Trophy cabinet full of cobwebs

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby redshade » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:26 am

I was just having a look at our trophies we've won.
We all know when was the last time we won EPL but when you actually think about it, 26 friggin years!!!

90's was dry just added an FA cup and League cup.

Early 2000's we did pretty well added a good few trophies.

Last 10 years we've just got 1 League cup to show.

Runner up means nothing, never an achievement and never any recognition.

Its a shame really, we were a force and always competed/Won trophies.
Now we've just become an average (Just above) mid table team.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Pig Catcher » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:54 pm

Good thread.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:56 pm

For someone who grew up watching Liverpool destroy teams in the 80s it's difficult to comprehend, and Ive said before that on the night we last won the title it would be 2017 and we wouldnt win it again it was unimaginable.

Part of the problem is Liverpool havent fallen through the bottom like a Leeds, and despite absolute mediocrity still manage to carry off the impersonation of being a big club, this is something Hamann eluded too recently and its correct. We have maintained a massive fan base, which is an achievement in itself, but we are not on of Europes big clubs anymore.

Klopps the newest guy with a long term project and I hate that position, I want a Liverpool that is playing to win NOW and really, I mean REALLY, trying to do it, this is my indifference to the owners.

My mind is still full of great memories but they are just that, ghosts and long ago, I think to myself what is the expectation of 20 something fan now, or a boy/girl taking in their first game at Anfield? Pretty low level I assume, top 4 and a cup final, really that is an amazing season truth be told, but never enough for me, I want the glory days back, immediately.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:11 pm

I am jelous of fans who lived through our heydays.
The best success i experienced is Champions league and to be honest we had a shyte team then so it wasn't like domination or like we were world beaters then.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:56 pm

I was lucky, when my dad started taking me regularly the likes of Kevin Keegan, Emlyn Hughes and Tommy Smith were the backbone of the team.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:13 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:56 pm wrote:I was lucky, when my dad started taking me regularly the likes of Kevin Keegan, Emlyn Hughes and Tommy Smith were the backbone of the team.

Us arl fellas were spoilt mate  :;):  Its easy for us to preach patience when success was a byword and winning trophies by the sack load was almost a given.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:36 am

To be honest we had an aging team and it was right at the time money started to talk big time. The introduction of the premier league was within a season or two and to compete in it successfully would take cash bags the size of such had never been seen in football. Sure, we were buying players for top cash during the 70s 80s domination, fees of £350k was proper spunking it on some footballer but to compete in this new sky Tv driven premiership would require investment to the tune of millions per player...  Liverpool fell behind. Then we land souness as our manager and our aging team is broke up and never replaced. That's just my take on it though, how it seemed to me as a  fan watching on.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:55 pm

parchpea » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:56 pm wrote:For someone who grew up watching Liverpool destroy teams in the 80s it's difficult to comprehend, and Ive said before that on the night we last won the title it would be 2017 and we wouldnt win it again it was unimaginable.

Part of the problem is Liverpool havent fallen through the bottom like a Leeds, and despite absolute mediocrity still manage to carry off the impersonation of being a big club, this is something Hamann eluded too recently and its correct. We have maintained a massive fan base, which is an achievement in itself, but we are not on of Europes big clubs anymore.

Klopps the newest guy with a long term project and I hate that position, I want a Liverpool that is playing to win NOW and really, I mean REALLY, trying to do it, this is my indifference to the owners.

My mind is still full of great memories but they are just that, ghosts and long ago, I think to myself what is the expectation of 20 something fan now, or a boy/girl taking in their first game at Anfield? Pretty low level I assume, top 4 and a cup final, really that is an amazing season truth be told, but never enough for me, I want the glory days back, immediately.

F88king hell mate, we''re NOTHING like a Leeds. That lot went down and even ended up in League 1 at one stage, playing against Colchester, Walsall and the like. We've finished mid table a couple of season, but anyone at Leeds would give their right arm to be in our position.

When we last won the league, our team was old and many of our players were getting past their best. Our manager was also on the verge of a mental breakdown. Sadly, when Souncess arrived, he replaced quality with cr@p. He also sold some important guys too who still had a few years left at the top, such as Beardsley, Staunton and Houghton.

Anyway, we have a winner in charge and I'm confident he'll bring the good times back.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:46 pm

I know we arent like Leeds but it was an example of how far a club can fall and in that regard our situation could have been much worse.

It is high time we had a better team though and a successful one, in my opinion we are still some way off that and with moneyball still very much alive that wint be changing anytime soon even with Klopp at the helm.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:05 pm

We could've continued winning under Evans. We had some quality players then Fowler, Mcmanaman, Barnes, Redknapp, Jones, Wright.
Sadly we had a shyte keeper then.
James was just awful. Anyone remember when we lost 3-0 1st leg vs psg back in 96 i think. Calamity James.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby parchpea » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:43 pm

Probably not escaped notice United won a trophy today, a winner Ibrahimovic the difference.

At 35 never injured and banging goals in but nobody with his profile will ever be recruited by Liverpool.

You can pay Lallana and Firmino the equivalent in wages but big players elevate all around them, Utd are pretty ordinary but a man like him changes everything and its absolutely heartbreaking.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby leeroy74 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:52 pm

Watched the Chelsea match from yesterday and they're a different class going forward. High intensity football...  Lovely to watch
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:13 pm

parchpea » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:43 pm wrote:Probably not escaped notice United won a trophy today, a winner Ibrahimovic the difference.

At 35 never injured and banging goals in but nobody with his profile will ever be recruited by Liverpool.

You can pay Lallana and Firmino the equivalent in wages but big players elevate all around them, Utd are pretty ordinary but a man like him changes everything and its absolutely heartbreaking.

They still have got 2 more cups to go for.
I can see them winning the Europa league.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:15 pm

leeroy74 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:52 pm wrote:Watched the Chelsea match from yesterday and they're a different class going forward. High intensity football...  Lovely to watch

Yup title is won. They deserve it, funny thing is even if we didn't have that blip in January we still would've been good few points behind them. Chelsea are too hard to compete with this season.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:48 am

parchpea » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:43 pm wrote:Probably not escaped notice United won a trophy today, a winner Ibrahimovic the difference.

Very good older players have proofed invaluable throughout the history of this game. Remember Teddy Sheringham winning games for them. Gary Mac proofed invaluable in our treble winning season. The current FSG policy doesnt recognise this...
When we talk about us not having a Plan B, this aspect also contributes to it...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion