The departures lounge - who should we be looking to move on?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:35 pm

With just a handful of league games left, I thought it might be time to look ahead to the summer and the inevitable departures.  Who should stay and who should go?

For me Migs should be moved on. His time here is clearly up and it's probably best he find his level at somewhere like West Ham....same for Sturridge, although I think a loan will be a more realsitic bet given he only has 12 months left on his contract. Anyone else?
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby johnbarnes » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:33 pm

I think it's Moron's time too leave as well.
Get in another LB... May even be an opportunity for a direct swap deal with the right club.
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby Eagle » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:00 pm

I doubt Mignolet and Ward will settle for number 2 next season. Mignolet will probably move on permanently and Ward on loan. Can’t believe Bogdan is still here. Hopefully he’ll find another club. Flanagan has no future here but it may be difficult to find a buyer. Moreno will probably want to leave in order to get his career back on track so we’ll need to bring in a LB.

Can will leave and we’ll go big on a replacement. Hopefully we can find buyers for Markovic, Sturridge and Origi and replace them with someone who is a serious option to cover for the front 3.

Beyond on that it’s not too obvious. There is no one who Klopp will be rushing out of the door. But in order to improve the starting 11 he’ll probably end up selling someone who he actually likes. Outside bets for me would be Lallana and Lovren being sold to make way for players going straight into the starting 11.
Eagle

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:02 pm

Doesn't Flannos contract expire in the summer?  Thought that was the only reason the club hadn't sacked him...
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby electrum » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:32 pm

For me the following should definitely go:

Sturridge- no longer the player he was and simply does not fit Klopp's style and never will
Moreno- liability
Mignolet- Not good enough
Henderson- Not good enough to be first XI for a club with title hopes - not sure what he can bring from the bench either apart from 3-5 yard sideways passes most of the time. How he is captain defies belief. Not a leader in any way, shape or form.
Lovren- decent but too many brain fart moments
electrum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:26 pm

electrum » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:32 pm wrote:For me the following should definitely go:

Sturridge- no longer the player he was and simply does not fit Klopp's style and never will
Moreno- liability
Mignolet- Not good enough
Henderson- Not good enough to be first XI for a club with title hopes - not sure what he can bring from the bench either apart from 3-5 yard sideways passes most of the time. How he is captain defies belief. Not a leader in any way, shape or form.
Lovren- decent but too many brain fart moments

I'd keep Henderson as a squad player, we are already going to be losing Can and Milner is going to be another year older so we'd be thin on the ground for CM's, especially for a club competing in 4 competitions.
Even if we brought in Keita and Jorginho that would still only leave us with 3 starting CM's (Keita, Jorginho and Wijnaldum).
Id probably keep Lovren for the same reason, an injury to VVD or Matip and we'd be in trouble.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:12 pm

Yup and with Lallana getting these frequent injuries our squad may seem even more thin.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:26 am

Obviously players like Sturridge and flanno who don't even make squads should be moved on. Pointless even discussing them tbh.

Mignolet. Karius is stepping up and will more than likely be no 1 next season.

Moreno.

Ings.

Klavan.

Moving into what I would class regulars in the side.

Lovren. Just as bad as Mignolet imo and should be moved on.

Lallana. Far to unreliable.

Milner.

We need another keeper so either we go for that Alisson lad or sign back up for Karius. We could also do with a LB, Back up again would do for Andy who has proved to be more than capable. Gomez could replace Klavan and possibly give Matip a run for it but I would prefer we went and signed a quality player to partner VVD.

We lost Phil and are losing Can so while we are bringing in Keita it won't be enough. We can afford to replace Milner and Lallana with someone like lemar or Jorginho.

Lastly a Striker. Salah has been phenomenal this season but no guarantee he will be next.(Ask Mane) Having a proper striker will only make us better.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:37 am

Lallana is suddenly looking like Studge Mk11. How the heck did his hamstring go, what was his warming up routine etc... I don't want to see him go but if he's crocked then time to move on. I'd hold on to Milner for another season as Mr Reliable.

Otherwise agree with your choices.

I'm sure the club has a list of who will be out this summer, next summer and the summer after, and that the scouts have already been briefed accordingly and looking for suitable prospects.

I don't think Alison will happen, its all been too public, I wouldn't be surprised if RM take him and leave De Gea up in the air!
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:05 am

OK so, in an ideal situation, this is what I'd do:

Release:
Can (only because he wants to)
Mignolet
Sturridge
Bogdan
Origi
Markovic
Flanagan
Lovren (optional)
Possibly a few others less known as well

We should be able to recoup some 50 million from these sales.

Sign:
Jorginho (primary target) or Doucoure (secondary)
Allison
De Vrij (only because he's available as free agent. If we can't sign this guy then I'd keep Lovren and not sign another CB, I'd rather we spent our money elsewhere.)

So, in total, our club will have to only spend around £50-70m (around £100m including money from player sales), which is normal for a top club in this day and age. The team would then look like this:

Allison

Clyne.         De Vrij.              Van Dijk.         Robertson

Jorginho

Wijnaldum*                Keita

Salah.                 Firmino.               Mane

*I put Wijnaldum there by default, but in reality the position will be open to all remaining CMs, they'll have to fight it out.

Anyway, that's a title winning side for me right there.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:20 am

I think we'd need more in MF mate to genuinely challenge City for the title, something like this -

Jorginho.      Keita

Lemar

Salah.               Firmino.            Mane/Pulisic 

We'd also need someone like Pulisic imo who could come into the front line without there being much (if any) drop off in quality. We've been lucky over the second half of the season with injuries but we can't always rely on luck.
Jorginho, Pulisic and Lemar would cost a few bob but if you add that £50m that you are talking about to the Coutinho money that's been promised to Jurgen we can afford it.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:43 am

Dream team there Yakka apart from so many competing egos... I hope we wouldn't change into a Chelsea....
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:07 pm

To be sold/released: Moreno, Markovic, Flanno, Can, Mignolet, Klavaan, Origi, Bogdan.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if some of these departed, Sturridge, Ward and Ings.

I can’t see all of them leaving as Klopp won’t want to be bringing in tonnes of new players it’s too much overhaul but we definitely need to get rid of some dead wood.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:00 pm

Think Milner has one year left on his contract and am sure he'll see it out before going to the USA or something.

We'll struggle to find a taker for Sturridge though. Might be best to loan him out, unless he's happy to be a bench warmer for his final year.
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:03 pm

This Topic sort of Answers it's own question, Self explanatory etc.

Those heading for the exit doors are those players that we moan about all of the time............Lovren, Moreno, Hendo, Migs. Sturridge. etc etc.

More interesting a topic would have been however, names of key players that we NEED to bring in. That's a far more important matter, finding the right players to fit the Jigsaw, so to speak. Jorghino, Lemar etc etc

:p
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion