Reinas judgement season - One season wonder

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:23 pm

And to think that at the start of the season some people wanted Reina dropped and Carson brought back. ???

I'd still prefer Reina over Carson any day of the week. He has more attributes such as his distribution and I believe he comes off his line quicker and to greater effect.

When I've seen Carson this season for Charlton, he hasn't really dominated his box or come for a lot of crosses etc.  And I have seen him make some mistakes for them as well, but all keepers will make mistakes - they don't always get punished for them though.  He looks like an excellent shot stopper though, and I'm glad he's having a season's worth of experience at Charlton in the top flight.  That should help his development in the future.  And he's still young of course.  He's younger than Reina isn't he?

But right now I'd still prefer Reina. Easily one of the most reliable keepers in the Premiership.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby metalhead » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:22 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
I have never seen another keeper better than reina in ball distribution

Mate ... You have just used the past tense. (NEVER) I have Never, so that to me says your talking about past and present.

So in actual fact I have .......... Peter Schmiecal :D

mate my first language isn't english, sometimes i do mistakes in the past and present tense, i have this problem.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:10 pm

Glad to see my thread bumped, always good to see some great contributions from the forum and not have it decend into a slanging match. hehe :D

But anyway, Reina has played really well, his clean sheets say it all, he did make mistakes at the begining of the season but looks like he was strong enough to put them behiend him which shows his mental toughness.

Great keeper, bet Barca are regretting letting him go now :p :p
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBlood » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:53 pm

reina is one of the best in the game and very young, for a keeper anyway, made 1 or 2 mistakes early on this seaon but showed alot of character to get over them.
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby crazyhorse » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:11 am

No keeper of any class will go a whole season without making the odd mistake, and Reina is no exception. He is still young for a keeper and will not be at his peak for a good while yet; on the evidence so far what he is doing now is good -but he could be a true great.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:28 am

metalhead wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:
I have never seen another keeper better than reina in ball distribution

Mate ... You have just used the past tense. (NEVER) I have Never, so that to me says your talking about past and present.

So in actual fact I have .......... Peter Schmiecal :D

mate my first language isn't english, sometimes i do mistakes in the past and present tense, i have this problem.

Thats fine, English is my first language and I still have problems with it like speling  :D  But I just replied to what you initially said. No harm done.

Your English is a 1000 times better than my Lebanese.
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby redmikey » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:53 pm

pepe came through his rocky patch well imo

and this should show all the knee jerk fans to be patient and give good players a chance to get back on track

pepe,carra,xabi,sg all had a slow start to the season and rafa will have to combat having so many players off the pace when the starting gates open next year
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby Red @ Heart » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:39 pm

For all of dudeks mistakes and slip ups dont you think he deserves some good recognition for his loyalties? for such a great keeper as dudek most im sure would have tried to find a club which would grant regular 1st team football, Dudek for me has been a great if not legendary for liverpool football club and he did himself justice for what happened in may 2005 in a city called instanbul, but as for Reina he will be our number keeper for years to come, he can only get better than what he is already,
"GERAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD what a goal"
Red @ Heart
LFC Super Member

Postby grayghost » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:13 pm

yeah class act hope he keeps it up at liverpool and since it said today that he is commiting his future it looks like he will be
grayghost

Postby metalhead » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:06 pm

Bamaga man wrote:Your English is a 1000 times better than my Lebanese.
[/quote]
puh-leese its called arabic  :D

Cheers
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:30 pm

in just the last few weeks, he was poor against Barcelona first leg - flapping at many crosses (one hit the post), poor against newcastle - gave away a goal when he ran way out, I think he should have held the shot for Manure's goal. I think he has been poor since he had a terrible FA cup final (bar the shootout).

I think Shay Given is a MUCH better goalkeeper and think we should move for him. No risk as he is proven in the premiership.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:33 pm

Red wrote:For all of dudeks mistakes and slip ups dont you think he deserves some good recognition for his loyalties? for such a great keeper as dudek most im sure would have tried to find a club which would grant regular 1st team football, Dudek for me has been a great if not legendary for liverpool football club and he did himself justice for what happened in may 2005 in a city called instanbul, but as for Reina he will be our number keeper for years to come, he can only get better than what he is already,

Who else would  pay Dudek as much to play as we pay him to do nothing?
Last edited by Big Niall on Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:00 pm

Big Niall wrote:in just the last few weeks, he was poor against Barcelona first leg - flapping at many crosses (one hit the post), poor against newcastle - gave away a goal when he ran way out, I think he should have held the shot for Manure's goal. I think he has been poor since he had a terrible FA cup final (bar the shootout).

I think Shay Given is a MUCH better goalkeeper and think we should move for him. No risk as he is proven in the premiership.

I think you've got the shamrock-tinted specks on there, mate.  Yes, Given is very good keeper who would grace any side in the Prem.  But, no way is Reina as poor as you're making him out to be. 

Poor against Barca first leg?  He did flap at Deco's free kick but he also did well to save against Saviola on a couple of occasions.  He was safe hands on the return leg, as well.

Against the Mancs I defy even Shay Given to hold onto that free kick.  A trademark Ronaldo free kick--fizzed in with pace and movement--complicated by Saha's intelligent near post run.  I've watched that one over a few times and I think criticizing Reina for the goal is very harsh.

Granted, the Newcastle goal was a bit of a mess but you'll get the odd one of those from Reina as he's always interested in racing out to deal with danger rather than sitting on his line with a striker bearing down.  For every one of those he c.ocks up, he'll snuff out a dozen or so other chances with his willingness to charge out and beat the striker to the ball over the top.

And, I'm not sure how he can be considered poor since the FA Cup final given the number of clean sheets that have been racked up this season, especially at Anfield.

Bottom line for me--he's a very good, young keeper who will only improve with age and experience.  He had a bit of a rough patch early this season but who's come through that well and is now back to solid form.  There's very few keepers in world football I'd consider swapping him for and Shay Given is not one of them, good as he is.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion