Liverpool v Celtic Sat-Aug-10th KO 5pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:31 pm

The crowd was very mixed - no segregation . My cousin was in there with Celtic mates and brother who is a Celtic fan.
Benny The Noon

Postby JC_81 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:36 pm

Kenny Kan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:39 am wrote:It's a shame Downing only puts in a decent shift when it's rumoured he's off. You watch, if he's here after the transfer window he'll become a passenger again. But he did have a lively (for him) first half, shame his only assist was for Balde  :D  Wisdom can take some blame on that one too, he had a ropey afternoon.

Toure, again impressed me and he still has a turn of pace which many said he'd lost. Gerrard was woeful, Allen decent, Lucas okay. I preferred this trio today because when Henderson came on he was shunted out left and in my opinion looked pretty hopeless - Henderson should have slotted in for Gerrard. That said, Henderson out wide allowed Countinho to move in more centrally, where he'll be more effective.

Good to see Sturridge back, should have scored with that lob though, he also needs to look up more IMO.

Celtic are no mugs and they have a solid defense, it was a very good game to watch and a good work out for our lads.

Can't wait for Stoke.

Pretty much how I saw it too.

Never seen Gerrard so ineffective, second to every ball in midfield.  Hopefully just a bad game rather than evidence his legs have finally gone. I don't think a midfield trio of him, Lucas and Allen will work - not enough athleticism in there which I think is crucial in this league.  Compare that trio to Mascherano, Alonso and Gerrard in his prime, massive gulf in class there.  I'm willing to give Lucas more time given it's pre-season and all, but I'm starting to worry he's lost something after his bad injury.

Sturridge looked a real threat when he came on and Coutinho was our best player again, as he has been in every game pre-season.

Celtic were extremely lucky.  Despite us not being at our best we bossed them from start to finish and should have scored a few.  They scored from their only real chance which came from a Downing 'through ball' and a Wisdom mistake.  Won't stop my Celtic supporting mates rubbing it in though!

Wisdom looked extremely shaky in the middle.  I think he has the makings of a good centre back in the future, but he has learning to do.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:18 pm

Benny The Noon » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:31 am wrote:The crowd was very mixed - no segregation . My cousin was in there with Celtic mates and brother who is a Celtic fan.

seems to be a hell of a lot of red in there to me like - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnKeDPRaqe4
as i said how many clubs could play celtic in dublin and have the majority of the crowd?
great effort by our irish support.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:13 pm

john craig » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:36 pm wrote:
Kenny Kan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:39 am wrote:It's a shame Downing only puts in a decent shift when it's rumoured he's off. You watch, if he's here after the transfer window he'll become a passenger again. But he did have a lively (for him) first half, shame his only assist was for Balde  :D  Wisdom can take some blame on that one too, he had a ropey afternoon.

Toure, again impressed me and he still has a turn of pace which many said he'd lost. Gerrard was woeful, Allen decent, Lucas okay. I preferred this trio today because when Henderson came on he was shunted out left and in my opinion looked pretty hopeless - Henderson should have slotted in for Gerrard. That said, Henderson out wide allowed Countinho to move in more centrally, where he'll be more effective.

Good to see Sturridge back, should have scored with that lob though, he also needs to look up more IMO.

Celtic are no mugs and they have a solid defense, it was a very good game to watch and a good work out for our lads.

Can't wait for Stoke.

Pretty much how I saw it too.

Never seen Gerrard so ineffective, second to every ball in midfield.  Hopefully just a bad game rather than evidence his legs have finally gone. I don't think a midfield trio of him, Lucas and Allen will work - not enough athleticism in there which I think is crucial in this league.  Compare that trio to Mascherano, Alonso and Gerrard in his prime, massive gulf in class there.  I'm willing to give Lucas more time given it's pre-season and all, but I'm starting to worry he's lost something after his bad injury.

Sturridge looked a real threat when he came on and Coutinho was our best player again, as he has been in every game pre-season.

Celtic were extremely lucky.  Despite us not being at our best we bossed them from start to finish and should have scored a few.  They scored from their only real chance which came from a Downing 'through ball' and a Wisdom mistake.  Won't stop my Celtic supporting mates rubbing it in though!

Wisdom looked extremely shaky in the middle.  I think he has the makings of a good centre back in the future, but he has learning to do.

I would agree that our entire midfield (centrally) is pretty mediocre John - I said this last season, I think our midfield is our Achilles heel and not the defense like many say it is.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games