Reinas judgement season - One season wonder

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:50 am

Reina was so good last season because our defence was good and probably made him look better than he actually is.
A bit like Cech, in that sense.
He has mostly had feck all to do in past games and has just been a by stander.
The last thing we need now is for him to lose confidence like Dudek and Calamity.
It will all come good in time.
The whole team was poor on saturday not just him.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pedro O'Maradona » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:53 pm

he is 23......let the lad alone!
It says a lot about the pressures of being the No. 1 keeper at Liverpool when the position hasnt been nailed down long term since bruce Grobbelaar... David James who i believe had everything to be one of the best goalkeepers in the world wasnt consistent enough and I think had concentration issues, Brad Friedel didnt look like the answer while he was at the club and then went on to be one of the most consistent keepers in the premiership with blackburn (less pressure cooker environment and a certain mr. Joe Corrigan may have had something to do with that perhaps?) Westerveld I never really rated to be honest but I think once his confidence went he was finished. Jerzy a great shotstopper but as soon as he made a few mistakes his confidence went to pieces....as for Chris Kirkland and Scott carson the jury is still out....Any goalkeeper will tell you that the things that make a good keeper great is concentration and confidence....90% of goalkeeping is in the head...and Anfield it seems has very very high expectations and with that comes a lot of pressure.
goalkeepers inevitably make mistakes its how they get through it after is the key....look at Schmiechel when he made howlers he just roared and and shouted at his defenders and blamed someone else.thats how he dealt with it.....but his defence always had confidence in him, thats crucial....this works both ways tho if a keeper has confidence in his defenders he looks better too...IMO Clemence was made look good because of the defence he had in front of him.....but anyway my point is Reina is young and had a great first season...he has an iffy FA cup final and people say ohhhhh maybe this year he wont be so good....its high pressure but give the lad a chance...
Pedro O'Maradona

Postby Rafa D » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:40 pm

:bump
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby peterc1992 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:10 am

get the point,lol
emlyn hughes:"liverpool are magic,everton are tragic"
peterc1992
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Espionage » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:00 am

He is in great form, glad to see him back to his best.  I think that teams often underrate him but he is a solid keeper with many more years at the club.  Great to hear that Rafa is offering him a longer contract!
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kop11 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:43 pm

Well as you've said in another thread - Gerrard put paid to any plans of "no-change" with his disgruntled attitude to playing anywhere but central midfield.

It seems that the only signign that could turn out to be a total failure is Pennant. It's not an ability issue, it's an application one. The lad has nothing by way of a heart.

Kuyt is already a success IMO, Gonzalez is younger than Agger (who was afforded a season to bed in), Paletta is only 20, and Bellamy cannot be fairly judged when he's had the assault charge hanging over him.

To be perfectly honest, it's all too easy to blame th enew players. It;s the established ones who have been poor.

pretty much agree with you there.  Kuyt is a superb player and if Pennant worked 1/2 as hard as Dirk, he'd be a massive success

agreed!
'i was made for liverpool and liverpool was made for me'

kop11

Postby redhayesy » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:34 pm

for me this isn"t reina"s judgement season- ok so he has had afew dodgy moments in the early part of season,but has come through it with grit & determination imo. remember brucy had an incosistant start to his lfc days, but went on to be a legend. & with the backing of raffa & the fans there"s no reason why reina can"t achieve that status also,as i think he is a top class keeper & will be with us for a long time to come.
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:42 pm

Well i think he made some great first time stops yesterday all be it with a bit of luckon the second strikes.

People forget that a goalkeepers confidence sometimes channels from his confidence in the defence. Now that Aggers back on a regular basis I think it will do Reina some good knowing he has a solid line in front of him.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GLB1 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:29 am

Didn't want to start a new topic but looks like Reina looking to stay for the long term. Good news if you ask me and love the comment about his daughter being a scouser.

http://home.skysports.com/list.as....clid=14
GLB1

Postby JC_81 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:40 am

Every keeper has a dodgy period, especially young keepers, and Reina has come through his now.

He's the perfect keeper for us with the system we play.  Since Sami has been dislodged by Agger we've been defending generally with a much higher line, making it essential to have a keeper quick off his line to cover as a sweeper.  There is no keeper better than Reina at this.

I think I'm right in saying he's had more clean sheets than any other Premiership keeper this season too?  And despite his early season form.  Top player.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:50 am

john craig wrote:Every keeper has a dodgy period, especially young keepers, and Reina has come through his now.

He's the perfect keeper for us with the system we play.  Since Sami has been dislodged by Agger we've been defending generally with a much higher line, making it essential to have a keeper quick off his line to cover as a sweeper.  There is no keeper better than Reina at this.

I think I'm right in saying he's had more clean sheets than any other Premiership keeper this season too?  And despite his early season form.  Top player.

He is also really effective in starting a counter attack. He has an excellent ball distribution that helps set up counter attacks. I have never seen another keeper better than reina in ball distribution, in the premier league.

Top GK... Happy for him to be settled right now
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:09 pm

Pepe Reina is our best keeper since Brucie, no doubt. His antics at the start of the season put pressure on him but since then he has improved dramatically. His mistake against Newcastle was crucial. Saying all that I still believe Reina is a great keeper. I think Pepe Reina will be at Anfield for many years to come.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:11 pm

metalhead wrote:
john craig wrote:Every keeper has a dodgy period, especially young keepers, and Reina has come through his now.

He is also really effective in starting a counter attack. He has an excellent ball distribution that helps set up counter attacks. I have never seen another keeper better than reina in ball distribution, in the premier league.

I probably have ............. Peter Schmiecal (sp)
66-1112520797

Postby metalhead » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:41 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
metalhead wrote:

I probably have ............. Peter Schmiecal (sp)

mate.. I'm not talking about the past im talking now.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:26 am

I have never seen another keeper better than reina in ball distribution

Mate ... You have just used the past tense. (NEVER) I have Never, so that to me says your talking about past and present.

So in actual fact I have .......... Peter Schmiecal :D
66-1112520797

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion