SIMON MIGNOLET- Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kazza » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:07 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:40 am wrote:Looks like we aren't in the market for a new keeper this summer, Mingy must have done enough to convince Jurgen that he doesn't need one.
To be fair he has been outstanding these last few weeks, he's even looked rock solid under his old nemesis the high ball, where he used to be very timid coming out for crosses now he uses his considerable physique to bounce players out of the way and get a good fist on the ball.
Hopefully the penny has finally dropped and he now realises that although he is a keeper he still has to be aggressive in his play, opposition CF's and CB's are looking to clatter him at set pieces so he can't afford to be passive.

You're right! Problem is how many times have we said this before? He still looks shakey to me and it seems like just a matter of time before he makes a critical mistake that turns a game. I still think we need a world class keeper and he isn't.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:48 pm

If Mignolet stops making silly decisions he could become a very commanding keeper. As the shot stopper he is great some of the saves he pulls out are awesome. If only the rest of his game was the same.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kharhaz » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:15 am

Out of interest, who can name a keeper worse than Mignolet?
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:58 am

Kharhaz » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:15 am wrote:Out of interest, who can name a keeper worse than Mignolet?

Here are 2.. Loris Karius & Adam Bogdan  :eyebrow
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:00 pm

Kharhaz » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:15 am wrote:Out of interest, who can name a keeper worse than Mignolet?

He isn't a bad keeper he is just not good enough...I don't think their are better stoppers then him in the EPL when it comes to penalties and 1on1 situations but on the other aspects of the game he is just beneath average...
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:10 pm

Migs is really poor isn't he. Nearly cost us three points on Saturday with his fresh air shot to concede the penalty, and at fault for both goals, although I thought the defence played OK. Please play ward Jurgen from now on.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:06 pm

Klopp should just stick with Mignolet rather than rotating. I know Karius needs game time but currently his a liability. Ward should be ahead of Karius in the pecking order.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:10 am

Mignolet is not a great goalie, but hes not a sh'it one either. His strengths are his shot stopping and penalty saving. His weaknesses are his distribution and lack of confidence in the box. There are possiby keepers better than him in the prem: De Gea and Courtois, and maybe Schmeichel? But each of these goalies have made and will make howlers throughout the season.
:eyebrow
Thommo's perm

Postby Big Niall » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:24 am

Terrible keeper. Out clown manager gave him a new contract and the signed an even worse keeper "for competition "

Both goalies should be sold in January.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:47 am

A good thing we have the best shot stopper in the league or we would really struggle  :glare:
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:02 am

How many years has he been here???

If we don't buy a keeper in Jan at least we should try to get one on loan for the rest of the season.

I can't wait for the day when  players like Mignolet, Lovren etc are not on the team sheet.

What i find odd is that Mignolet is probably the most intelligent player we have yet why is it that he doesn't understand common sense or simple decisions.  I think he made a wrong choice in career and should have stuck to politics.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:04 pm

I'd just play Karius for the rest of the season.
Mignolet is making repeated mistakes.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:25 pm

Ive posted before about Mignolet's habit of going to ground to early ....well here's the proof ,why he just doesn't just make himself big until he has to dive vexes the f*ck out of me.

RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:55 pm

Simon comes across as a nice enough fella but like Lovren he just makes too many mistakes over the course of a season. Having a decent defence would transform us as a team.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby parchpea » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:03 pm

Since the club binned Reina purely on a wage issue and took Mignolet for a 1/4 of the pay its been obvious the powers that be do
not see value, or more to the point significant sell on potential (moneyball) in goalkeepers.

Klopp wanted Timo Horn not Karius but he rejected the move so we opted for the moneyball option, a young guy for a low fee and
potential to increase in market value.

Unfortunately Karius has not been a success and if the intent was to push Mignolet to raise his game its failed, we now have two
bang average keepers at our disposal.

I would like to think we will spend what is required to get a brilliant keeper in, Oblak is the best potentially available but I cant
see him coming here unless the wage package is too good to refuse.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion