RAGNAR KLAVAN - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby C-R » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:59 am

Liverpool Football Club have completed the signing of Ragnar Klavan from FC Augsburg on a long-term contract.

The centre-back, who made in excess of 120 appearances in the Bundesliga and has over a century of caps for Estonia, has put pen to paper on a deal with the Reds after successfully passing a medical and agreeing personal terms at Melwood.

Upon finalising the transfer, Klavan told Liverpoolfc.com: “I’m really honoured to be part of this amazing club, this amazing team.

“It’s hard to put it into words, because it’s been a dream of mine for 22 years to come to the Premier League and be a part of this amazing club, Liverpool.

“The Premier League is the most attractive league in the world and you always have amazing players here. This is the home of football.”

Klavan becomes the fifth new face added to Jürgen Klopp’s squad this summer so far following Loris Karius, Joel Matip, Sadio Mane and Marko Grujic.

The 30-year-old featured in both legs of the Europa League last-32 tie for Augsburg against Liverpool back in February.
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby johnbarnes » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:03 pm

Let's hope Klavan is a Klaver player  :eyebrow
Welcome to LFC Ragnar - Wear your shirt with pride and do us proud!
YNWA
  :buttrock
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby killerp » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:12 pm

Welcome to the club, I hope you are shore up our leaky defense.

Now to upgrade our dodgy left back and we might be in business.
killerp

Postby Klopptomaniac » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:44 pm

We needed (dependable) numbers in defence and hopefully he fits the bill

Welcome to the club
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby C-R » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:19 pm

Was in second place for most defensive blocks in the bundesliga last season, first was Joel Matip btw

Seems a like for like replacement for Skrtel or Kolo, take your pick

Welcome to the club  :buttrock
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:40 pm

Welcome to the club. Did OK in Bundesliga, let's see how he handles the Prem.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:04 pm

Good addition needed CB cover.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby parchpea » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:27 pm

This lad could be a dark horse for us, just got a good feeling about him.

At an age where he thought this move was beyond him but has the attributes needed for the Prem.

Like when Wenger picked lads from off the radar during his early days at Arsenal, Klopp can utilise his Bundesliga knowledge to match players suited to the game here.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:12 pm

parchpea » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:27 pm wrote:This lad could be a dark horse for us, just got a good feeling about him.

At an age where he thought this move was beyond him but has the attributes needed for the Prem.

Like when Wenger picked lads from off the radar during his early days at Arsenal, Klopp can utilise his Bundesliga knowledge to match players suited to the game here.

To be fair CB's who are good readers of the game can play until they are 35+ these days so him being 30 isn't really that big of a deal. Saying that I hope we don't sign any 30 year old CM's or fullbacks  :D
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby JC_81 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:32 pm

Toure strung a few good performances together at the end of last season but his legs had clearly gone.

I think any of us who state that they know much about Klavan other than what they've read or watched on the past week is talking nonsense. Basically he's a complete unknown quantity to us but Klopp will know him from Germany. Let's see what he's like.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:43 pm

JC_81 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:32 pm wrote:Toure strung a few good performances together at the end of last season but his legs had clearly gone.

I think any of us who state that they know much about Klavan other than what they've read or watched on the past week is talking nonsense. Basically he's a complete unknown quantity to us but Klopp will know him from Germany. Let's see what he's like.

I do remember that that Ausburg were a tough outfit to break down, we barely put a dent in them over two games, I'm not saying it was all down to this fella we've just signed but being a CB he must have played some part.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Pig Catcher » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:57 am

Letting Toure go and bringing in Klavan will a lot to do with suitability and balance I think. One of the issues with Toure is that no matter if he was the RCB or LCB he would always drift towards the right, leaving holes on the left hand side of our defence. Having Matip, Lovren, Sakho and Klavan gives us two right footers and two left footers, plus Gomez. With Sakho being quite injury prone I can see Klavan getting a decent amount of game time.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:10 pm

Hopefully he turns out to be a complete surprise package  :nod

Welcome to the club lad.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby C-R » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:44 pm

I think he will definitely surprise a few and from everything I have seen he looks more dependable than Skrtle (I keep thinking back to "that" Southampton match)

His national team boss described him as the consummate professional

Liverpool have signed a consummate professional in defender Ragnar Klavan, Estonia boss Magnus Pehrsson has told ESPN FC.

Klavan, 30, joined the Reds on Wednesday from Bundesliga side Augsburg for €5 million plus add-ons to provide much-needed depth in the heart of Liverpool's defence.

Liverpool manager Klopp is likely to favour Dejan Lovren, fellow new signing Joel Matip, Mamadou Sakho and Joe Gomez in that position, but with the latter two missing the start of the season with injury, the Estonia captain could be required immediately, and Pehrsson is confident he can make the step up.

"I think he has most of what you ask from a central defender -- he is calm with the ball, he can build up well, he's fast, he's good in the air, he can tackle," Estonia boss Pehrsson told ESPN FC. "I think he's a complete defender."

With Kolo Toure departing the club this summer after his contract expired, Klavan is seen as the ideal replacement for the Ivorian, who was a popular figure around the Liverpool dressing room.

"From the players I have worked with in my career, he's the most professional I have worked with, in terms of taking care of himself and really trying develop himself day by day," the Swedish boss, who took charge of the Estonian national side in 2013, said.

"He's a real role model. This is my third year with him now and I don't see any difference at all. I think he has developed in these three years. He has always been a good athlete -- he is strong and fast. By playing more at a good level in the Bundesliga, I think he has developed with his positioning on the pitch, and that together with being a fast player, I see him carrying on six, seven years without any problems.

"He does most of the things you like players to do. He's always doing preparation in the gym before training sessions, he takes care of himself afterwards, very aware of what he eats and how to recover between games. I know he's been working to train his brain on how to stay focused on the task during the games.

"His motto since he became a professional player in Estonia is that he should never reject anything, and he really takes advantage of the talent he has."

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/liverpool/story ... tonia-boss
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:08 pm

Really starting to grow fond of this guy, watched his pre season performances closely and read a couple of his interviews after the matches, his attitude really is full on pro, like his national team manager said a "model proffesional"

He works incredibly hard on the pitch, reads the game really well, gives 100% and I do not think this guy has come here to be anybody's backup, he wants a starting place and I can see him getting one

With my crystal ball out in front of me I am predicting this guy will become a cult hero at the club, shame he is so new to us as he shows true leadership, something we have been seriously lacking since Stevie left

I think the fact he is 30 and making this move to us he knows and understands that this is his big chance at a huge club and he has every intent of taking it

Watch this space
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion