Realistic Target This season Under Klopp...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:18 am

Just thought I'd put this out there and liven the debate up a bit....

I know we have dropped a load of points, but the honeymoon period is now over for Mr Klopp. I'm just asking you all, what is your REALISTIC target/expectation this season? As the league title is now it seems too far beyond our reach.
It's an indicator of our forward progress under our manager so far. I think we can do a lot better than 4th place, if Jurgen gets his teams selections right.
Good squad or not, this is a RESULTS business and I  want to see some...

I'll start the ball rolling. For me, this season I believe we can finish as high as second place, as our squad is as good as Man Utd, Chelsea and Tottenham, Man For Man. So I'll say:

League: 2nd
Champions League: Minimum Semi Finals
Fa Cup:  Semi /Final/ or Win

Any of the above shows we are making forward progress under our manager..

What do you lot hope and expect this season?

Amen  :buttrock
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:18 am

Realistic target has been for a while which is a champions league spot. 2nd would be sweet because of direct entry into the champions league proper. However i can't see us getting that so 3rd/4th would be acceptable.
I don't think we will have the consistency to finish 2nd we are not like Mannure play shyte but still take away 3 points.

As for the cups i would say it all depends who we get in the champions league.
I feel we will despatch Porto and after that unsure. We can face any team on our day but sadly we've also got our other side.
I guess realistically last 8 or 4 would be good progress

FA cup- I want to win the damn thing and i hope Jurgen takes it seriously.
If we get past Everton and strengthen in Jan who knows.
All the big teams will take this seriously so during the latter stages a tie vs City is inevitable.
Last edited by redshade on Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:24 pm

It wouldn't surprise me if we went quite far in the CL, if we get past Porto we will be into the last 8 and because of the draw some big hitters are going to be already out (PSG v Real Madrid, Barcelona v Chelsea, Spurs v Juventus).
Our main weakness is that we struggle against teams that sit deep but I doubt we'll meet too many of those in the last 8 of the CL, the better teams coming onto us might suit us.
If we can buy a CB in January and hold onto Phil until the summer we could surprise a few. I don't think we'll win it (PSG is my tip) but then again I didn't think we'd win it in 2005 either.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:35 pm

Whenever people want to accept it or not, another top 4 finish will be a mark of progress for us. I'll take that and anything on top is a bonus.

The important thing is that we continue to reestablish ourselves as a CL team.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:01 pm

Think we are competing for 4th with Arsenal and Spurs, two teams I think we are better than.

Big game Friday and a shame that top 2 consistency levels still eludes this entertaining team, United are incapable of matching our scintillating football but dont need to play well to win, our greatest teams where always that way.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:26 pm

Consistency is a problem for us, however. We win games easily, then we drop points in the next, and so on.

So even a top four finish may be difficult until we sort that conundrum out. :(
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby chriserfolg » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:01 am

Defence and midfield is still a massive weakness . Manager rotations of goalkeeper and defence is odd .
January might unsettle Countinho again.

A struggle to finish top 4 .
chriserfolg
LFC Basic Member

Postby kazza » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:24 am

We have to consistently make CL and then build from there, a cup along the way would be a bonus.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Klopptomaniac » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:32 am

kazza » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:24 am wrote:We have to consistently make CL and then build from there, a cup along the way would be a bonus.

Totally agree. In my head 2 consecutive years in the CL would be massive, we haven't had that for a long time.

Achieve that this season and we can start building.
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:10 pm

I still think we can finish second in the league. Our squad is better than united overall, although their defence is a bit better. If we go on a good run and put a few wins together on the spin, we can reel them in.
We could even win the champions league also, with a bit of good fortune. Over two legs, what teams can live with us and stop our scoring machine. :p
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:23 pm

Ghost of Shankly » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:10 pm wrote:I still think we can finish second in the league. Our squad is better than united overall, although their defence is a bit better. If we go on a good run and put a few wins together on the spin, we can reel them in.
We could even win the champions league also, with a bit of good fortune. Over two legs, what teams can live with us and stop our scoring machine. :p

If Phil leaves in January then any faint hopes of winning the CL will be well and truly gone imo. Even if we replace him with a couple of quality players like Kovacic and Lemar they'll probably be Cup tied.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:22 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:23 pm wrote:
Ghost of Shankly » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:10 pm wrote:I still think we can finish second in the league. Our squad is better than united overall, although their defence is a bit better. If we go on a good run and put a few wins together on the spin, we can reel them in.

If Phil leaves in January then any faint hopes of winning the CL will be well and truly gone imo. Even if we replace him with a couple of quality players like Kovacic and Lemar they'll probably be Cup tied.

The LFC board refused any bids for Coutinho in the summer, why would they accept a bid for him January!?

I don't think Phil is going anywhere, certainly not until next summer at the very least.

I can't remember the last time we sold a player in January. By the same token, I don't think we will sign anyone ourselves either.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Klopptomaniac » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:39 pm

Ghost of Shankly » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:22 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:23 pm wrote:

The LFC board refused any bids for Coutinho in the summer, why would they accept a bid for him January!?

I don't think Phil is going anywhere, certainly not until next summer at the very least.

I can't remember the last time we sold a player in January. By the same token, I don't think we will sign anyone ourselves either.

Torres sticks in the mind. But yeh, we didn't let him go in the summer. No amount of January kicking and screaming will change our stance. He'll be gone in the summer.
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby metalhead » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:42 pm

A top 4 and a good run in the CL (given how we are not good enough to challenge for any titles).
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:02 pm

id be happy with top 4 and a decent CL and FA cup run, we are miles behind City and Man Utd and Chelsea comfortably have better squads than ours. Our direct rivals are Spurs and Arsenal so we have to ensure we perform better than those two to finish at least 4th. If we could finish 4th, win the FA cup and get to the quarter finals of the Champs League I would be delighted considering our current personnel and resources.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion