Realistic Target This season Under Klopp...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:04 pm

Ghost of Shankly » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:22 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:23 pm wrote:
Ghost of Shankly » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:10 pm wrote:I still think we can finish second in the league. Our squad is better than united overall, although their defence is a bit better. If we go on a good run and put a few wins together on the spin, we can reel them in.
We could even win the champions league also, with a bit of good fortune. Over two legs, what teams can live with us and stop our scoring machine. :p

If Phil leaves in January then any faint hopes of winning the CL will be well and truly gone imo. Even if we replace him with a couple of quality players like Kovacic and Lemar they'll probably be Cup tied.

The LFC board refused any bids for Coutinho in the summer, why would they accept a bid for him January!?

I don't think Phil is going anywhere, certainly not until next summer at the very least.

I can't remember the last time we sold a player in January. By the same token, I don't think we will sign anyone ourselves either.

Well during the run up to the derby game our CEO Peter Moore, Jurgen nor Coutinho himself could confirm that Phil would still be here after January.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:21 pm

I would be VERY surprised if we let him go half way through the season. I still think it will be next summer.

We could do with finishing second really to restore a bit of faith that Klopp is the right man for the long term job.

Under Rafa Benitez, and Brendan Rodgers, we managed to achieve 2nd spot.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Pig Catcher » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:21 pm

In all honestly, getting in the top 4 again and making an impact in the knock out stages of the Champions League would represent another step forward under Klopp and would give us real power in the transfer window. Saying that, 2nd place is up for grabs and there is no reason we shouldn't be eyeing it up.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:11 pm

Pig Catcher » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:21 pm wrote:In all honestly, getting in the top 4 again and making an impact in the knock out stages of the Champions League would represent another step forward under Klopp and would give us real power in the transfer window. Saying that, 2nd place is up for grabs and there is no reason we shouldn't be eyeing it up.

Finishing 2nd is not Impossible BUT looking at the table today even a top four finish at this stage is still a tough task.

Man Utd and Chelsea are 5 and 4 points ahead of us

Spurs 1 point behind and Arsenal 4  points behind (with a game in hand)

Add an overachieving Burnley (5 points behind us ) to the mix and there's gonna be a real scrap for a top four finish, it could go right down to the wire.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:24 pm

Which is why we can't afford to keep stuttering and dropping points.

As long as we are tight at the back and take our chances, top four should be assured
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Pig Catcher » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:44 pm

woof woof ! » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:11 pm wrote:
Pig Catcher » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:21 pm wrote:In all honestly, getting in the top 4 again and making an impact in the knock out stages of the Champions League would represent another step forward under Klopp and would give us real power in the transfer window. Saying that, 2nd place is up for grabs and there is no reason we shouldn't be eyeing it up.

Finishing 2nd is not Impossible BUT looking at the table today even a top four finish at this stage is still a tough task.

Man Utd and Chelsea are 5 and 4 points ahead of us

Spurs 1 point behind and Arsenal 4  points behind (with a game in hand)

Add an overachieving Burnley (5 points behind us ) to the mix and there's gonna be a real scrap for a top four finish, it could go right down to the wire.

Agreed. We're right in the mix for top 4 but it's going to be tough. 2nd spot is an ambitious target and it's what we should be aiming for without viewing it as a necessity for us to have successful season. It would represent overachievement in my eyes.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:06 pm

We've got Van dyke, right now I'd be knocking on Liepzig's  door and asking just how much would it take for them to release Keita in January !   :)

If we could get him early I reckon that could blow the top off the race for a top four finish   :buttrock

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:06 pm

Keita will be cup tied in the champions league, will he not.

We can still finish second, our squad man for man is as good as man utd's.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:18 pm

Ghost of Shankly » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:06 pm wrote:Keita will be cup tied in the champions league, will he not.

We can still finish second, our squad man for man is as good as man utd's.

Yup we can, with Van dyke here closing it on 2nd has increased even more. We just need to be consistent and keep up with the pace.

Btw i think we will be the first team to beat City on the 14th.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:36 pm

Still think our target is top 4 and a good push in the Cl.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:37 pm

There is a whole month for teams to strengthen so it all depends if any are improved.

On the other hand Arsenal may lose both Ozil and Sanchez which could weaken them.

If Kane is injured Spurs are truly screwed.

Mannure and Chelsea will always be thereabouts battling for 2nd.
If we want 2nd we really will need to perform consistently and snap as many points as possible.

It all also depends how far each of the teams go into Europe. If Arsenal go into the latter stages they will start to field a stronger side.

Race for 2nd-4th will be interesting. 2nd place this season feels like 1st :D.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:50 pm

2nd place, means we have outshone Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and Man Utd, so finishing above that lot will be a very good season for us.
Finishing below them in 4th again, is no sign of progress really.

4th place IMHO, should be the minimum requirement for any Liverpool manager to keep their job.

It's been a weird season, Coutinho missed the first few games, we could not score our chances and we've been whooped by Spurs and City, drawn 8 games etc.  However, we are only 5 points off second place..  we have been stuttering with our form.
Second is definitely possible I believe.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:29 pm

With Arsenal and Chelsea drawing 2-2, we are only three points from second place currently.
I think the 2nd-6th places in the league is going to go right down to the wire.
We have been dropping points all of this season, so it's hard to see exactly where we will finish. I think Man Utd and Chelsea will definitely finish top four, so it's between us, Spurs and Arsenal for the 4th spot.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:29 pm

With Arsenal and Chelsea drawing 2-2, we are only three points from second place currently.
I think the 2nd-6th places in the league is going to go right down to the wire.
We have been dropping points all of this season, so it's hard to see exactly where we will finish. Especially, if we continue to draw matches.

I think Man Utd and Chelsea will definitely finish top four, so it's between us, Spurs and Arsenal for the 4th spot.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby fivecups » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:15 pm

Home to West Brom in the next round, decent draw.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion