DANIEL STURRIDGE- Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:22 pm

There is no point in trying to loan or sell him because at the end of the season he can sign for another club on a free. As far as I am aware his deal runs out in January 2019 so trying to get anything for him is nigh on impossible. In truth he should have been sold long before now when it was clear he is made of paper and a luxury we cannot afford to have. This is his 7th season with us and he has only managed  125 appearances in all competitions. Granted his strike rate is almost half that but having him for a few games here and there just sums up his career. The best season he ever had in terms of goals and appearances was alongside Suarez that year. He hasn't come close to emulating that season since.

In fairness to Danny though he is a quality finisher when on it. Just think Klopp marked his card early on and they never really saw eye to eye since. He doesn't get the protection anymore like he got with Rodgers where we would play to his strengths. He has to adapt under Klopp to incorporate more aspects to his game which he isn't able for.  We have no other options and Klopp isn't flexible enough to switch it up so Danny will just have to keep plugging away when selected. He will certainly weigh in with a few goals this season but his time is up here and we need to get someone more reliable and better suited to the system.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Doeboy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:29 pm

I'd still back Sturridge to get plenty of goals at a club where the team is built around him, where he is maybe carried somewhat and not asked to do much of the running/dirty work. That isn't going to happen at one of the top 6 teams, best he could get is time off the bench. But at a midtable and lower club, build a team around him and get him in the box and I've got no doubt he will put the chances away but obviously any club taking him on will be nervous about just how often they can actually get him on the pitch. Feel sorry for the lad as I do feel that if he wasn't plagued by injury, he is comfortably a 20+ league goals a season striker and would be amongst the likes of Kane, Aguero, Lukaku etc chasing that golden boot
Doeboy

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:10 pm

The fact that people are making excuses for him shows how far he has deteriorated. A striker has to be deadly to be effective and I know its a cliche but their currency is goals. Sturridge has been a good player at LFC, he could have been great except for the "injuries". Now its too late Im afraid as Klopp wont give him the games he obviously needs to get sharp, IF he can get sharp. I personally think hes lost it and sundays sitter only proves the point. As Carragher said, if that falls to Kane or Lukaku, its in the net
:(
Thommo's perm

Postby mart » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:33 pm

Doeboy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:29 pm wrote:I'd still back Sturridge to get plenty of goals at a club where the team is built around him, where he is maybe carried somewhat and not asked to do much of the running/dirty work. That isn't going to happen at one of the top 6 teams, best he could get is time off the bench. But at a midtable and lower club, build a team around him and get him in the box and I've got no doubt he will put the chances away but obviously any club taking him on will be nervous about just how often they can actually get him on the pitch. Feel sorry for the lad as I do feel that if he wasn't plagued by injury, he is comfortably a 20+ league goals a season striker and would be amongst the likes of Kane, Aguero, Lukaku etc chasing that golden boot

Who is going to build their team around a player with his injury record?
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby mart » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:33 pm

Doeboy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:29 pm wrote:I'd still back Sturridge to get plenty of goals at a club where the team is built around him, where he is maybe carried somewhat and not asked to do much of the running/dirty work. That isn't going to happen at one of the top 6 teams, best he could get is time off the bench. But at a midtable and lower club, build a team around him and get him in the box and I've got no doubt he will put the chances away but obviously any club taking him on will be nervous about just how often they can actually get him on the pitch. Feel sorry for the lad as I do feel that if he wasn't plagued by injury, he is comfortably a 20+ league goals a season striker and would be amongst the likes of Kane, Aguero, Lukaku etc chasing that golden boot

mart
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:06 pm

mart » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:33 pm wrote:

Exactly. BR tried and it ended up biting him on the *****.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:17 am

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... t-11548823

To be honest we rarely use him and only when we are not scoring Studge is our next option. I would like to keep him part of the squad as we have many games to play. IF we go on a run in the FA cup and Champions league there will be times we will need him.
However i can't see him getting a lot of game so to be fair if he wants regular footy i can understand him wanting to move on.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:10 am

I feel like he underachieved to be fair. The way he started with us he was on course to be a legend but sort of became a prima Donna when we needed him after Suarez left and sort of lost his way as we became better. Has not made a consistent impact since Suarez was here. For me he goes down as one who could have been much more but waisted his talent rather than kept his head down to be one of the best strikers in the world, which he had the talent to be.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:31 am

It's obvious Klopp doesn't fancy him, and is a squad player at best. Wouldn't surprise me if he left to get more game time elsewhere. Hasn't been the same player since suarez left, like has already been mentioned. We could do with a new prolific striker anyhow, next summer preferably.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Fowler_E7 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:29 pm

kazza » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:10 am wrote:I feel like he underachieved to be fair. The way he started with us he was on course to be a legend but sort of became a prima Donna when we needed him after Suarez left and sort of lost his way as we became better. Has not made a consistent impact since Suarez was here. For me he goes down as one who could have been much more but waisted his talent rather than kept his head down to be one of the best strikers in the world, which he had the talent to be.

what a load of rubbish, the guy has been injured and then eventually lost his place in the team its got nothing to do with his attitude.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:20 pm

Fowler_E7 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:29 am wrote:
kazza » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:10 am wrote:I feel like he underachieved to be fair. The way he started with us he was on course to be a legend but sort of became a prima Donna when we needed him after Suarez left and sort of lost his way as we became better. Has not made a consistent impact since Suarez was here. For me he goes down as one who could have been much more but waisted his talent rather than kept his head down to be one of the best strikers in the world, which he had the talent to be.

what a load of rubbish, the guy has been injured and then eventually lost his place in the team its got nothing to do with his attitude.

You are entitled to your own opinion but the way I remember it he started with the silly dance, he then came out with his own brand of apparel branding the dance which he wore that was banned by the club ( that was the start of the problems between him and Klopp), then the manager and a number of former players with insight and contacts in the club calling him out as to the actual severity of his injuries. He also does tend to sulk when things are not going his way and he should have found a way to be more useful to the way we play, it's about the team not about him. He has the skill set and engine to play like Firmino and he would probably be better at it but he does not have the same heart or drive and that is why Firmino starts ahead of him. Saying his fall from grace is purely due to injuries is a simplistic view in my opinion.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:25 pm

Fowler_E7 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:29 am wrote:

I think the system that Klopp likes to play and the type of player he is looking for has alot to do with Sturridge not being first choice. It is not about fancying him as a player. Firmino has 3 goals out of 12 appearances. Sturridge has 2 goals out of 8 appearances. Yet Firmino will always get the start over Sturridge. And that is because Firmino's work rate is alot better than Sturridge. Firmino is moving all the time. But Sturridge's finishing quality and directness is better than Firmino. Firmino is the more skillful version of Kuyt. Kuyt was not dropped by Rafa due to what he brings to the team and was transformed into a wide player. That is relentlessly working to get the ball and to move with it and linking players from defence to attack. Firmino has a similar role in the current team. If we are a team who wants to challenge for and win the league, we should be able to keep Sturridge as a squad player. Ole gunnar solskjaer despite having the talent to be a first team striker decides to have a sub role under whiskey nose. So did Javier Hernandez. If we lose one of Firmino, Mane, Salah, who could we bring on if we don't have Sturridge? The youngster Solanke who is not established in this league yet? That's not good enough...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pig Catcher » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:39 pm

His agent was asking around in the summer and there wasn't a half decent club willing to get even remotely close to the sort of wages he is earning right now. He'll have to take a huge drop in wages and go to a club far lower down in the league if he want to stay in the PL.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:32 pm

My personal opinion ?

One of the most talented players we have BUT since recurring injuries the fella has been playing on egg shells , i.e. doesn't want to get hurt again and therefore doesn't put on the after burners and won't get stuck in.

He doesn't fit the Kloppo mould. He's a luxury we can do without.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:16 pm

The arrogance of the fella astounds me,he wants to suddenly play after years of malingering because he fears missing the World Cup, Sturridge has as much chance of being included in the squad Southgate chooses for Russia as Russia have of winning the f*cking thing. The fella actually believes he deserves to be in this team based on 2 goals,and that Klopp has forgot the opportunities he was afforded to impress only to stink the place out with his indifference for the shirt.

Get rid ! I mean ,for a striker with seemingly all the talent in the world ,I've slowly but surely become heartily sick of his posturing. 

See Collymore
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion