Crystal Palace V Liverpool - Sat 14th Feb K.O. 5.30pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby C-R » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:10 am

This competition (in my opinion) is the the only real chance of silverware for us this season and based on that i think we need to go all out on this match at a hostile venue

Palace have been a banana skin for us recently, they took us apart 3-1 in the league earlier this season and we all know what happened at the end of last season

They will be well up for this match, their fans are extremely passionate and create an unbelievable atmosphere, based on this we need to match it and rise above it

I would like to see BR show balls and leave SG out of the team, Can in centre midfield with Hendo and Lovren in the back 3

The forward line will be interesting as a lot depends on Sterlings fitness, with both Sturridge and Balotelli also available

Lets go all out for this
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:42 pm

Rumor is Sterling will miss this match again through injury :(

Plus of course Jordan Ibe is cup tied for this match also :(

Soooo, step up Lallana, Markovic or even Balotelli and take your chance  :nod
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:05 pm

cardiff-red » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:42 pm wrote:Rumor is Sterling will miss this match again through injury :(

Mario should start against Palace, so I'd be tempted to have Sturridge wide and Mario up front.

I'd also start Lallana in place of Markovic and push Can into the centre, with Lovern taking defensive duties. I'll be surprised if Gerrard starts, as he's carrying a knock.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:35 pm

7_Kewell » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:05 pm wrote:
cardiff-red » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:42 pm wrote:Rumor is Sterling will miss this match again through injury :(

Mario should start against Palace, so I'd be tempted to have Sturridge wide and Mario up front.

I'd also start Lallana in place of Markovic and push Can into the centre, with Lovern taking defensive duties. I'll be surprised if Gerrard starts, as he's carrying a knock.

As you say if we are going to have to play against Southampton and City without Lucas it may well be worth having a look at Lovren in the back line and Can next to Hendo. I'd go with something like this -

Mingolet

Lovren         Skrtel          Sakho

Markovic       Henderson       Can            Moreno

Coutinho         Lallana

Balotelli
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:48 pm

"ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:35 pm]

As you say if we are going to have to play against Southampton and City without Lucas it may well be worth having a look at Lovren in the back line and Can next to Hendo. I'd go with something like this -

Mingolet

Coutinho         Lallana

Balotelli

Nice, apart from the glaringly obvious omission of Sturridge for the one goal wonder that is Balotelli, did you pick Mario because you reckon he's now "in form"   :eyebrow

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby only me » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:36 pm

woof woof ! » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:48 pm wrote:

Mingolet

Coutinho         Lallana

Balotelli

Nice, apart from the glaringly obvious omission of Sturridge for the one goal wonder that is Balotelli, did you pick Mario because you reckon he's now "in form"   :eyebrow

Yep Mario as a lone striker worked so good for us no reason why it shouldn't work again. Really guys why are we still beating this "dead" horse?
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:59 pm

Mingolet

Coutinho         Lallana

Balotelli

I think he deserves the chance to show what he can do in this new formation, when he was playing earlier on in the season he had an out of form Coutinho and Sterling behind him, Gerrard was screening our defence and Lovren was the leader and organiser in the back 4.
Is it really any wonder that he struggled to make an impact?
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby only me » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:00 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:59 pm wrote:

Mingolet

Coutinho         Lallana

Balotelli

I think he deserves the chance to show what he can do in this new formation, when he was playing earlier on in the season he had an out of form Coutinho and Sterling behind him, Gerrard was screening our defence and Lovren was the leader and organiser in the back 4.
Is it really any wonder that he struggled to make an impact?

Yaka come on mate what new formation? This the previous all require a mobile striker Mario isn't that type of player. We gave him all the chances in the world (in my opinion shouldn't even been signed but that's a different subject) he shouldn't be playing unless Daniel is broken and we don't have Sterling available.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:06 pm

Why is the FA cup seen as our only chance of silverware? What about the Europa League? In normal circumstances, I'd value the FA cup before the Europa League but winning the EL is an alternative way of reaching the CL for us this year so EL gets top priority for me, even ahead of top 4 finish.

Anyway, I'd say again we need to rest a few. I want us to win everything as well but fatigue will be a huge problem for us and we'll regret playing the same team over and over.

Sturridge of course is one of the players I'd like us to rest but I'd be tempted to try something like this:

Mingolet

Manquillo    Skrtel    Lovren     Johnson/Enrique

Lallana        Can      Hendo       Markovic

Sturridge     Balotelli

A little change of system but I think we can afford it. Give Sturridge one half, get the job done and get him out. Coutinho definitely needs a rest, it was evident last night, and so do Sakho and Moreno. Hendo doesn't look tired at all and we can't afford to rest Can.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Boocity » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:21 am

damjan193 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:06 pm wrote:Why is the FA cup seen as our only chance of silverware? What about the Europa League? In normal circumstances, I'd value the FA cup before the Europa League but winning the EL is an alternative way of reaching the CL for us this year so EL gets top priority for me, even ahead of top 4 finish.

Anyway, I'd say again we need to rest a few. I want us to win everything as well but fatigue will be a huge problem for us and we'll regret playing the same team over and over.

Sturridge of course is one of the players I'd like us to rest but I'd be tempted to try something like this:

Mingolet

Sturridge     Balotelli

A little change of system but I think we can afford it. Give Sturridge one half, get the job done and get him out. Coutinho definitely needs a rest, it was evident last night, and so do Sakho and Moreno. Hendo doesn't look tired at all and we can't afford to rest Can.

Wouldn't go with that flat back four as that was a shambles earlier in the season, don't forget this is still a PL team we are playing so why start resting players.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:40 am

With SG out for 3+ weeks please let BR move Can forward and not put Allen in there
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:55 am

Won't be an easy game, we'll have to grind out a result I'm sure.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC1990 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:49 am

Sterling is out of the side for the forseeable until he gets his attitude right.

With Gerrard out we will a better team.

Palace beat us as they are a very quick side and when SG was our DM he was getting his ***** handed to him.

Personally i would only rest Coutinho

Mig
                             Lovren                      Skrtel                   Sakho

Markovic                  Hendo                   Can            Moreno

Lallana                Balotelli

Sturridge

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby C-R » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:43 pm

Colin Pascoe has revealed Steven Gerrard will undergo a scan on the hamstring problem which forced him to withdraw from Liverpool's dramatic victory over Tottenham Hotspur on Tuesday.

"Unfortunately, he felt his hamstring just towards the end of the game," said the assistant manager. "He's having a scan this morning and we're just waiting for the results to come back on that one."

Elsewhere, Raheem Sterling watched from the stands as the Reds came out on top against Spurs with a 3-2 win in the crucial Premier League clash.

"We're monitoring Raheem," said Pascoe. "He was gutted he missed the game the other night as he wasn't available. We're just monitoring him and seeing how he is."

Sterling watched as Daniel Sturridge was handed his first start since August last year against Mauricio Pochettino's charges - and the returning frontman turned in a lively display.

"He's desperate to play 90 minutes," said Pascoe. "He didn't want to come off. We knew up to 70 minutes was his maximum. Anything more than that then you're overstepping it and he could pull a muscle.

"We knew that Mario would be coming on for the last 20 minutes. It's a progression with Daniel - we can't push him too much at the moment. We'll monitor him and see how he is and how he's training.

"He's recovering at the moment. He's feeling great and he's feeling well. We'll have to talk to the sports scientists, but we don't want to push him; we don't want to break him. But he's not far off 90 minutes."

Meanwhile, Pascoe confirmed that Kolo Toure will return to Melwood on Monday having helped the Ivory Coast win the Africa Cup of Nations after a penalty shootout victory over Ghana at the weekend.
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:37 pm

Boocity » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:21 am wrote:
damjan193 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:06 pm wrote:Why is the FA cup seen as our only chance of silverware? What about the Europa League? In normal circumstances, I'd value the FA cup before the Europa League but winning the EL is an alternative way of reaching the CL for us this year so EL gets top priority for me, even ahead of top 4 finish.

Mingolet

Sturridge     Balotelli

Wouldn't go with that flat back four as that was a shambles earlier in the season, don't forget this is still a PL team we are playing so why start resting players.

Don't think that the flat back 4 was ever such a big problem mate, it was that Swiss cheese of a midfield that was responsible for our bad defense. You could still make a 3-4-3 formation with that same line-up though, but I don't think it will make much difference, at least not defensive-wise.

Trust me mate, near the end of the season we'll wish that we didn't play the same line-up over and over. Fatigue will definitely get to us if we keep this up. It will be horrible if we manage to beat the likes of Arsenal and Man Utd but then fail to see the season out with defeats/draws against lesser sides like WBA and Stoke and then wonder how that happened. We MUST rest players at some point. It's not like I'm saying we should sacrifice the cup either, bar the back four that's still a strong team, no?

The only concern that I have with that line-up of mine is the Skrtel-Lovren partnership, but playing those two together is going to be risky regardless of what formation we play.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - Games