NESV - OUR NEW OWNERS - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby C-R » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:00 am

red till i die!! » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:48 am wrote:
C-R » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:39 am wrote:Any possible ban would only affect the Academy, don't panic
That is the party line anyway but previous bans handed to clubs over this type of thing has resulted in a ban at all levels. Just ask Barcelona  :nod

Circumstances appear different

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/03/li ... ster-deal/

The Reds are believed to have made an offer to the unnamed player last summer, but pulled out over a disagreement over the payment of school fees.

This is said to have left the child’s parents facing thousands of pounds worth of debt, while he is now unable to play for another club until Stoke receive a compensation fee of around £50,000.

While, on a basic level, this paints Liverpool in a hugely unfavourable light, the club also could be punished by the Premier League for their practices.

According to the Telegraph, this may see them face a ban on signing youth players.

This would land them in a similar situation to Real Madrid, Barcelona and Atletico Madrid, serving as a major blow in their plans for the academy.

It is reported that Liverpool “have been attempting to negotiate an agreed sanction,” with a suspended ban possible.

Either way, this casts a damning view over Liverpool, at a time when they are overseeing considerable change in their youth setup.

The club held a public consultation this month over plans to redevelop their academy base as part of a £50 million overhaul, as the first team moves to Kirkby.

One of the key benefits of this will be the proximity between the academy squads and their senior counterparts.

If Liverpool are unable to add to their youth ranks in the transfer market, however, this could be dealt a major blow, with many of their standout talents having joined from elsewhere.

Yan Dhanda, for example, made the move from West Brom in 2013, while Rhian Brewster joined from Chelsea in 2014 and Ovie Ejaria arrived from Arsenal in 2014.

The Reds have also made high-profile signings from abroad, with Juanma putting pen to paper after the expiry of his contract with Barcelona last summer.

Honduran left-back Wesly Decas spent a week on trial with the club earlier in March, while Jack Bearne and Emeka Obi signed from Notts County and Bury respectively towards the end of last year.
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pig Catcher » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:17 pm

Moving this to the right thread.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:31 pm

CR's right, it looks like the ban will only apply at academy level, it won't stop us signing anyone in the summer thank god.
Apparently though there's a scurrilous rumour going around that FSG have put in a formal protest and are demanding to know why the ban hasn't been extended to all levels  :p  :rasp  :laugh:
My mate got me with that one before, took me about five minutes to work it out :D
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:07 pm

kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:53 pm

With not many bids on the table it would be difficult to argue against the decision to accept the FSG offer at that time, and it was always assumed Broughton did a decent job under the circumstances.

I was surprised then and still at the lack of interest in buying Liverpool. RBS wanted their money back without any more of the hassle G&H delivered and as such the criteria for sale may have been very specific, maybe too rigid for some, and this limited interest in the club.

FSG have enough critics to make life uncomfortable and will be rightly scrutinised this summer window and simply have to deliver top players. Not just good players but high quality, and both Klopp and supporters should expect nothing less from any custodians of our great club.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:00 pm

I think its fair to say that the owners have had enough time to understand football by now? They must realise that some sort of duplication of what happened with their baseball club regarding buying and selling players just doesnt work over here. If they really want success then its time to start doing whats needed and buy old/experienced/talented/passionate/world class players who can win trophies.
No more experimentation guys, get your purse out
:nod
Thommo's perm

Postby devaney » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:47 am

If we qualify for CL football we might just have a chance of persuading world class players to join us. Watching the incredible Antoine Griezmann playing for Athletico Madrid against Leicester simply exemplifies the problem we have. He decided to go to Athletico in 2014 for €30m which was well within our capabilities. Simeone's arrival in 2011 was the turning point for Athletico. He demonstrated a high level of consistency in La Liga and the CL and for these reasons he was able to persuade Griezmann to join them. Until we start qualifying for the CL on a regular basis then we will struggle to bring in top class players. I just hope Klopp can do for Liverpool what Simeone has done for Athletico !!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:43 am

devaney » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:47 am wrote:If we qualify for CL football we might just have a chance of persuading world class players to join us. Watching the incredible Antoine Griezmann playing for Athletico Madrid against Leicester simply exemplifies the problem we have. He decided to go to Athletico in 2014 for €30m which was well within our capabilities. Simeone's arrival in 2011 was the turning point for Athletico. He demonstrated a high level of consistency in La Liga and the CL and for these reasons he was able to persuade Griezmann to join them. Until we start qualifying for the CL on a regular basis then we will struggle to bring in top class players. I just hope Klopp can do for Liverpool what Simeone has done for Athletico !!

There were alot of players which were well within our capabilities to procure but inexplicably we didn't under FSG just because they don't fit into some sort of profile they had... I'm kinda done talking about it...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:37 pm

Even if we do qualify for the CL this season they will not sign the players to compete in the fecking thing or indeed ensure that we qualify again the following year. They didn't do it a few years ago and they won't do it now  :no  They will make us think that they are chasing players like James Rodriguez but we know that we will end up with Demarai Grey  :nod  Their philosophy isn't spending money to sign top players or even the ones of the verge of becoming that  :no Their sights are set even lower  :nod Surely every LFC fan has realised this by now?.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:51 pm

Griezemann will probably end up at United alongside the likes of Pogba and Zlatan.
In a way you have to admire United's attitude as a club, they are prepared to do whatever it takes to get success which is I suppose even more admirable given they aren't propped up by petro dollars.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Eagle » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:24 pm

You just need to take a look at their revenue and cash reserves compared to ours to see why they can do it and we can't.
Eagle

Postby redshade » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:35 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:51 pm wrote:Griezemann will probably end up at United alongside the likes of Pogba and Zlatan.
In a way you have to admire United's attitude as a club, they are prepared to do whatever it takes to get success which is I suppose even more admirable given they aren't propped up by petro dollars.

Yup they have been strongly linked with him for a while now.

I heard they wil be getting another money pumping sponsor.

Mourinho will spend in the summer and i hope he fails again.
I can't see them getting top 4 so hoping they exit from Europa.
Their run is very easy compared to what we faced last year.
Being Mancs i could see them winning the cup, just about.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:12 am

red till i die!! » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:37 pm wrote:Even if we do qualify for the CL this season they will not sign the players to compete in the fecking thing or indeed ensure that we qualify again the following year. They didn't do it a few years ago and they won't do it now  :no  They will make us think that they are chasing players like James Rodriguez but we know that we will end up with Demarai Grey  :nod  Their philosophy isn't spending money to sign top players or even the ones of the verge of becoming that  :no Their sights are set even lower  :nod Surely every LFC fan has realised this by now?.

If they don't improve on this trend this summer despite us qualifying for the CL, it's time for fans to show disaproval similar to what they've shown against hicks and gillet. FSG are far better owner than H&G. But their transfer policy is holding us back, so it is what they deserve, stadium improvement or not.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:32 am

Come on lads moan and whinge all you like about what you regard as a flawed transfer policy and then take a look at what Simeone has achieved at Athletico Madrid. Simeone came very close to winning the CL. His consistency in major competitions is excellent. He has achieved this and sold Aguero, Falcao and Costa !! This should help you understand why I moan about our scouts: Just look at who Simeone has bought and sold: http://www.transfermarkt.com/atletico-m ... lpos=&w_s=

Also take a look at Simeone's early years with Athletico when he was feeding off scraps in the transfer market. Simeone has not gone out and spent a fortune on proven world class players. And yet he has developed a team that can perform at the highest level. Vision is just as important as important as money !!

My major gripe is our scouting department. I personally think for many years they have proved themselves to be extremely poor. Just how many players have they identified with real potential that have gone on to be outstanding success stories? Instead we end up taking chances on the likes of Carroll and Benteke at crazy money.  Sturridge who was massively injury prone when we bought him was another punt purchase along with that idiot Balotelli.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Doeboy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:42 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:51 pm wrote:Griezemann will probably end up at United alongside the likes of Pogba and Zlatan.

Mancs success in the 90s coincided with the money in football increasing thanks to Sky. What the mancs did well was to maximise their revenue stream through things such as sponsorship deals etc during the 90s/early noughties which leaves them in a situation where today their revenue is huge, allowing them to pull of these signings.

Suppose sometimes it just a case of the right timing and they got the rub of the green when it came to that. Even though we didn't have that much success in the 90s, we still had a huge opportunity to increase revenues simply due to our brand but we sat on our laurels during that period and are playing catch up now with the only problem being other teams have caught up with us and it's just so competitive.
Doeboy

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion