Season review - how did we do?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun May 21, 2017 5:13 pm

It's over...we've finished in the top 4 and (all going well in the qualifier) we'll be in next season Champions League. But how do you lot rate our season?  ???

To kick things off, I'm going to say I'm on the happy side of satisfied. We've played some good football and finished in the top 4, which is a huge improvement over last season. We also showed some glimpses that we can go toe-to-toe with the best in the league, beating or drawing with pretty much everyone in the top 6 of the league.

On the downside, our paper thin squad has hurt us this season with injuries and we're perhaps more than a little fortunate to get CL footie. Our defense is also as leaky as a Dutch dam and we desperately need investment in PROVEN quality.

Season review - 7/10
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tonyeh » Sun May 21, 2017 5:51 pm

I'm...ok...with it. But just ok. It hasn't been a great season though. Too many games lost/drawn against sides that should have been beaten. Some strange losses against the likes of Bournemouth, Swansea and Crystal Palace had me scratching my head. Lack of concentration at times and some nervous football, as well, resulting in too many draws when a game should have been killed.

Although that's contrasted with some good wins, too, against the top flight. Liverpool were one of the few teams to put a little dent in Chelsea's ridiculous run.

Klopp is still the right man for Liverpool in mind and I love having him as manager. A few players here and there during the Summer needed though.

Overall though, probably a 6 or 7/10. Not bad, great to have scraped in the CL, but must do better.
tonyeh

Postby parchpea » Sun May 21, 2017 6:05 pm

We did better than I expected in the League but disappointed we didnt try harder in the cups, maybe thats connected and getting top 4 is because we sacrificed everything else.

I do think Klopp made mistakes not buying more players but we got away with it without European football but only just, next season we have to plan for worst case scenario, not just bung money at anything but respect the demands. Klopp didnt do that this campaign in my opinion but we just about got it done.

Given we dont often get top 4 this season is a success and we must be perfect in the market, grasp the opportunity and build a much better team whilst the lure of Champions League is on the table, pay the wages and get class players under contract.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby kartiek » Sun May 21, 2017 6:16 pm

Considering the lack of depth in our squad, injuries to Lallana, Henderson, Coutinho, Mane for long stretches of the season, it's been a fantastic effort to get 76 points.
kartiek

Postby redshade » Sun May 21, 2017 6:44 pm

Satisfied with this season, we achieved our goal.
Could have done better in the cups but happy with finishing 4th.
We've played some breathtaking footy at times.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Klopptomaniac » Sun May 21, 2017 6:52 pm

7/10 for me

We've had a few positives - being top of the 'top 6 league' shows we can compete with the best. We've played some class football at times.

I don't really buy into the 'struggle against lesser teams' line that needs to be lazily tagged with us by almost everyone. I think our form in those games coincides with our injuries piling up. Each of our front 4 missing 25% of the season each certainly contributes to that record. I'm confident that if we had our front 4 fit all season we'd be a lot closer to Chelsea and Spurs than where we've finished. I put our struggles down to the (lack of) depth in the squad than a mental weakness against lesser sides.

All in all we've finished in the CL places which is what we needed if we wanted to kick on. With astute recruitment going into next season we should have a squad that can right on those 2 fronts.

We can enjoy the summer now
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 21, 2017 7:19 pm

Klopptomaniac » Sun May 21, 2017 5:52 pm wrote:7/10 for me

We've had a few positives - being top of the 'top 6 league' shows we can compete with the best. We've played some class football at times.

I don't really buy into the 'struggle against lesser teams' line that needs to be lazily tagged with us by almost everyone. I think our form in those games coincides with our injuries piling up. Each of our front 4 missing 25% of the season each certainly contributes to that record. I'm confident that if we had our front 4 fit all season we'd be a lot closer to Chelsea and Spurs than where we've finished. I put our struggles down to the (lack of) depth in the squad than a mental weakness against lesser sides.

All in all we've finished in the CL places which is what we needed if we wanted to kick on. With astute recruitment going into next season we should have a squad that can right on those 2 fronts.

We can enjoy the summer now

Yeah to be fair our best XI was a handful for anyone and most of our defeats came about when we had to rotate our squad for some reason (it's easy to forget now but both Matip and Coutinho were missing for that capitulation at Bournemouth).
Considering the lack of depth to our squad and the amount of injuries we had to key players we have done extremely well to finish in the top 4.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun May 21, 2017 7:55 pm

We played some truly remarkable football, lost some key players at vital times and at a time when we had not added in the window we were beset with injuries, we seen the emergence of the best three-pronged attack in the league, celebrated performances and goals straight from the top draw, witnessed some crushing lows, yet we still managed to finish higher than teams that at the start of the season were  thought to be two of the strongest contenders for the league title.

Klopp's remit was to qualify for the Champions League so in that respect he delivered, although the fans 'myself included' would have liked a trip to Wembley, but maybe that's just a quibble from a Kopite who loves the odd trip to the smoke.

8/10
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Sun May 21, 2017 8:15 pm

Atleast we never conceded 50 goals this season :D.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun May 21, 2017 10:27 pm

Sometimes sublime, sometimes sh'ite. With the squad we had I knew we would struggle, especially with the injuries, lack of leadership and sometimes strange team choices.
We got there in the end though and thats a fantastic achievement!
:buttrock
Thommo's perm

Postby redshade » Sun May 21, 2017 10:50 pm

Player of the season - Mane
Signing of the season- Mane/Matip
Goal of the season- Can vs Watford
Most improved player- Lallana
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby laza » Mon May 22, 2017 1:38 am

Stoked with the CL qualification and overall a good campaign.
Though considering we had no European commitments was hoping for a stronger better league and domestic cup challenge.

While its only player and is the same for other teams.
Also cant help but think how things would have gone for us if the African Cup hadn't been played this season
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 22, 2017 9:48 am

laza » Mon May 22, 2017 12:38 am wrote:Stoked with the CL qualification and overall a good campaign.
Though considering we had no European commitments was hoping for a stronger better league and domestic cup challenge.

While its only player and is the same for other teams.
Also cant help but think how things would have gone for us if the African Cup hadn't been played this season

Injuries etc definitely hit us hard, first Coutinho got injured when he was flying, Matip too was playing really well when he got injured/suspended by Cameroon, then as you say Mane went to the ACN, then Lallana got injured on England duty when he was in the form of his life and as for Hendo he has struggled with injury for about 2 years now.
That's without mentioning the likes of Sturridge and Ing's!
For half the season our bench looked like an U23 line up. All things considered we did extremely well to get 4th given the injuries we had to key players and the lack of depth in our squad.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Mon May 22, 2017 2:12 pm

Didn't think we would make top 4 this season but in the end we just about had enough to do it. Considering the squad we started out with and the decision to not sign anyone in January it is a good achievement.
It would have been nice to win a cup but with the squad we had it was always an uphill task to try and compete in 3 competitions.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Eagle » Mon May 22, 2017 10:40 pm

At the start of the season I would have said top 4 was par, what with no Europe. But considering the injuries we had and the fact that we were one of five teams who finished with 75+ points, I think Klopp has done better than par. Compared to last season we've won more games, collected more points, scored more goals and conceded fewer goals. Whichever way you look at it we have progressed in the league. It's more of a challenge next season with the addition of European football but I'm very happy we have Klopp in charge.
Eagle

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion