Why why why - Current situation!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ICE-MAN » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:42 pm

as this is a discussion i dont want people to start slagging off other peoples views!

but my views at the current time are that we should not be signing pellegrino, hes too old, has no pace and is just gonna be a bench warmer! its just a straight swap for henchoz and pretty pointless i reckon! i know he is coming on a free but just when we start getting rid of some dead wood like henchoz etc and freeing up some of the wage bill for better players, we go and sign this old player, who will have to settle in, learn the language, bring his family to a new country etc, WHY BOTHER???

i also dont like the vibes coming from rafa, saying we dont need superstars, just players with good mentality who want to play for liverpool, i want to play for liverpool and i will have a great mentality if given the chance why not sign me, i reckon rafa saying this is code for we wont be getting the likes of anelka or morientes but someone in the mould of david villa (waster no doubt!), i hope im proven wrong with this i really do, cos if many players like pellegrino start signing gerrard and baros are entitled to leave now!

im encouraged by the form of riise at present, i always thought he was a good player but under houlliers boring tactics he was under heavy shackles not to venture forward, rafa is obviously encouraging him to get forward and were seeing the benefits by his current goals spree, same can be said of kewell, he was working hard and getting some good performances under his belt before he got injured so fingers crossed he will come back with the smae form or better!

well theyre just some of the things on my mind at present with regards to lfc, so let me know what ye think!  :cool:
ICE-MAN

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:02 pm

in general i agree, it does seem pointless to me, especially with traore`s last few starts at centre half looking encouraging.
but benitez has done a excellent job considering what he`s had to put up with so i`ll just trust his judgement.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby redman25 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:59 pm

dont understand it myself with this new lad being 33.  Obviously something has happended behind closed doors with Henchoz.  The lad does not have a future with Liverpool anymore shame really think he did a good job for us.  His comments of late have not helped the situation.
redman25

Postby Santa » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:01 pm

anyone knows what Pellegrino can offer to the team that Henchoz can't?
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby addicted norwegian » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:09 pm

ICE-MAN wrote:but my views at the current time are that we should not be signing pellegrino, hes too old, has no pace and is just gonna be a bench warmer! its just a straight swap for henchoz and pretty pointless i reckon! i know he is coming on a free but just when we start getting rid of some dead wood like henchoz etc and freeing up some of the wage bill for better players, we go and sign this old player, who will have to settle in, learn the language, bring his family to a new country etc, WHY BOTHER???

I disagree with you on that one. Like I said in another thread; We have a current problem with all the injuries on our offencive players (Baros, Cissè, Kewell, Smicer), and there is no doubt that we need to strengthen our striker-force. But if we spend all funds available on strikers (Anelka, Morientes, Aimar, Villa or others) what then if Hyypia or Carra get injured?
Signing Pellegrino on a free transfer sounds wise to me
addicted norwegian
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ICE-MAN » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:09 pm

my point exactly, and with the current financial situation not that i know a whole lot about it, but why not just let henchoz go and get a decent defender in the summer, if a problem arises, young whitbread is a great youngster who would do well under the watchful eye of either hyypia or carra, its just adding another bench warmer to the squad and another chunk out of our wages cos there will be a signing on fee involved, its well pointless in my view!

just hope we get morientes i really think he would do well for us! :cool:
ICE-MAN

Postby BOODIDDY » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:11 pm

I can understand the frustrations of some of you at the signing of a 33 yr defender, but he is a much better defender than henchoz, and lest we forget gary mac at 36! OK pellegrino wont have that sort of influence but other defenders of his age and older are still performing at the highest level. So, lets give the lad a chance im sure rafa knows if he is suited fro thr prem or not.

Also, when rafa said that its important to have players with a good mentality rather than a superstar, i think this is right. Liverpool of old never had any superstars just a great team ethic, and look at the situation at madrid. Now, no one wants that im sure. Also by saying this, rafa is probably putting doubts in the minds of the boards who own the so-called superstars that rafa is wanting, and so this might get them to do business swiftly before he looks elsewhere
BOODIDDY
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ICE-MAN » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:19 pm

if he is doing what u say he is a genius and i hope your right! the thing is rafa knows what he wants and apart from josemi im happy with his decisions so far so fingers crossed that your right mate! plus there is so much that happens behind closed doors that we dont know! :cool:

we definitely need to lighten our wage bill though and with henchoz going it will help, but i wouldnt mind seeing the back of either biscan or diao either, in all fairness they will never bring much to the team even if biscan looked good for 2 or 3 games! :cool:
ICE-MAN

Postby mrcool2003 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:32 pm

yckatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:in general i agree, it does seem pointless to me, especially with traore`s last few starts at centre half looking encouraging.
but benitez has done a excellent job considering what he`s had to put up with so i`ll just trust his judgement.

your backside, traore needs to be gone, hes a liability and since when did he start at centre half, ive seen him left back this season but never centre half and hes a stop gap the valencia defender til the summer, trust me
mrcool2003
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthernScouser » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:40 pm

I think it's a wise move - if the guys as good as Rafa seems to think
Let's be honest - at the moment, whatever happened with Henchoz - he wasn't gettin a look in so there was really no pressure or cover for Hyppia & J C
Now obviously J C is playing out of his skin this season - and Sami has done ok - but has been prone to the odd mistake - perhaps this little bit of business will help focus his mind a tiny bit more - and also provide decent cover at the back - people may think it's a short term solution but if we get 2 or 3 seasons out of him & he's class - who know's where we will be then & what are financial status will be ??
SouthernScouser

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:50 pm

Liverpool of old never had any superstars just a great team ethic

Thats actually the best thing you've ever said. Liverpool used to make the superstars, but I cant help thinking we need a quick boost of superstar talent. These days managers don't get the time to mould superstars out of players, like back in Shanks day. Shanks could just tweak the team and keep up the pace, we haven't really got that sort of form yet have we?
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:54 pm

Santa wrote:anyone knows what Pellegrino can offer to the team that Henchoz can't?

Pace, league winning medals, past glory with Rafa.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ICE-MAN » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:08 pm

pace at 33 ????

have u seriously ever seen him play i havent? i dont get to watch much spanish football
ICE-MAN

Postby Red_Si » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:09 pm

Regarding Traore - I still don't think his improvement this season justifies the £1.5m we turned down from Everton.
That was a nice £1m profit on a donkey whose legs could snap at any moment.

Rafa's two mistakes - signing Josemi and not selling Traore.
Red_Si

Postby ICE-MAN » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:13 pm

i do think traore has done well this season, against chelsea he nearly scored and set up garcia for a header that he should have scored, he also caused duff and robben to be both substituted which meant him and our other back three didnt give the 2best wingers in the league a sniff all game! i dont think hes a centre half though!
ICE-MAN

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion