Hoffenheim v Liverpool Tues 15th Aug 19:45

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby redshade » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:21 am

Most important thing is that we came back with an away win. Could have been a lot more had we finished our chances. We still have got a problem with getting the ball out at times when the opposition whips a cross in. Towards the end i thought hoffenheim were going to equalise with that header over the bar.
Im confident we will get the job done at anfield.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:36 am

I wouldn't say I'm confident about the second leg but with our goal and home advantage I'm optimistic  :)

I was impressed with Hoffenheim. As became evident in the second half when their sharpness began to dull their match fitness levels lag behind ours  but they kept plugging away and although we could and should have scored more the same could be said about them.

Second leg should be a cracker, with no room for complacency !

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:11 am

Klopp post Hoffenheim

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Pig Catcher » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:41 am

Pig Catcher » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:06 pm wrote:None of the teams we could have potentially faced were super strong but the two we would have liked to have avoided are Hoffenheim and Nice. Both did very well in decent leagues last year and have a number of players who are likely to move onto bigger clubs in the coming windows.

We were quite strong in defence at the end of last season so let's hope Watford was a blip on a sleepy Saturday early afternoon game. We'll start much faster in an evening midweek game with the cobwebs well and truly brushed off after the weekend.

I'm pretty bullish. 2-1 to us.

They looked as defensively poor as we did! 2-1 is a great result to take back to Anfield. The pitch looked huge on the TV so I guess I can see why it was such an open game.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby algymoon » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:51 am

An Excellent win desipted horrid defending at times, however, the center pairing did play well some part of the game.
It is quite evident that the useless captian Henderson is totally out of his depth and CAN and Grujic should be ahead of him in first team selection, just leave him a back up player in squad, and he soon will leave!.

It is for sure the team need more top quality players, not like the dud Firmino, he was quite absent until he got replaced, as for Salah has good speed, but he need a a top play maker to get the best out of him, however, he needs six chances before convert one, £40M is well over the top for an average player. Salah does much good work than Firmino and Origi put together. The star players are the keeper, Alxesandra, CAN and Lovren.
LFC should complete the job in second game at home.

Good luck for Palace game.
algymoon

Postby Fowler_E7 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:26 am

aCe' » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:45 pm wrote:Can and Henderson partnership is sht. We need Lallana or Coutinho in there to control the midfield better. Terrible in possession, passing game seems to have completely gone out of the gameplan.

Totally agree, they are woeful together, how many times does Klopp have to see it before stops picking them at the same time we desperately need to strengthen in central midfield especially as Lallana is injured for a significant period of time.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:45 am

I think it is the combination of Can Henderson and Wijnaldum that are the real problem.  Is Henderson really captain material?

We actually got a bit lucky last night. Their penalty was woeful. I think I could've saved it! Millie's goal was a bit of a fluke, I except a ball might of gone to Salah but that's a big might! TAA's free kick however was absolutely world-class and totally deserved given the cynical nature of the foul that led to the free kick. Hoffenheim were impressive and we were hanging on to our lead at the end.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:55 pm

Genius or Dangerous ???

Klopp in his post match conference stated that the tactics he used in our defenders holding a high line limited the amount of space available to our opponents attack and he knew after studying their games that limiting them to hitting balls in behind our defence would restrict them from Gnabry and co running at our back four.  If that's the case then 'although successful last night' I seriously hope its not utilized again or at least not with Moreno in the line up  :oh:

I think it will be a completely different game at our place with the Kop behind us,and I'm looking forward to how we set up at home.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:16 pm

algymoon » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:51 am wrote:An Excellent win desipted horrid defending at times, however, the center pairing did play well some part of the game.
It is quite evident that the useless captian Henderson is totally out of his depth and CAN and Grujic should be ahead of him in first team selection, just leave him a back up player in squad, and he soon will leave!.

Oh my, I actually agree with Algy on this one :D

Wonder if I'll start calling people a nutcase next?  :lookaround
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:08 pm

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/hoffenheim-boss-julian-nagelsmann-hits-10996550

I suppose most reds fans would agree in general that they had most of the play,but when all is said and done Liverpool managed to beat a team that hadn't been beaten in their own back yard for 16 months and had made their place a veritable fortress before the visit of Liverpool, yes it was lucky and yes we skated perilously close to conceding more than one,but we took two away goals back to Anfield in the face of some vociferous and partisan Hoffenheim support.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:39 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:08 pm wrote:http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/hoffenheim-boss-julian-nagelsmann-hits-10996550

I suppose most reds fans would agree in general that they had most of the play,but when all is said and done Liverpool managed to beat a team that hadn't been beaten in their own back yard for 16 months and had made their place a veritable fortress before the visit of Liverpool, yes it was lucky and yes we skated perilously close to conceding more than one,but we took two away goals back to Anfield in the face of some vociferous and partisan Hoffenheim support.

We use to do it all the time with Rafa in Europe. At the end of the day, it's the result that matters. Nothing else.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games