Summer Transfer Window 2013 - Final verdict

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby parchpea » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:44 pm

Done alright overall but just a shame we couldn't bag a Mkhtiryan or Willian type which was clearly part
the summer plans but in end we settled to loan Moses as a stop gap.

Apart from that happy enough and pleased we where able to bolster the defence.

End of the day we wont know if its been a good summer until the next window really.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Redrider » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:59 pm

Why the feck are you sending Cissohko back ASAP
  - Injury prone, no point in paying him to be on the treatment table! The left hand side is now covered with Moses, and the two new defensive boy's.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC1990 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:06 pm

Before this one with us he only had one injury lay off whilst with Valencia and that was a 2 week injury.

I expect Sakho To be a starting CB so what happens if Enrique picks up a suspension or injury re jiggle our whole Back line?

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:19 pm

This made me laugh on twitter earlier today -

Arsenal confirm the fee for Mesut Ozil is £42.5m, including a trophy bonus add-on of £10m, bringing the overall fee to £42.5m.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:28 pm

Very much need to reserve judgement on this one.

Luis Alberto - Have seen absolutely nothing of him apart from 10 minutes against United where he looked a bit out of his depth... but I wouldn't hold that against him as it was his first league appearance I believe?

Sahko - Never even heard of him.

Ilori - Again, never heard of him.

Mignolet - Not convinced at all. Certainly not an improvement on Reina for me although he's had a good start. Hopefully he will turn out to be steady. I have seen worrying things with the ball at his feet though and some really indecisive moments.

Toure - Decent signing, not a great player though and certainly not the answer for me. Has however again made a great start, he's an improvement on Skyrtel though so I guess thats positive.

Aspas - Looked tidy and shown good touches, movement, link up and energy. Don't think he's going to win us a league but certainly not disappointed so far.

Moses - Will add a bit of depth I guess. Not a great player but has good points. An improvement on Sterling.

All in I'm not sure where I stand just yet. I must admit I was hoping for better quality. The fact there are four players on the list I hadn't heard of didn't fill me with confidence.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:32 pm

7.5 out of 10.

still worry if sturridge gets an injury though (which is likely) as we don't have a replacement who can get in behind and stretch teams.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Santa » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:46 pm

Redrider » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:58 pm wrote:Players in:                                          Verdict
Luis Alberto - £6,800,000                    Poor will not succeed.
Iago Aspas - £7,000,000                      Unlikely to more than a bench warmer
Kolo Toure - Free                               Great business, looks like the steal of the window.
Simon Mignolet - £10,000,000             Well woth the money, vast improvement on Reina.
Tiago Ilori - £7,000,000                      Looks like a good prospect.

Mamadou Sakho - £14,000,000            Good pedigree, should be a useful addiotion.
Aly Cissokho - Loan                            Send him back asap.
Victor Moses - Loan                            Destined to Bench warmer, possible impact player sub.

Players Out:
Andy Carroll - £15,500,000                 Sorry to see the lad go without being given a chance, but looks injury prone.
Jamie Carragher – Retired                  Great Judgement, retired with the crowd calling for more. Should be on the coaching staff.
Jonjo Shelvey - £5,000,000                Had a go but will not be missed.
Stewart Downing - £6,000,000            Always destined to fail.
Jay Spearing - £1,750,000                  God loves a trier.
Dani Pacheco – Free                           Bit of a nearly man.
Fabio Borini - Loan                             Frees up some space in the car park, hope he never returns.
Assaidi - loan                                      Who is he ?

I'm suffering from Transfer Window Withdrawal Syndrome...and your post above provided me with some comic relief  :D

I'm not sure how much actual play time have you watch these lads played, but you are obviously much better talent spotter than any of our scouts are able to do. At this rate, we don't need a network of scouts across the globe...just a couple of guys glued to YouTube & Tweeter will suffice  :no
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:49 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:19 pm wrote:This made me laugh on twitter earlier today -

Arsenal confirm the fee for Mesut Ozil is £42.5m, including a trophy bonus add-on of £10m, bringing the overall fee to £42.5m.

So Real are screwed then  :laugh:

I seriously hoped that Ozil's wages are not tied to the Gunners winning trophies then...he might need to sell a few Big Issue to support his lifestyle
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:03 pm

At this rate, we don't need a network of scouts across the globe

Glad to oblige, jusdt send me a fee.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby Hustler 2 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:28 pm

Redman in wales » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:08 am wrote:So how did our summer transfer window shape up then?

Players in:
Luis Alberto - £6,800,000
Iago Aspas - £7,000,000
Kolo Toure - Free
Simon Mignolet - £10,000,000
Tiago Ilori - £7,000,000
Mamadou Sakho - £14,000,000
Aly Cissokho - Loan
Victor Moses - Loan

I didn't and still don't rate most of them. Mignolet (although we didn't even need a new keeper), has done well so far.
We've bought too many defenders, and the rest like Moses, Toure and Alberto are fringe players, who could not get in the teams they were previously at.
Arsenal spend 42m on Ozil, but we haven't signed any "big" names at all.
If the squad we have get us in top four, then I will be astounded. remember we haven't looked convincing in any of our wins, and you can only ride your luck for so long.
We've only played three games, so lets see how far that lot can take us.
Get down and Boogie !!!!
Hustler 2
LFC Advanced Member

Postby tadhger09 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:22 pm

The transfer was ok I guess, some of our business wasn't exactly inspiring but the new keeper , Kolo and Sakho could be key players for us this season. Ill back those 3 to succeed at the club over the coming seasons.

Aspas has shown some quality during pre-season with an eye for goal, but since the Villa game he has struggled a bit with the pace and physicality on the league. I really hope he settles in quick as we are a little short on numbers up front.

Where as Alberto and Ilori will be two for the long term project, I also hope that Brendan can bring them on as players and develop them into first team regulars in a couple of seasons.

The 2 players who came in on loan will help strengthen the depth of the squad.

marks out of ten: 7
tadhger09
LFC Basic Member

Postby Redrider » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:04 am

Rodgers, meanwhile, has maintained that Fabio Borini has a future at Anfield despite allowing the Italian forward to join Sunderland on a season-long loan. Borini was Rodgers' first signing as Liverpool manager, in a £10.5m deal from Roma, but struggled for form and with injuries last season.

The Liverpool manager explained: "He had a stop-start season last year with his injuries and I just felt this year he needed to go and play football. With Daniel Sturridge, Luis Suárez, Iago Aspas and some of the other attacking players, that might have been limited.

"I have a real belief in Fabio – he is a talent and we've seen that on occasions, but he needs to be playing regularly to demonstrate that talent. We had a host of clubs wanting to take him, but with Sunderland having the Italian connection there and being a big club where he can go and play, I'm sure he'll get the chance to shine and we'll look closely at his development this year."

Yawn!!  :sleepy:
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:27 am

Redrider » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:04 am wrote:
Rodgers, meanwhile, has maintained that Fabio Borini has a future at Anfield despite allowing the Italian forward to join Sunderland on a season-long loan. Borini was Rodgers' first signing as Liverpool manager, in a £10.5m deal from Roma, but struggled for form and with injuries last season.

The Liverpool manager explained: "He had a stop-start season last year with his injuries and I just felt this year he needed to go and play football. With Daniel Sturridge, Luis Suárez, Iago Aspas and some of the other attacking players, that might have been limited.

"I have a real belief in Fabio – he is a talent and we've seen that on occasions, but he needs to be playing regularly to demonstrate that talent. We had a host of clubs wanting to take him, but with Sunderland having the Italian connection there and being a big club where he can go and play, I'm sure he'll get the chance to shine and we'll look closely at his development this year."

Yawn!!  :sleepy:

He looked decent for Italy at the U21 tournament, but clearly something isn't clicking here. Maybe it's his inability to adapt to our style or just that the PL is too much for him. If it is the latter then he will also be found out at Sunderland. We'll soon see.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:41 am

Time will tell, but so far everything looks rosey. I must confess, in recent years I find it hard to name the entire England squad and most of our signings I was only vaguely aware of as players. To say Cissohko is a marquee signing is optimistic. But BR has already showed that its attitudes and not names that matter.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:27 am

RedAnt » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:41 am wrote:Time will tell, but so far everything looks rosey. I must confess, in recent years I find it hard to name the entire England squad and most of our signings I was only vaguely aware of as players. To say Cissohko is a marquee signing is optimistic. But BR has already showed that its attitudes and not names that matter.

Back to the old debate it is then...

A Team of Lucas's or a team of Suarez...

I know which one I'd rather see.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion