Liverpool V Man-City  14/01/18 KO@ 1600

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:36 pm

It's very tight at the top of the League now, three teams on 47 points.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby devaney » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:53 pm

WE DON’T DO EASY !!

AOD was my man of the match. Brilliant goal and fantastic assist for Bobby’s goal. Alex worked his nuts off and his pressing was excellent. Sadio and Mo worked tirelessly to support Can and Wijnaldum. Gini worked hard but some of his passing is awful. Gomez and Robertson are both looking very good and with VVD they can become even better.

Real shame some of the points we have binned this season. We are beginning to show real progress and that is evidenced by beating City and selling Coutinho in the same week.
Last edited by devaney on Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:57 pm

Absolutely delighted with the win and 3 points but in the end we just about got away with it. Its a bit unrealistic expecting City not to score but at 4-1 up we should have coasted the rest of the game out rather than sweating the final whistle. Our defence is stomach churning and even though the changes didn't help they continue to be a worry and as usual Lovren is at the heart of it.  We lost the midfield as soon as Emre went off and the control of the game with it. Milner was awful and so slow to react to anything.

At the start we came out flying and were total value for the lead. In the second we started slow but soon got back into gear and flew into the lead with some sublime finishing from Bobby, Mane and then Salah. They were excellent and really took the game to them. Robertson was absolutely excellent and it will be a travesty if he loses out when Moreno is fit. Bobby I thought looked a bit sluggish like he was carrying a knock but still he rallies hard with his phenomenal work rate. Emre was a beast and bossed the midfield with his relentless pressing and tackling. Ox did quite well but drifted in and out to often, Not being harsh on him though as he had a good game.
There was plenty of candidates for MOTM but for me Andy Robertson gets the nod because it was probably the biggest game of his life and he stood mighty tall. Well in lad  :nod
Again fantastic 3 points today.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby fivecups » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:01 pm

red till i die!! » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:57 pm wrote:There was plenty of candidates for MOTM but for me Andy Robertson gets the nod because it was probably the biggest game of his life and he stood mighty tall. Well in lad  :nod
Again fantastic 3 points today.

Many candidates today, I'd go with Sane, involved in everything and lovely goal.

Did you see Robertson on 75 mins pressing City right into their 18 yard box, he almost got it there too, what an engine!
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:03 pm

You just knew magic Mo Salah would stick that ball in the net when it fell to him.
Robertson, Man of the match.
Wjnaldum played well also.
I don't think we will miss Coutinho that much.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:13 pm

Wijnaldum was outstanding today but there were great performances all over the pitch.
Credit to the manager, going after City like that can leave you exposed at the back but Jurgen just went for the jugular.
The lads did the shirt proud today, considering what the shirt represents I can't pay them a bigger compliment than that.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Welsh wizzard 13 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:15 pm

The way Klopp has handled the Ox and Robertson is absolutely brilliant he's coached them to where he wants them and then gives them a chance now seeing the rewards. VVD will organise the defence but we need a world class keeper now just go and get one spend 80 million if we need be. What a spine we will have next season through middle then world class keeper, VVD, KEITA with the magnificent three some
Welsh wizzard 13
LFC Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:25 pm

Welsh wizzard 13 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:15 pm wrote:The way Klopp has handled the Ox and Robertson is absolutely brilliant he's coached them to where he wants them and then gives them a chance now seeing the rewards. VVD will organise the defence but we need a world class keeper now just go and get one spend 80 million if we need be. What a spine we will have next season through middle then world class keeper, VVD, KEITA with the magnificent three some

And Lemar, wink wink, fingers crossed :p
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:34 pm

Welsh wizzard 13 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:15 pm wrote:The way Klopp has handled the Ox and Robertson is absolutely brilliant he's coached them to where he wants them and then gives them a chance now seeing the rewards. VVD will organise the defence but we need a world class keeper now just go and get one spend 80 million if we need be. What a spine we will have next season through middle then world class keeper, VVD, KEITA with the magnificent three some

I agree i would prioritise getting a keeper first and then another CB.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby electrum » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:21 pm

Great result and well deserved. Like Klopp said post match the pressing was out of this world.

I also think that City are flattered by the scoreline...their second goal was due to a very luck break of the ball to their player. If that doesn't fall so kindly with the resulting goal;  I think they would have struggled to build up the kind of momentum that led to the third.

Onward and upward.
electrum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby redshade » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:35 pm

Man City points tally is abnormal and in any other season we would have been title challengers with the others. It would have made an awesome title challenge if Man city had around 50 points.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:10 pm

On the subject of unbeaten runs...when did we last lose a league match?
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:13 pm

V Spurs 4-1 at Wembley.

Quality finishing and good pressing won us this game today.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:27 am

Honourable mention to Emre Can today as well, i thought he was magnificent, I'll be sad to see him go tbh, okay he's not as classy as a Gerrard or Alonso but he gives us a presence in the middle of the park and he absolutely works his balls off.
Because he's such a big lad I think it often gets forgotten just how young he still is, his best years are still ahead of him and I think it will be a mistake to let him go. Give the lad what he wants, he's not asking the earth.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:01 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:27 pm wrote:Honourable mention to Emre Can today as well, i thought he was magnificent, I'll be sad to see him go tbh, okay he's not as classy as a Gerrard or Alonso but he gives us a presence in the middle of the park and he absolutely works his balls off.
Because he's such a big lad I think it often gets forgotten just how young he still is, his best years are still ahead of him and I think it will be a mistake to let him go. Give the lad what he wants, he's not asking the earth.

It's the release clause that's causing the problems. We simply don't give players release clauses. End of
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games