PHILIPPE COUTINHO - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby aCe' » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:15 pm

It all comes down to the quality of players we SIGN rather than sell. You look at the likes of Utd, Chelsea, etc. and you can rest assured that year in, year out, they're improving their starting 11 and squad regardless of who they sell. We go out ans sign mid table players who lack leadership, winning mentality, and the reputation to at least give the perception of the club looking to fight for honors. No wonder the half decent few we have look to move to bigger clubs.

I know many will object to this, but I think we need to make statement signings even if it means paying over the odds. Top players and top young talent want to line up alongside the Hazards, Ozils, and Ibras of the world. Cant see many considering Firmino or Mane when deciding whether to join us or not. Klopp atm is probably our biggest draw but all our rivals have equal, if not higher, profile managers.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:36 pm

Couthino is on good money at Liverpool now but in terms of his career a move feels like the right thing this summer and I think he will go.

We literally have nothing to keep him here and unless the club starts loading the team with class players going out is the next stage for him.

I fear Mane may be in a similar position in a years time.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:43 pm

Its true Mane will be the next one to go after Coutinho.
He has caught everyone's attention this season.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Doeboy » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:19 pm

Coutinho on his day, is absolutely world class however when he is having an off day, sometimes you forget he is on the pitch.

You can't really getaway with that at Barca as they want you to produce week in week out and until he starts to turnup consistently throughout the season rather than just purple patches, i'm not too sure whether Barca would go all out to get him.

Maybe more of a case if the price is right (it won't be in their eyes as we will want a massive fee), then they would go for him but can't see it happening simply because he has too many question marks around his consistency for Barca to justify paying the huge fee we would want
Doeboy

Postby kazza » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:01 am

Doeboy » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:19 pm wrote:Coutinho on his day, is absolutely world class however when he is having an off day, sometimes you forget he is on the pitch.

You can't really getaway with that at Barca as they want you to produce week in week out and until he starts to turnup consistently throughout the season rather than just purple patches, i'm not too sure whether Barca would go all out to get him.

Maybe more of a case if the price is right (it won't be in their eyes as we will want a massive fee), then they would go for him but can't see it happening simply because he has too many question marks around his consistency for Barca to justify paying the huge fee we would want

That is not how they operate though, they turn the players head with statements by their players and then lowball and generally get their man because the player wants to go there. Suarez went for less than his worth, same as Mascherano, Alonso, Owen etc. They have the draw to do that. They will probably offer 35 and get him for close to that.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:39 pm

Suarez went for a little less because of his history. The lad was one major incident from a 12 month ban and we couldn't take that risk anymore.

I don't think Coutinho is going anywhere. Maybe in 12 months for £50, but not now given that he's just signed a new contract.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:48 pm

7_Kewell » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:39 pm wrote:Suarez went for a little less because of his history. The lad was one major incident from a 12 month ban and we couldn't take that risk anymore.

I don't think Coutinho is going anywhere. Maybe in 12 months for £50, but not now given that he's just signed a new contract.

Suarez had just signed a new contract
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:53 pm

Suarez left 12 months after signing the new deal. But we had to sell...he was a liability and didn't give two f**ks for LFC.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:42 pm

Barca were always going to go all out for Suarez. Guy was consistently banging them in for us and had an amazing season. Then goes to the WC and effectively knocks England out by himself. Not sure Barca will have that level of appetite for Coutinho, especially after we quote them a price and the fact he hasn't shown the level of consistency Suarez had
Doeboy

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:58 am

Doeboy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:42 pm wrote:Barca were always going to go all out for Suarez. Guy was consistently banging them in for us and had an amazing season. Then goes to the WC and effectively knocks England out by himself. Not sure Barca will have that level of appetite for Coutinho, especially after we quote them a price and the fact he hasn't shown the level of consistency Suarez had

For me there's been too much noise from Barcelona's end (especially comments from Neymar etc) to suggest that this is all just conjecture. Yes you're right Phil is inconsistent but he's also still pretty young and he has a lot of admirers and friends in that Barcelona dressing room, I'm almost certain that they will make some sort of move for him in the summer.
Unfortunately for us as well once Barcelona or Real Madrid come calling the player is as good as gone, especially if the said player is South American.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:42 am

Doeboy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:42 pm wrote:Barca were always going to go all out for Suarez. Guy was consistently banging them in for us and had an amazing season. Then goes to the WC and effectively knocks England out by himself. Not sure Barca will have that level of appetite for Coutinho, especially after we quote them a price and the fact he hasn't shown the level of consistency Suarez had

I think if he had Messi, Suarez, Neymar to feed of his passes, if you play him in a weaker league bar three teams, if you have him play in a system where he does not have to defend and a warmer climate ( and a happier wife  :;):  )you will see he will become a much better player, probably world class.

I was reading that there is a civil war of sorts at Barcelona as to the direction of the club. Messi who has the power does not really want Coutinho as he knows that Neymar will get more passes since they have a stronger bond. Whichever player they bring to replace Iniesta will determine the fate of Messi ( who may go to City) and give more chances to Neymar to be the number one player as he is younger and the future.  Not sure what Suarez thinks but you would assume that he would want Coutinho also since they played so well together at Liverpool. So if they were to take him, you may find Messi moving.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pig Catcher » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:20 am

I don't see him going anywhere this summer, especially if we get Champions League football. As it stands, there simply isn't a spot for him in the starting 11 at Barcelona and he's already had his fingers burnt sitting on the bench at Inter. You can tell by the way he speaks about us. If he had continued his early season form throughout the rest of year, then yes, I could see a club like Barcelona going for him, but they're not going to spend £50 mil on an inconsistent player who would play second fiddle to others.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:49 am

then its simple...    Coutinho in a swap deal for Lionel Messi.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby Doeboy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:29 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:58 am wrote:

For me there's been too much noise from Barcelona's end (especially comments from Neymar etc) to suggest that this is all just conjecture. Yes you're right Phil is inconsistent but he's also still pretty young and he has a lot of admirers and friends in that Barcelona dressing room, I'm almost certain that they will make some sort of move for him in the summer.
Unfortunately for us as well once Barcelona or Real Madrid come calling the player is as good as gone, especially if the said player is South American.

Agree once Barca or Real Madrid come calling, it is damn hard to keep hold of a player. However i'm not too sure Barca will show the same appetite to get Coutinho as they did with Suarez or other players they have bought.

Coutinho on his day, is up there with the very best in the league but there's just too much fluctuation in his performances throughout the course of a season. He is either running the show and looking one of the best players in the league like he was earlier in the season or he is very anonymous and I struggle to remember he is on the pitch.

I know injury hasn't helped him this year but this issue with inconsistency is something he has had since he has been at us. The lad is going to be 25 this summer and I'm not too sure we can use that  'he is still young' tag with him anymore tbh, especially when you look around and see the Likes of Kane, Lukaku, Alli who are all younger than him and also our very own Mane who the same age as him but they are all turning it on consistently.

I really hope Klopp can coax out consistency in him, because if he can, he would be to us what Hazard is to Chelsea.
Doeboy

Postby maguskwt » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:51 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:58 am wrote:

He is only 24 and his peak is ahead of him...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion