Squad fix up

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby redshade » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:27 pm

What do we needs guys?

What are the problem areas that need fixing?

In order to compete for glory and maintain high standards we need obvious changes.

Defense for me is a major problem.
Apart from Matip i would go as far as sayin we need 3 new players.
Matip is the only formidable defender.
Clyne is ok but i feel we need fullback who can bombard the flanks as well as defend.

A sold defensive mid is another. Alonso/Macherano type or even half of them.
Pacey creative wide man like Mane.

Upfront we need a Bull and proper forward who is hard working and lethal.

We know how Klopp works and how he always wants high intensity so adding to those addition we need good squad players aswel.

If we are to qualify for champs league it will only add on to many more important games to play.

We need quality cover throughout.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:37 pm

Top quality goalie
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:00 pm

Keeper - Mignolet has done well this season to be fair to him. No dramas etc but suppose he will whether unfairly/fairly still have doubts hanging over him from his past performances. Karius has had a shaky start but got to give him more time. I think if a solid upgrade is available on Mignolet, we have to be go for it and maybe give Karius time to sort out weaknesses in his game as backup.

Left Back - Overall Milner has been great at LB but sometimes do think he gets caught out in his positioning (not his fault as he isnt really a LB) so we need someone who can bomb up and down that left hind side and do a good job defensively and offensively

Cover for Clyne - This is a questionable. If TAA progresses well, I'd rather want him as understudy to Clyne than bring someone in. It's about time we bring in some home grown lads. We have always had them in the team and currently there is no one.

Central Midfielder - All round midfielder, with athleticism, good passer of the ball and ability to get his foot in. Just a quality all round mifielder who can dominate things in there.

Alternative to Mane - We lose him and suddenly we lose pace in attack and the ability to open things up and create space so need an alternative. Maybe a younger option with a lot of promise who is happy to be backup and bide his time

A 20 goal a season striker - Sturridge is a 20 goal a season striker but quite obvious Klopp don't rate his all round game so we need to get someone else in. Might be wrong but gut feeling is Origi will turn out to be more of a 13-15 goals a season man
Doeboy

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:23 pm

Milner has been one of our most consistent players all season. In fact, he's probably one of the best left backs in the league at the moment. No need to change anything there.

What do we need then?  For me a new centre back. Lovern isn't good enough. He's improved, but we need someone better to build a partnership with Matip. We also need a centre midfielder who can control games. Cover for Mane and a great striker. Sturridge won't be here in the summer and I suspect we'll bring in a replacement.

If we could do all of that in the next week then we'll be sorted  :D
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:01 am

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/how-much-liverpool-could-spend-12820230?service=responsive

Looking at Klopp's previous purchases shows that he has a good eye. No stellar LB or GK though
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:34 am

First things first is a striker  :nod That is the first position that needs to be addressed because we have nowt but shyte.
A left back. Milner is limited there and won't improve while Moreno does not constitute as a new signing.
A centre half. Matip is ok and lovren isn't the worst beside him but I would still relegate him to the bench as his injury record is ridiculous.
A winger. Someone who is a proper wide player so we can stop shoving CM's out there.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Pig Catcher » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:26 pm

I think we’ll see a similar sort of transfer window to last summer in terms of numbers and how many are bought in to genuinely compete for a first team spot. Priorities are probably a left back (maybe two if we assume that Moreno moves on), striker, central midfielder, wide forward and a centre back.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:29 pm

We need:

GK
LB (Cover for Milner as he'll never manage 60+ games next season)
CB (Must be a step up over Lovern)
DM
Winger
Striker x2

I'd ship out Migs, Morno, Sakho, Can (if he doesn't sign a new deal)  Origi and Sturridge.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:41 pm

1 x GK

1 x LB
2 x CB

2 x DMF

2 x CF

8 players isnt that much when you consider we've literally done nothing in the last 2 windows and thats just for starters without any outgoings.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:46 pm

I'd argue that as we are the top scorers in the division then sorting out the other end of the pitch is more of a priority. Conceding 50 goals 4 seasons on the bounce is actually embarrassing and this Fred Karno's carry on at the back has dragged on far too long, we need to sort our backline out once and for all this summer.
Remember great teams are built on great defences!

1 x GK
1 x CB
1 x LB
1 x DM

if there is any dough left over then try and swipe Adama Traore from under Chelsea's nose, he'd be frightening in a Klopp team.
Oh, and it goes without saying that if Phil leaves we need to replace him with Mahrez.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Doeboy » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:47 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:46 pm wrote:I'd argue that as we are the top scorers in the division then sorting out the other end of the pitch is more of a priority. Conceding 50 goals 4 seasons on the bounce is actually embarrassing and this Fred Karno's carry on at the back has dragged on far too long, we need to sort our backline out once and for all this summer.
Remember great teams are built on great defences!

1 x GK
1 x CB
1 x LB
1 x DM

if there is any dough left over then try and swipe Adama Traore from under Chelsea's nose, he'd be frightening in a Klopp team.
Oh, and it goes without saying that if Phil leaves we need to replace him with Mahrez.

Spot on mate. Defence is absolutely key. I love our attacking play but we have conceded a ridiculous amount of goals over the last few seasons and to challenege for leagues you dont go around shipping 50 ofd goals a season.

To fix the issue, maybe its a combination of bringing in players and work on the training pitch but it has to change otherwise we will continue to be the team that gets the plaudits for our attacking play but has zilch to show for it at the end.
Doeboy

Postby aCe' » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:20 pm

GK
Mignolet isnt a bad keeper. Can we do better? I think we can, and probably should.

No CBs needed (unless Van Dijk is available)
Except for Van Dijk, I dont think theres a CB out there we can sign who would be better than Lovren or Matip. For me, both Lovren and Matip are among the best 10 CBs in the league. Our problems at the back are more to do with the system and changing that would mean sacrificing a bit down the other end. I dont think it is worth it.

Two Fullback, but not the end of the world if none come in
I'm not a big fan of Clyne and Milner. Both are limited going forward but decent at the back. Milner slows down the play down the left and Clyn's end product is pathetic. If we had Van Aanholt and Coleman down the flanks we'd probably be higher in the league table given our style of play. The games we drop points -where we shouldnt- are mostly against smaller sides that park the bus and play narrow at the back. Our fullbacks are usually the only players with a bit of space to create something.The problem is that we need fullbacks who are better going forward than defending in the current system and I'm not sure we have that.

DMs, CMs;
Lallana is fantastic. Wijnaldum is very good. Henderson is decent. Can is a very good backup for Henderson. Lucas, Grugic, etc. are all not good enough. If we had a world class player in Henderson's place, we'd arguably have the best 5 man midfield in the league. I hate to single Hendo out because he hasnt done much wrong but it's the position in the side that looks most vulnerable on paper. We need better backup players, preferably direct replacements for Wij and Lallana with similar skillsets.

Forwards: Firmino replacement
Coutinho and Mane are booth good enough to play anywhere. Firmino is a forward who isnt clinical and nowhere near as good as the forwards the other top4 boast. If we have 100mill to spend in the summer, I'd put the lion share of that on a top striker. We need backup players who are good enough and in Sturridge/Origi we have 2 decent forward options. Out wide, I'd also  go for Adama Traore as a Mane backup. Firmino can be Coutinho's backup.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Eagle » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:01 pm

In Feb/March Klopp said about the summer window, "We are working on it already -- we might need between two and six players." - http://www.espnfc.co.uk/story/3074191/l ... rgen-klopp

Working on the basis that Moreno, Lucus and Sturridge leave, and none of the players out on loan come into the first team squad, my best guess is:

GK: Karius, Mignolet, Manninger
CB: Matip, Lovren, Klavan, Gomez, ???
RB: Clyne, Trent
LB: ???, ???
CM: Henderson, Can, Lallana, Milner, Wijnaldum, Grujić, ???
WF:  Mane, Coutinho, Woodburn, ???
ST:  Firmino, Origi, Ings, ???
Eagle

Postby aCe' » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:07 am

I'd get rid of Klavan, Lucas, Markovic, and Ings. Send Sturridge, TAA, Woodburn and Grugic on loan. Bring back Sakho and a 4th choice CB, sign 2 starting attacking fullbacks, a CM to play Henderson's role, a striker to start ahead of Firmino, a wide player who is direct.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:48 am

I agree with that Ace but I'd keep Ings and sell Studge rather than send him on loan
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion