Liverpool v Man City Saturday 31st Dec 2016 Ko 5:30pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby parchpea » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:10 pm

So Manchesters noisy neighbours visit as 2016 draws to a close, a team very much in the same media pigeon hole as us, pleasing on the eye but lacking a backbone.

Guardiola and Klopp both try to hold the moral high ground on style, though the Spaniard would appear more obsessive and his handling of Bravo is in stark contrast of Klopp taking his medicine over Karius, not as stubborn.

I actually think we will win fairly comfortably though it's definitely a chance for City to get back in the headlines, stumbling title favourites would be galvanised by a win at fortress Anfield.

They will play it down but seasons are defined in these big games, we want to keep in the title race but its also important to say a win puts potentially 10 points between us and 5th and clear in 2nd, meaning the top 4 would be very much look like a worse case scenario for Klopps men going into 2017.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:51 pm

The big one, well which game isn't now?!
City will have a fully strength side available. The main man Aguero will be back after his ban.

I'm certain this one will not be goaless. I'm expecting a high scoring match.
We our bound to make dire mistakes at the back so I'm expecting City to score a couple.
With out main weapon, our attack, I'm also expecting us to score.
This will be either 2-2 or we will win 3-2.

I wonder if Matip will be back and Couts for subs.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:56 pm

:bowdown Coutinho seems to go AWOL for big games when a lot is expected of him so wouldn't be surprised if he's on the bench. Aguero will be back with the bit between his teeth and will likely tear Klavan and Lovren a collective new Swiss roll. Worried about this one... But it's at Valhalla so let's have faith
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby redshade » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:29 pm

Couts does seem to perform well against City though.

I'm nervous but looking forward to this one a lot.
With our current crop i can't say I'm 100% always confident due to our shaky defense but what i am confident about is our attack. We are the best attacking side in the league.
I read a stat somewhere that under Klopp we've scored 100 goals in 48 games.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:54 pm

Coutinho has actually got a decent record against City, iirc he's scored quite a few goals against them.

As redshade rightly points out all games are big at this stage (especially when you are near the top) but this one is probably season defining. Chelsea face Stoke at Stamford Bridge on Saturday which means if we don't beat City chances are we'll be 8 or 9 points behind Conte's men going into the New Year. Given Chelsea's form bridging that sort of gap may well be beyond us. So in other words if we lose or draw this game our season won't be over but our hopes of winning the title probably will.

Btw Spurs have just gone 2-1 up at Southampton.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Doeboy » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:43 am

Provided we keep it solid and we make no silly mistakes in defence, 3-1 to us.

City always try and play from the back and we will pressurise them into mistakes guaranteed. Anytime they are pressurised properly they look vulnerable and we are probably the last team you want to play in that situation.

Think Aguero is back so will need to be vigilant as no doubt he will be fresh after a rest but we turn in a performance like the ones we have done for the majority of the season, I cam see us winning fairly comfortably in the end.

Never worried about these games as we always turn up and City will have a go and make it an open game which we will take advantage of at home
Doeboy

Postby Doeboy » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:05 pm

JK confirms Coutinho and Matip both out for this game
Doeboy

Postby redshade » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:08 pm

With 2 quick games coming up i wonder how Klopp will rotate the team.
Most likely Origi will start on Sat and possibly Studge for Sunderland.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:25 pm

Feck it, would love to see Sturridge play this one. Let him run amok.
bunglemark2

Postby redshade » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:48 pm

I think we would be better bringing Studge on later. We will beat City via our press and Origi does that better than studge.
I'd bring him on 2nd half, depending on the scoreline.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:37 pm

Doeboy » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:05 pm wrote:JK confirms Coutinho and Matip both out for this game

Hoping both make it back for Mancs game now. They should be available by then.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:41 pm

redshade » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:48 pm wrote:I think we would be better bringing Studge on later. We will beat City via our press and Origi does that better than studge.
I'd bring him on 2nd half, depending on the scoreline.

Agreed, as good as we undoubtably are, moneybags City do have the better players so this is a game where we might have to rely on our system to get us over the line. In other words we need to gegenpress tomorrow like it's going out of fashion.
The crowd have an important role to play as well, this club was renowned for having knowledgeable fans well those fans need to put that knowledge to good use tomorrow evening, everytime one of our players wins a tackle, blocks a shot, wins a corner or anything like that they need to be cheered to the rafters. City need to be playing 50,000 people tomorrow not XI.
Our title chances are on the line in this game and we need to win, it's as simple as that.
Last edited by ycsatbjywtbiastkamb on Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:19 am

bunglemark2

Postby kazza » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:05 am

Reading that, City would be crazy to do anything but park the bus so we will see, I hope they don't. A couple of teams this season have had joy for periods of the game counter pressing us which made us look uncomfortable so possibly that is what they will try but with their lack of pace that could be a huge mistake along with an open attacking game.

More excited than nervous for this one but still a shame that Matip and Coutinho won't be fit as we will need them.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:42 pm

Chelsea winning again. If it stays like that, will really put pressure on us and City to come out with 3 pts.

Got to admit, Chelsea are doing something extraordinary this season and the way they are playing as a unit, just can't see any weaknesses.
Doeboy

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - Games