite clearly a lot of them are still to fill out physically (especially Woodburn) and Plymouth did have some physically big lads out there today.

We can dress it up however we want but 0-0 at home to a League 2 team, is a very poor result which means another midweek game. Although I think JK will put out a similar kind of team for the replay, it means he has to spend time preparing for the game rather than having the week off to fully concentrate on the league game that follows (home at Swansea). For the next 3 weeks we will will have 2 games a week
Doeboy

Postby leeroy74 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:19 pm

To be honest I can see us getting turned over at their place.  They'll have their tales up and no doubt klopp will pick an inexperienced team again.  Can't blame him,  we need to keep pace on top 4
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:21 am

I may sound rebellious here but in all honesty i couldn't care less about the FA cup this season. Its at the bottom of our priorities.
If we get far and into the final then yes an awesome opportunity for a trophy. But atm really not bothered.
Securing Top4 is more important, with the squad we have i don't think we can cope with playing tough games in multiple competitions.
The only positive i see is it gives the younger lads some experience.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:21 am

After I watched this game, it makes me wonder whether Klopp emphasizes on the first team too much. This team with youngsters didn't show any characteristics of a Klopp team at all. Where is the pressing? the fast counter attack? the quick interchange of passes? Nothing. Zilch. Even when Sturridge, Lallana and Firmino came on, the fluidity of the first team was not present.

Btw I didn't blame Origi on his performance that much because the supply to him wasn't there at all.

The senior members of the team should take most of the blame such as Lucas, Can and Moreno...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:15 am

redshade » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:21 pm wrote:I may sound rebellious here but in all honesty i couldn't care less about the FA cup this season. Its at the bottom of our priorities.
If we get far and into the final then yes an awesome opportunity for a trophy. But atm really not bothered.
Securing Top4 is more important, with the squad we have i don't think we can cope with playing tough games in multiple competitions.

Securing top 4 only leads to yet more games next season. Lets face it, we'll secure top for but not bother bolstering the squad with any real quality thus getting mugged off yet again. Somethings got to give a little.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby algymoon » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:56 pm

I think the young lads did very well, and they are very much need this kind of experience.
Plymouth were very negative and even the first team players would find it tough to break down a camped whole team in their half!.
they will have to open up at their own ground, and our players will pick them up there and beat them.
algymoon

Postby maguskwt » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:47 pm

algymoon » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:56 am wrote:I think the young lads did very well, and they are very much need this kind of experience.
Plymouth were very negative and even the first team players would find it tough to break down a camped whole team in their half!.
they will have to open up at their own ground, and our players will pick them up there and beat them.

wow!  :wwww
Did hell freeze over??  :laugh:
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:01 pm

algymoon » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:56 am wrote:I think the young lads did very well, and they are very much need this kind of experience.

Yep, good post algy.  :bowdown
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:36 pm

:D Algy Bravo sir
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:38 pm

leeroy74 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:15 am wrote:
redshade » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:21 pm wrote:I may sound rebellious here but in all honesty i couldn't care less about the FA cup this season. Its at the bottom of our priorities.

Securing top 4 only leads to yet more games next season. Lets face it, we'll secure top for but not bother bolstering the squad with any real quality thus getting mugged off yet again. Somethings got to give a little.

If we do secure Champs spot Klopp will increase and strengthen the squad in the summer.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Klopptomaniac » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:58 pm

My only gripe is us fu**ing over my acca. Other than that I have no problem with the team selection or anything. The kids needed games and our priorities currently lie elsewhere - English football has moved on so much and the FA cup has been left behind. The same lot will play the replay so no problems with the extra game as it won't hurt the first team
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby damjan193 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:12 pm

algymoon » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:56 pm wrote:I think the young lads did very well, and they are very much need this kind of experience.

I've missed this kind of posters :D

Jokes aside, sensible post that. Yes it was against a League 2 opponent, but that was the youngest team we've EVER fielded after all.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:53 pm

Ffs lads a stopped clock gets something right twice a day !!  :help

Klopp given our fixture list will have little choice other than play the kids again in the replay. It will be interesting and not a foregone conclusion. We could do without this. I accept that Plymouth parked the proverbial bus but that is when you need imagination and creation. Unfortunately whatever we tried on the day didn't quite work out.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:27 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:07 pm wrote:I think a bit of perspective is needed here, that side today was the youngest we've ever fielded in our 125 year history, practically half the team were teenagers and the average age was a shade over 21 (that was with Lucas in the line up as well!)
Over the years I've seen plenty of LFC first XI's go crashing out of cups to lower league opposition so the lads did okay.

Well said, perspective seems like an apt word given the age of the team, every young player dreams of playing for the 1st team and occasions such as these provide a real indicator to whether they possess that extra something that defines their progress. Klopp will learn far more about his young players playing them in pressure situations than he will watching them play for the second string. On reflection all that was missing from that first half performance was a striker like Ings  who would snap up the opportunities as all the kids looked comfortable and composed in possession.  I thought Woodburn , Ejaria and Arnold were the pick of our eleven in the first half as they whipped in some superb balls that only needed a finisher. I think one of the most disappointing aspects of our game was the corners, I don't know the final count but it was so frustrating to see so many wasted, especially with Plymouth looking less than composed when clearing the danger, that's something we definitely need to improve as corners are  like penalties to some aerially imposing sides.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games