Total votes : 95

Postby Well Red » Mon May 04, 2009 7:15 pm

here's my vote, and bold statement of the week:

Xabi Alonso - the best passer of the ball in the premier league. :p
THERE WILL BE LIFE AFTER TORRES:

Well Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon May 04, 2009 9:06 pm

It comes back to that debate we had a week or so ago about whether it's who has been the best player in terms of who has contributed the most to the teams success, or who has played nearest to the absolute pinnacle of his ability.

On the first question (which if I'm honest is how I think it should be judged, even though in our case the result every year would be pretty boring) the winner is Gerrard by an absolute distance. Not even close, not even by head and shoulders above, probably from about the waist up. It's a funny thing this because when you make such statements, you normally get somebody accusing you of being "plastic" or "in love" with all things Gerrard. That or you are clueless, or not a real fan.

They're wrong on all counts I think. Gerrard is probably as Ace indicated, almost certainly infact the most important single player in any team in the Premier League. It's a strange phenomenon that some regular matchgoers can sit twenty yards from the action and can't see something as obvious as that, but there you go. A good way of judging who is/has been player of the season would be to ask all the other managers in the league who is our most important and best player. There are nineteen other Premiership managers, and if you'd asked them this season I should think nineteen would say Gerrard. That'll do for me.

On the second question there have been some strange names thrown into the mix which makes you wonder sometimes if people watch the same game as you, but in the main most everyone thinks it's either Kuyt or Alonso. Once again it's stating the obvious a bit, but as it's true why try swimming against the tide. My take is it's Alonso. If you ask me who out of him and Kuyt is playing closer to his absolute potential, it's probably a dead heat because they've both many times this season played at their absolute best. Football being football though, everybody has an off day from time to time. I give it to Alonso for two reasons. Firstly and quite simply because his absolute best is much better than Dirks, in that he's a much more talented player. It then follows of course that on Xabi's occasional off-days, he doesn't quite plumb the depths of Dirk when it's not one of his days. On those days I'm reminded of that old football song "If Lee Dixon can play for England then so can I".

Full marks to both, but for me it's Alonso in this vote.
Last edited by bigmick on Mon May 04, 2009 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alex G. » Mon May 04, 2009 9:36 pm

I voted for Alonso too, I have to recognize my admiration for this lad, his ability, quality, his elegance. Any team of the world would love to have him.
Alex G.
LFC Super Member

Postby dawson99 » Mon May 04, 2009 9:37 pm

I've gone for Kuyt

1: He has been ripped to pieces by a section of the fans and prooved them wrong
2: He will never give up, never slow down, and he will not stop!
3: scored some VERY important goals for us this season
4: will never moan no matter where he is played, as long as hes wearing the red
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon May 04, 2009 9:38 pm

Alex G. wrote:I voted for Alonso too, I have to recognize my admiration for this lad, his ability, quality, his elegance. Any team of the world would love to have him.

Yes, especially that who claims to have the best basque players but do not have Alonso in it  :laugh:    :nod  :;):  :D

P.S. I never like those polls of "best of season", but that's something that English and Americans love to do for some reason. For me it's difficult compare bananas and potatoes so when I read these polls I'm often wander in a bucle with no decission.

If what's asked who's the best player of the squad this season, it has to be Gerrard.

When we talk about the question "given his standards, who have played at the limit of his current capability", it has to be Alonso

If the question is something like "who's the most positive surprise?", I'd go for Benayoun, who was one of the players that many people mentioned as the kind of player unworthy this shirt, and he has proven many wrong.

I never really know what I'm answering in those polls sorry  :D
Last edited by Sabre on Mon May 04, 2009 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alex G. » Mon May 04, 2009 9:45 pm

Sabre wrote:
Alex G. wrote:I voted for Alonso too, I have to recognize my admiration for this lad, his ability, quality, his elegance. Any team of the world would love to have him.

Yes, especially that who claims to have the best basque players but do not have Alonso in it  :laugh:  :D  :nod  :;):  :D

Alonso is a Bilbao fan in closet, Sabre  :D  :D He loves the caviar of first class not the "second division".  :D
Alex G.
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Mon May 04, 2009 9:47 pm

:D *reloads his AK47* :D

We'll have a lil chat in PM one of these days. :D
Last edited by Sabre on Mon May 04, 2009 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alex G. » Mon May 04, 2009 9:51 pm

Sabre wrote::D *reloads his AK47* :D

We'll have a lil chat in PM one of these days. :D

Of course, but not the 13th of May ok?  :D Bad times for the blue and whites...
Alex G.
LFC Super Member

Postby heimdall » Mon May 04, 2009 10:59 pm

Alonso ??

Now's that a surprise, for me it's Stevie hands down he has the ability to change games the same way as Torres does. Xabi is a vital member of the team but player of the season is going a bit far imho but of course I respect all of your opinions.  :D
heimdall

Postby DrPepe » Mon May 04, 2009 11:44 pm

[quote="heimdall"][/quote]
i wouldn't have said it's a surprise that so many have voted for alonso

gerrard has been his usual excellent self at times, but he has been injured a bit and the affect that has had on his form have to be taken into consideration ...

Also i would say that the qualities that alonso has, cannot be replaced by anyone in the squad, whereas we have coped well without gerrard in the main, with kuyt, bennyoun stepping into the breach  :buttrock
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby dawson99 » Mon May 04, 2009 11:47 pm

heimdall wrote:Alonso ??

Now's that a surprise, for me it's Stevie hands down he has the ability to change games the same way as Torres does. Xabi is a vital member of the team but player of the season is going a bit far imho but of course I respect all of your opinions.  :D

I like to pick players who havent been injured for large chunks of the season... plus, Stevie wins it every time, give it to someone who has deserved it most this season
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fidags » Mon May 04, 2009 11:48 pm

Hi mates! i'm a Benfica supporter and a friend of me made a video named "Steven Gerrard - A Livin Legend" i hope you enjoy it! Ps: sorry my bad english

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3GBHua9rco

My team in england is Liverpool. Like Benfica fans in Portugal Liverpool fans are the best supporters in England! YNWA (:
fidags

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue May 05, 2009 12:27 am

1.Gerrard (what a monter of a player, words cannot describe how good he is)
2.Alonso(Top player, who just oozes class, really makes the team tick)
3.Torres (Even though he has missed half the season, what a contribution he makes when he is there)
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue May 05, 2009 12:32 am

fidags wrote:Hi mates! i'm a Benfica supporter and a friend of me made a video named "Steven Gerrard - A Livin Legend" i hope you enjoy it! Ps: sorry my bad english

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3GBHua9rco

My team in england is Liverpool. Like Benfica fans in Portugal Liverpool fans are the best supporters in England! YNWA (:

Brilliant video mate and a brilliant player. One or two don't like him too much you might be surprised to hear, but a fantastic player nontheless.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Tue May 05, 2009 1:08 am

Gerrard for me with Xabi a close second.

I can totally understand why most on here would have picked Xabi as the improvement in form over last season's performance has been glaringly obvious. For me however, Gerrard has had an immense season.
ConnO'var

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion