ROBERTO FIRMINO - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby aCe' » Sat May 13, 2017 10:14 am

Hopefully he'll be a bench player next season. I dont really see him bringing any value playing in a wide position and he is no where near good enough to lead the line for us for an entire season. A lallana style modification in position might be needed to get the best out of him in a starting role but I'd much rather just have him as a bench option.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat May 13, 2017 12:29 pm

I think some are being a tad unfair on the guy.He's got us out of the sh!te on a few occasions with his goals and he's a very good player. He just needs quality around him to excel. And by that, I mean Coutinho, Lallana and Mane.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Sat May 13, 2017 1:28 pm

He is not a striker. Yes, he presses well from the front but that doesn't make you a striker. Personally, would prefer him floating behind a main striker and getting beyond from a deeper position. Think he would do much better there
Doeboy

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat May 13, 2017 2:34 pm

7_Kewell » Sat May 13, 2017 11:29 am wrote:I think some are being a tad unfair on the guy.He's got us out of the sh!te on a few occasions with his goals and he's a very good player. He just needs quality around him to excel. And by that, I mean Coutinho, Lallana and Mane.

I agree, we were right at the top of the scoring charts until Mane got injured. The link up between Coutinho, Firmino, Mane and Lallana has been one of the major positive's of this season and if we get CL footy it will be largely down to them.
All we need is a bit more depth so the wheels don't fall off.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat May 13, 2017 3:26 pm

Doeboy » Sat May 13, 2017 12:28 pm wrote:He is not a striker. Yes, he presses well from the front but that doesn't make you a striker. Personally, would prefer him floating behind a main striker and getting beyond from a deeper position. Think he would do much better there

Firmino would be brilliant playing behind a world class striker. Imagine him with Suarez, for example.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sat May 13, 2017 4:29 pm

Fans of stats will tell you he has great numbers but I just cant take to him really, hes just not dynamic enough for me, lacks speed and aggression.

Hes a decent player and importantly for us can play anywhere along the front but he rarely wins a game on his own and more leading lights dont appear to be queuing up to sign him.

For example would he play a part at Champions Chelsea? Maybe from the bench.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Sun May 14, 2017 8:58 am

I agree he's done okay this season but I wouldn't necessarily call him a very good player by any stretch. Mane, Coutinho & Lallana are all better players and are much more important to the side than Firmino is. Mane in particular, who we dont seem to be able to play without.

I've said it before, a fit and slightly in form Sturridge (or Aguero, Jesus, Kane, Son, Costa, Ibra, Rashford, Giroud, Sanchez, etc.) would have seen us challenging for the title rather than scrambling for 4th. Firmino isnt prolific, he doesnt influence our attacking game enough, and his movement in the box is lacking more often than not.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon May 15, 2017 11:12 pm

Firmino is the most technically gifted player we have in the team and when he plays with Mane and Coutz the threat we carry in our attack is ridiculous, he's scored some sublime goals and he's scored some simply crucial goals and he defends from the front like his proverbial life depends on it.

All in all, he's a Kop favourite and a Klopp favourite and he fits perfectly the pressing style the manager likes to play. I have no idea why the importance of his inclusion in this team is less visible to some posters  ???
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Tue May 16, 2017 6:30 am

RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon May 15, 2017 10:12 pm wrote:Firmino is the most technically gifted player we have in the team and when he plays with Mane and Coutz the threat we carry in our attack is ridiculous, he's scored some sublime goals and he's scored some simply crucial goals and he defends from the front like his proverbial life depends on it.

All in all, he's a Kop favourite and a Klopp favourite and he fits perfectly the pressing style the manager likes to play. I have no idea why the importance of his inclusion in this team is less visible to some posters  ???

He is our highest ranked player when it comes to " power ranking" (5/6 in the league so far) and he and Mane have the most productive partnership (goals/assists) in the league so clearly he does more than what some posters are giving credit for.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue May 16, 2017 10:44 am

RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon May 15, 2017 10:12 pm wrote:Firmino is the most technically gifted player we have in the team and when he plays with Mane and Coutz the threat we carry in our attack is ridiculous, he's scored some sublime goals and he's scored some simply crucial goals and he defends from the front like his proverbial life depends on it.

Maybe because hes scored 12 goals this season playing upfront for a team who creates the most chances in the league? how that can be considered good enough is beyond me
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue May 16, 2017 11:59 am

Fowler_E7 » Tue May 16, 2017 9:44 am wrote:

Maybe because he's scored 12 goals this season playing up front for a team who creates the most chances in the league? how that can be considered good enough is beyond me

It seems you've omitted to add a description to Firmino's role, that being an attacking midfielder being deployed as a makeshift striker. I think what posters are conveniantly forgetting when they're laying into his contribution this season is just how well he's done adapting to the false no.9 position thrust upon him in sick notes absence. 

I mean he has one less goal than Mane this season and the same as Coutz, which means the goals are being shared around. So in the absence of a prolific striker, I really don't know why some people are disappointed  ???
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue May 16, 2017 12:25 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue May 16, 2017 10:59 am wrote:
Fowler_E7 » Tue May 16, 2017 9:44 am wrote:

Maybe because he's scored 12 goals this season playing up front for a team who creates the most chances in the league? how that can be considered good enough is beyond me

It seems you've omitted to add a description to Firmino's role, that being an attacking midfielder being deployed as a makeshift striker. I think what posters are conveniantly forgetting when they're laying into his contribution this season is just how well he's done adapting to the false no.9 position thrust upon him in sick notes absence. 

I mean he has one less goal than Mane this season and the same as Coutz, which means the goals are being shared around. So in the absence of a prolific striker, I really don't know why some people are disappointed  ???

how has the false 9 position been thrust upon him? its clearly his best position, when he plays wide hes very average and all his best performances have been when hes played as the furthest man forward, so I don't buy that hes playing out of position and doing a job for the team, hes playing where he best suited to play he just isnt a productive goal scorer. Yes his work rate is excellent and there are times when he links excellently with Couthino and Mane but he does not score enough goals to warrant playing up front, as I said before he would never get in any of our rivals teams.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue May 16, 2017 2:22 pm

Fowler_E7 » Tue May 16, 2017 11:25 am wrote:
how has the false 9 position been thrust upon him? its clearly his best position, when he plays wide hes very average and all his best performances have been when hes played as the furthest man forward, so I don't buy that he's playing out of position and doing a job for the team, hes playing where he best suited to play he just isnt a productive goal scorer. Yes his work rate is excellent and there are times when he links excellently with Couthino and Mane but he does not score enough goals to warrant playing up front, as I said before he would never get in any of our rivals teams.

Firmino's position is that of an attacking midfielder so it's to his credit he can play a myriad of different roles.Its 75 goals we've scored this season and Firmino Mane Coutinho and lallana have the most assists, so obviously short of an out and out frontman we're doing something right. I mean if Firmino was more selfish in front of goal 'or for that matter any of our triumvirate' then the goals for column could be significantly less. In truth, those three players would frighten the life out of any defence in Europe let alone the Premiership and as for not being good enough to play for our rivals I think that's frankly ***** lad, I believe any team in the top three would snap our hands off if a player of his undoubted technical ability became available.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue May 16, 2017 3:45 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue May 16, 2017 1:22 pm wrote:
Fowler_E7 » Tue May 16, 2017 11:25 am wrote:
how has the false 9 position been thrust upon him? its clearly his best position, when he plays wide hes very average and all his best performances have been when hes played as the furthest man forward, so I don't buy that he's playing out of position and doing a job for the team, hes playing where he best suited to play he just isnt a productive goal scorer. Yes his work rate is excellent and there are times when he links excellently with Couthino and Mane but he does not score enough goals to warrant playing up front, as I said before he would never get in any of our rivals teams.

Firmino's position is that of an attacking midfielder so it's to his credit he can play a myriad of different roles.Its 75 goals we've scored this season and Firmino Mane Coutinho and lallana have the most assists, so obviously short of an out and out frontman we're doing something right. I mean if Firmino was more selfish in front of goal 'or for that matter any of our triumvirate' then the goals for column could be significantly less. In truth, those three players would frighten the life out of any defence in Europe let alone the Premiership and as for not being good enough to play for our rivals I think that's frankly ***** lad, I believe any team in the top three would snap our hands off if a player of his undoubted technical ability became available.

Any team in the top 3 would bit our hands off for him? Would Chelsea swap him for Costa, Pedro or Hazard? absolutely no chance. Could he get in at Spurs ahead of Kane or Ali? I highly doubt it and would Man City pick him ahead of Aguero or Gabriel Jesus? not a chance

Firmino is no doubt a decent/good player who on his day can be excellent, especially in the games against the top sides were his excellent pressing work is a real asset but as we've seen countless times against the lesser lights of the division he really struggles to provide anything vs a packed defense, his passing is often sloppy and he disappears from games. I think he would be a good quality squad man but id be very disappointed if we start next season with him leading the attack.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Tue May 16, 2017 4:14 pm

Firmino is good enough for now but most fans realise we must go beyond the likes of him in quality terms to consistently challenge for a title and be a key player in the Champions League.

I suppose that could be considered beyond us but you have to look at the benchmarks if your a serious club and surely we are still trying to be that at the highest level.

Firmino definitely has progression in him though so no reason why we shouldn't expect improvement on his good work this season and certainly the club should be demanding that from everyone.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion