Xherdan Shaqiri: Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:38 pm

I think one of the reasons Klopp bought him is his ability to play in multiple positions, and that's how Klopp will use him, as back up for the front three, and in the wide side of midfield.

His ability to score from outside the box will come from in handy when we come up against teams who park the bus, where we struggle to break them down.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:13 am

He's a decent signing for that price so its hard to see it being a bad move.

He reminds me of a lego dude though!! :D
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:43 am

RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:52 pm wrote:Now for the downside ,he has an attitude problem ,he has an extremely unlikable  persona in the same vein as Zlatan ,he has a tendency to switch off completely and let the game pass him by.

Klopp won't stand for that mate and neither will his team mates, it's either all in or feck off.  That might work at Stoke but not here.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:07 am

He seems best suited to playing on the right although being left footed similar to Salah.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:46 pm

Good squad signing this, will be down to Shaqiri to stake a claim for a regular starting place. But a surefire upgrade on what we have for the wide attacking positions
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:05 pm

He's had three seasons playing in this league for Stoke, so he should hit the ground running for us. I can't see him starting regularly though when you consider we have Wjnaldum, Milner, Hendo, Fabinho, keita, Lallana and the OX to come back.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby ethanr » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:25 pm

Somebody else had mentioned early in the summer we should be going after him, and I was thinking the exact same thing. He's cheap, experienced, and could be a great sub for us. THere's very low downside, but relatively high upside. If anything, he comes in late in games with 20-30 mins left, and absolutely kills the oppo with his speed. I don't see him playing in the center for us- I see him as a winger coming in for one of the front 3. I could see us playing him, Salah or Mane down the center when he comes on late, and using him to rest Salah and Mane, and even Firmino throughout the season.

Concerns about his willingness to defend, but our counter-attacking style could highly benefit him on the break.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Reg » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:16 am

He's more important that a sub, he's a rotation player for Mo, Booby or Mane. So much more effect than Solanke....
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:44 pm

If the manager can raise the respective games of ordinary players then he can completely resurrect the career of someone who is undoubtedly blessed with phenomenal footballing ability,I mean the media will be waiting for this to fail but this could easily turn out to be the scoop of the transfer window its simply all down to how much Xherdan is willing to give to make the doubters choke on their words. Over to you Shaq !
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:31 pm

Reg » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:16 am wrote:He's more important that a sub, he's a rotation player for Mo, Booby or Mane. So much more effect than Solanke....

Agree with this. Also will be much more effective than Lallana so Shaq 1st sub and Adam 2nd.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Pig Catcher » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:03 pm

Since he’s double against Man Utd on 16th December, he’s played 480 minutes of football for us and has managed 0 assists and 1 goal (the third against Newcastle on boxing day). And truth is he hasn’t created many chances or looked like scoring. I wonder if he’s struggling with his abdominal injury or if it’s an inevitable tail off in form?
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:50 pm

I wonder if he’s struggling with his abdominal injury or if it’s an inevitable tail off in form?

Tail off in form ? The fella hasn't been given a proper opportunity to show any form !

Not suggesting he would normally be one of my first names on the team sheet BUT before we start to question the fella's ability maybe we should give the fella a starting place and see how he does ? ? ?

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:03 pm

Looking at the team sheet today v Burnley, with Lallana back in the side reportedly earned thru great work in training sessions, I'm beginning to wonder if Shaqiri's limited opportunities are down to lack of application in training ?

Obviously something about him is not impressing our manager enough to give him a run in the side.   :(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Red Rum » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:18 pm

woof woof ! » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:50 pm wrote:
I wonder if he’s struggling with his abdominal injury or if it’s an inevitable tail off in form?

Tail off in form ? The fella hasn't been given a proper opportunity to show any form !

Not suggesting he would normally be one of my first names on the team sheet BUT before we start to question the fella's ability maybe we should give the fella a starting place and see how he does ? ? ?

Too right. You can't show any form, or build Confidence in a player if they rarely play, or just get ten mins here and there. I thought Shaqiris ability to spot a pass with a through ball and also bag a few goals is very good.
Red Rum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby redshade » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:54 pm

We really don't know what is happening behind the scenes. May his effort is not consistent in training hmmm i don't know. I just find it odd how his not given pitch time.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion