FIORIENTINA VS LIVERPOOL - Champions league, tuesday 29th sept 2009

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby europian-kings » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:36 pm

Well, after a good 6-1 victory over Hull and with Nando back to his best, it is time to bring out attention to Champions League once again.

A not so convincing 1-0 Home win in our first group game was enough to put us and Lyon in the qualifying places, following their 1-0 win over Fiorentina.

Since our opponants lost to Lyon, they have Lost to Roma 3-1 away and beaten Sampdoria 2-0 at home.

Not too sure what to expect from them, i seem to remember them being a decent team a while back before fading away, but they are now starting to become a decent team again.

I predict a narrow 1-0 win with Torres adding to his scoring tally.
europian-kings
LFC Super Member

Postby Gerrard30391 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:45 pm

Hmm, going to be an interesting one, can't see them scoring, they're without Gillardino, 2-0 the reds.
"I certainly wouldn't say I'm the best manager in the business, but I'm in the top one."
Gerrard30391
LFC Super Member

Postby JoeTerp » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:55 pm

people are sleeping big time on Fiorentina. Jovetic has had a good start to the season. Frey is capable of making incredible saves, Montolivo and Vargas are both solid players, and Mutu still has a couple tricks up his sleeve.
JoeTerp

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:55 am

I would be quite happy to rest Torres and Gerrard for this one (I know we won't ). I think we would still get a draw there without them but with them I think we will win 2-0.
account deleted by request

Postby Bretc » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:19 am

I'm more worried about our defence. Fiorentina scouts would have noted how easy it is to breach our defence - juz pump high balls into our area and create havoc. We managed to escape with 3 points each time against West Ham and Bolton because our attack is strong and can be relied upon to score goals. But against the likes of Fiorentina and Chelsea, I'm not sure if we can get away with that. Time to sort out our defence asap!
Bretc

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:17 am

I think our next two games will surely see the return of Masch-Lucas and with Gerrard partnering Torres .  Wonder if we will see either of Agger or Aurelio in the next two games.
JoeTerp

Postby stmichael » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:28 pm

Mascherano and Benayoun out apparently.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Redman in wales » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:57 pm

stmichael wrote:Mascherano and Benayoun out apparently.

more from SSN:

link

Javier Mascherano and Yossi Benayoun have been ruled out of Liverpool's UEFA Champions League clash with Fiorentina.

The midfield pair have not travelled with the rest of the squad to Italy for Tuesday's Group E tie due to illness and injury respectively.

Maschaerano, who made a late appearance off the bench in the weekend win over Hull City, is suffering from sickness, while Benayoun picked up a leg knock in the same game.

Argentine enforcer Mascherano was expected to return to the starting line-up against Fiorentina, but his absence means Steven Gerrard is likely to continue in midfield alongside Lucas Leiva.

Ryan Babel will be hoping to get the nod to replace Benayoun in the starting line-up after his two-goal show as a substitute against Hull.

Meanwhile, Daniel Agger is set to make his return to action for the reserves on Tuesday night.

Agger has been pencilled in to feature in the reserves' clash with Manchester City after recovering from a back injury.

The Danish international has not featured this season after being forced to undergo surgery on the problem and Liverpool reserve team boss John McMahon believes it is an ideal game for the defender to make his return.

"It is fantastic to see Daniel back and it's a great boost for everyone at the club," McMahon told the club's official website.

"It's always great to see quality players come back from injury and this will be a perfect game for him to make his comeback.

"It's a fantastic stadium with a great pitch and it is always a fantastic boost for the young lads when they have a top professional like Daniel playing alongside them.

"The young lads look up to him and they can learn from him as well."

-----------------

So

Reina

Johnson     Carra    Skrtel    Aurelio/Insua

Babel         Gerrard   Lucas    Reira

Kuyt

Torres

???
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby TheLad » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:38 pm

Bad news.. Still we can win this one.
TheLad
LFC Super Member

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:40 pm

I think the only other way to draw it up would be an Insua, Aurelio partnership or an all Brazilian CM with Gerrard in an attacking midfield role.
JoeTerp

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:43 pm

Whatever the team, in all likelyhood our bench is going to look cr@p, so hopefully we come away without any injuries or we may have problems come Stamford Bridge.

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:52 pm

s@int wrote:Whatever the team, in all likelyhood our bench is going to look cr@p, so hopefully we come away without any injuries or we may have problems come Stamford Bridge.

I would imagine the w/e's game vs Chavski has influenced who Rafa is gonna put on the pitch....can't blame him for that, tho' I still think we should try to hoover up as many points as soon as possible in the CL and get qualification for the next round wrapped up early
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:25 pm

s@int wrote:Whatever the team, in all likelyhood our bench is going to look cr@p, so hopefully we come away without any injuries or we may have problems come Stamford Bridge.

hopefully Agger will be back by the weekend
JoeTerp

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:33 pm

JoeTerp wrote:

hopefully Agger will be back by the weekend

Bench maybe....... can't see him starting Joe?

Postby Toffeehater » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:17 pm

Big chance for babel on the right or uptop behind torres , hopefully he takes it . Yossi and Masch will be big losses but i'm confident that we have enough to win
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - Games