Virgil van Dijk - Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:59 pm

As ridiculous as the fee is it soon becomes yesterday's news, people move on to the next story, everyone was aghast at Pogba's fee but after Neymar's transfer to PSG if anything United probably got him slightly on the cheap, if Coutinho and Dembele are worth around £130m-£150m then £90m for Pogba is decent business.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Klopptomaniac » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:52 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:59 pm wrote:As ridiculous as the fee is it soon becomes yesterday's news, people move on to the next story, everyone was aghast at Pogba's fee but after Neymar's transfer to PSG if anything United probably got him slightly on the cheap, if Coutinho and Dembele are worth around £130m-£150m then £90m for Pogba is decent business.

Don't most fees look like decent business in hindsight tho? Shearer 15m, Suarez 23m. When Maureen said Pogba would look cheap it would obviously be the case with the direction the market was going but they didn't help matters by paying it.

VVD is expensive now but personally, the fee doesn't enter my mind anymore. Capable centre halves are a premium these days and we finally have one who can organise the back 4 and if he does the job he's certainly capable of then it's good business.

Still need a reliable keeper mind but we're certainly going in the right direction, signing the players we actually want/need and not a cheaper foreign import.

Onwards and upwards.
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby kazza » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:08 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:59 pm wrote:As ridiculous as the fee is it soon becomes yesterday's news, people move on to the next story, everyone was aghast at Pogba's fee but after Neymar's transfer to PSG if anything United probably got him slightly on the cheap, if Coutinho and Dembele are worth around £130m-£150m then £90m for Pogba is decent business.

I think that the Neymar deal was unusual as we went from 90m to 200m in one year. I think it will be a few years before 200m is broken. If the most expensive player that year went up by 20% annually it would be considered inflated but to more than double the price in one year seems like a bubble. Remember no team pays upfront, it is all installments which adds interest as well.

When rulers of countries buy football teams like PSG and Man City it's not fair and it will screw up the game. They don't care how much players cost because it it is not their money, they are just spending it. At least when teams like Real Madrid, Barcelona or even ( sickeningly) ManUre pay high prices they make it up in shirt sales which makes it economically viable, PSG and City do not have the fan base to afford those prices. Nobody talks about the FIFA fair play rules any more

On another note If football figured out that we don't need agents, that they don't actually add anything to game we all love, it would save a huge amount that could be invested back into football. In the old days players had no power and now they have too much, surely the next step will be a correction to the middle. Shanks must be turning in his grave as it has become

Agent
Players
Manager
Club

Fans ( even though without the fans there would be no show)
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:28 pm

There seems to be a distortion of reality with this guys transfer fee.
The fees being banded about in this forum 100m+ for your Neymars, Coutinho, Pogba, Harry Kanes etc are paying top money for the BEST players in the world. VVD comes from Southampton. 75m is what we should be paying for Real Madrid or Barcelona defenders.
Why are we paying top dollar for Southampton players!?? Can anyone answer me that.

I think we simply being held to ransom by Southampton over this tapping up business!

The world has gone bonkers mad in my opinion.

What next?? Are we going to sell captain marvel Hendo to Chelsea for 80m? Milner for 70m, or Can for 90m.

It's bonkers.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:39 pm

Ghost of Shankly » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:28 pm wrote:
What next?? Are we going to sell captain marvel Hendo to Chelsea for 80m? Milner for 70m, or Can for 90m.

Well it's a start
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:13 am

Stop whining.

It's Klopp's first choice and I trust his judgment because the players he got so far are pretty good.

75m, 100m, 150m, who the f*ck cares.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:46 am

Neymars transfer was a complete joke  :nod He wanted out of Barca so they thrashed out a figure of 200 mil for him to buy out the remainder of his contract which he did. Then he signs for a Club already in trouble with FFP but because he was a free agent it doesn't count.  :laugh: By all reports he now wants out of PSG to go to Madrid  :laugh:
Pogbas transfer was another joke because his agent pocketed just over half of the fee  :laugh: These are the reasons both of those went for stupid money  :nod

What people seem to not be getting is that we do the exact same thing ourselves. We didn't care when Torres left because we got well paid, Same with Suarez and then Sterling. As it stands now half the fan base don't care about losing our best player as long as we get 130 million for him. 
Swings and roundabouts  :nod
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:06 am

As Guardiola said in his press conference today if Van Dijk comes here, plays well and is in the team for the next 6 or 7 years he'll be a bargain. He said in the long run the more expensive signings often end up costing clubs less.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:03 pm

Ghost of Shankly wrote:There seems to be a distortion of reality with this guys transfer fee.
The fees being banded about in this forum 100m+ for your Neymars, Coutinho, Pogba, Harry Kanes etc are paying top money for the BEST players in the world. VVD comes from Southampton. 75m is what we should be paying for Real Madrid or Barcelona defenders.
Why are we paying top dollar for Southampton players!?? Can anyone answer me that.

I think we simply being held to ransom by Southampton over this tapping up business!

The world has gone bonkers mad in my opinion.

It's bonkers.

What reality are you talking about?
???
Thommo's perm

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:17 pm

The reality of modern day transfer fees.
Van Dijk is not in the Neymar, Coutinho, Harry Kane , Pogba bracket in terms of transfer fees , is he?
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:22 pm

Ghost of Shankly » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:17 pm wrote:The reality of modern day transfer fees.
Van Dijk is not in the Neymar, Coutinho, Harry Kane , Pogba bracket in terms of transfer fees , is he?

£75 million is the reality of modern day transfer fees. You either pay the fee or you dont?
"Worth" has nothing to do with it?
:no
Thommo's perm

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:39 pm

So let me get this right.

FSG and Klopp are wrong when they try and sign players on the cheap...

...and they're wrong when they pay top dollar for their number 1 targets...

Righto
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:49 pm

Thommo's perm » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:22 pm wrote:
Ghost of Shankly » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:17 pm wrote:The reality of modern day transfer fees.

£75 million is the reality of modern day transfer fees. You either pay the fee or you dont?

Thommo, let me phrase it another way. How highly do you rate Van Dijk as a defender!..

A prospect?
Just Competent?
World class?
Top Drawer?

Salah, in comparison is Top Drawer, and was half the price. VVD has enormous pressure on him now due to this.

Remember, price is what you pay, Value is what you GET.

Southampton have held us to ransom over this tapping up business. Boo hoo! :(
Amen.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:18 am

Ghost of Shankly wrote:
Thommo's perm » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:22 pm wrote:

Thommo, let me phrase it another way. How highly do you rate Van Dijk as a defender!..

A prospect?
Just Competent?
World class?
Top Drawer?

Salah, in comparison is Top Drawer, and was half the price. VVD has enormous pressure on him now due to this.

Remember, price is what you pay, Value is what you GET.

Southampton have held us to ransom over this tapping up business. Boo hoo! :(
Amen.

You are a dreamer my friend. You want everything to go back to the way it used to be where you paid the correct amount for a player and we all lived happily ever after. Thats not reality Im afraid. Salah cost over the odds until he became a phenomenon. He was a chelsea reject and it was common knowledge that we had been ripped off, until he started scoring goals for fun. Then we had ourselves the bargain of the decade. Then we could estimate what he was worth and what his VALUE is.
In other words, every transfer is a gamble, no matter what the cost. If southampton have held us to ransom then so be it. We have taken their very best players quite cheaply in the past few years so it evens itself out? I for one wont be crying like an arl woman because VVD has cost over the odds. So what if he has? Enjoy the fact that we have just acquired one of the best defenders in europe and stop blathering on about a few million quid.
Lighten up for fu'cks sake!
  :rasp
Thommo's perm

Postby killerp » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:53 am

If only we had Southampton's scouts employed here... they seem to be getting it right more often than not.

Hope we can offload this trash onto them though in gratitude for ripping us off :devil:

killerp

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion