Virgil van Dijk - Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby redshade » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:13 pm

Yup he did well and could've scored again.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:15 pm

red till i die!! » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:12 pm wrote:Whatever about the loss tonight but I thought the best thing about us was Van Dijk. Reads the game very well and made plenty of clearances and interceptions. He is also a monster threat the other end. Can't fault him for the goal either as not only did he have to beat the Swansea players to it but also our own.
Great league debut from the big man  :nod

Yeah, although we lost the defence played quite well, Swansea had one half chance and took it.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby only me » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:36 pm

red till i die!! » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:12 pm wrote:Whatever about the loss tonight but I thought the best thing about us was Van Dijk. Reads the game very well and made plenty of clearances and interceptions. He is also a monster threat the other end. Can't fault him for the goal either as not only did he have to beat the Swansea players to it but also our own.

Come on mate he was totally at fault for the goal ,he gave a totally unnecessary corner followed by a poor clearance which cost us the goal..Other then that he was good but can't ignore those individual mistakes..Very costly today.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:38 pm

I thought he played well, looking composed.

He is our future captain
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Doeboy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:16 am

only me » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:36 pm wrote:

Come on mate he was totally at fault for the goal ,he gave a totally unnecessary corner followed by a poor clearance which cost us the goal..Other then that he was good but can't ignore those individual mistakes..Very costly today.

Think this is the issue. He can looks absolutely top drsw most of the game but has at the same time shows a few chinks in his game. Noticed it at at Southampton to
Doeboy

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:20 am

only me » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:36 pm wrote:

Yeah he gave away the corner and it was a poor header but it would have been a different story if he didn't have to contend with a few of our own lads challenging him for it as well. He has barely a foot in the door and it will take him time to adapt to the system and those around him.
Blaming him for the result because of a poor header under those circumstances is stretching it a bit.
The warning signs were there early on when they had that goal disallowed and we didn't heed it. We got what we deserved in the end.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:34 am

He's a Rolls Royce of a defender. Future star, no doubt about it.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:43 am

red till i die!! » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:20 pm wrote:
only me » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:36 pm wrote:

Yeah he gave away the corner and it was a poor header but it would have been a different story if he didn't have to contend with a few of our own lads challenging him for it as well. He has barely a foot in the door and it will take him time to adapt to the system and those around him.
Blaming him for the result because of a poor header under those circumstances is stretching it a bit.
The warning signs were there early on when they had that goal disallowed and we didn't heed it. We got what we deserved in the end.

I didn't blame him for the result.. Blamed him for the goal..
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:44 am

You made reference to his individual mistakes and said they were very costly today. Sorry if I picked you up wrong on that.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:15 pm

He wasnt to blame for the defeat. Neither was Karius. The forwards failing to score had a lot to do with it and the way we played generally.
He has already improved the defense and will continue to the longer he is here
:buttrock
Thommo's perm

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:37 pm

He'll be a real threat from set pieces as soon as Ox gets it over the first man.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:27 am

7_Kewell » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:34 am wrote:He's a Rolls Royce of a defender. Future star, no doubt about it.

+1
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:16 am

The odd individual mistake is expected with ANY player, may it be Maldini, the legendary Beckenbauer etc. It becomes a problem if the mistakes are repeated like Lovren and Mignolet. Our defensive coaching is also lacking when the odd individual mistakes leads to goals and cost us points which really is happening too often. Klopp really needs to relook at his defensive system and coaches.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:21 pm

To call that goal an individual mistake is a bit harsh. Had he been alone he would have cleared the header easily but there were two of our players in the way and he was blocked from reaching the ball. There was a lack of coordination between the defenders granted as three went for the same ball but to single out Van Dyke is probably harsh. I still think we are far superior with him.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:31 pm

Only played two games. It's going to take him a few games to bed in anyway. Go easy on him.

But with the 75m price tag comes Pressure, and lots of it.!!
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion