NATHANIEL CLYNE - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:22 pm

Liverpool transfer news: Southampton accept £12.5 million bid for Nathaniel Clyne

England right-back will become the sixth summer signing for Brendan Rodgers and is poised for a medical next week
Nathaniel Clyne is on the verge of completing his protracted move to Liverpool after Southampton accepted an improved £12.5 million bid. Liverpool’s second offer of an initial £10.5 million, which will rise to £12.5 million, has been enough to persuade Southampton to reluctantly sell the right-back.

Rodgers’s capture of Clyne would take their recent spending on Southampton players to over £60 million, following the signings of Adam Lallana, Dejan Lovren and Rickie Lambert last summer.

Southampton had offered Clyne a new contract but the 24-year-old has shown no inclination to sign it and is now heading to Merseyside. Clyne has established himself as a regular in Roy Hodgson’s England squad, though he was surprisingly overlooked for the European Championship qualifier against Slovenia earlier this month, only appearing as a late substitute.

Liverpool have been the most active Premier League club in the transfer market so far this summer, having already signed James Milner, Danny Ings, Alex Bogdan, Joe Gomez and - most recently - the £28million capture of the Brazil international Firmino.
++

Onwards and upwards!
Last edited by Reg on Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby number 8 ynwa » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:42 pm

Another good signing.. makes me laugh when people were moaning when we signed Milner as our "top" signing.

Our business has been done really well so far and I can still see a couple more coming in...

Good work!
number 8 ynwa
LFC Basic Member

Postby johnbarnes » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:02 pm

He's not signed up yet.
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby crazyhorse » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:32 pm

Not yet signed... But if it comes off at this fee I will be made up.

This lad will be the real deal.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby killerp » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:23 am

We must have a new transfer committee, the new boys coming in look ok.
killerp

Postby leeroy74 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:24 am

killerp » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:23 am wrote:We must have a new transfer committee, the new boys coming in look ok.

I'm not sure we actually have a committee anymore, hey what if these signings are actually BR's and what if they actually perform and we maybe win a trophy next season, do you reckon BR will get the credit for it?

wake up Leeroy, you fell asleep mate!
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby Buck Rodgers » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:05 am

The way we recruit and sign players is no different to other clubs - we have a head of scouting , head of analysis ,CEO and manager involved - so do all other teams - we just gave them a collective name "committee".
Buck Rodgers
LFC Advanced Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:53 am

Buck Rodgers » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:05 am wrote:The way we recruit and sign players is no different to other clubs - we have a head of scouting , head of analysis ,CEO and manager involved - so do all other teams - we just gave them a collective name "committee".

Well whoever it is who dictates our transfer policy hasn't had a very good record over the past few years, we have wasted an awful lot of money.
Some 'failures' I don't blame the club for, the likes of Balotelli, Coates, Sahin, Ilorri and Markovic (though I still think the latter two will come good) were highly rated young players and if we keep on buying players of that ilk we will undoubtably unearth a few gems.
It's the likes of Aspas, Alberto, Borini, Assaidi etc that are the real head scratchers, they were nothing players to begin with. On top of that we have bought quite a few bang average premiership players (for decent money as well) like Adam, Downing, Allen and Lovren, they could all be playing for mid table sides and no one would bat an eyelid.
To be fair there is a lot of luck involved in signing players because there are so many variables in play (weather, food, wether the players family can settle in the area etc) but by signing players with potential you at least give yourself half a chance.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Buck Rodgers » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:07 pm

Well not sure how Illori can be a failure without playing a game yet - Markovic plus a few others stil got plenty of time at the club , Downing was signed under a DoF as was Adam

But it's the same at every club with transfers - they won't all work out

On the flip side we have also signed some very good players
Buck Rodgers
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Boocity » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:22 pm

I am pleasantly surprised at the thought that has gone into our dealings this year, last year they were like kids in a sweet shop with all the Suarez money burning holes in the pocket, hope they keep it up.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:45 am

Welcome to the club lad

Fairly happy so far with the signings and very happy that business seems to be getting done early on in the off season
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:15 am

Good player for a surprisingly low fee. I was fully expecting Southampton to demand 20+ million.

A clear upgrade over Johnson (where's he gone BTW?) and hopefully a sign that our transfer strategy has FINALLY been fixed.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:14 pm

It's official right? Good signing I think, he's probably the best English right back at the moment. The fee is about right I think since he's on his last year of his contract. Welcome to the club Nathaniel.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby The_Rock » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:02 pm

I am trying to be positive here...but we don't really have a recent good record of british players adapting to our team when we buy them from a smaller team.

downing
carroll
hendo (for 2 seasons was average)
Charlie adam
allen
etc....

Even going back, paul steward, nigel clough, Ruddock, dicks, collymore, saunders.....all of them struggled when they landed here.

Clyne looks pretty awesome at Southampton. He is the best british RB in the league at this moment. I give him that. But we have burnt so many times here. So I am not gonna be too highup on him yet.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:29 pm

We have had some poor buys Rock, add Keane to your list even though he's not technically British but from the British Isles, but we have had plenty of successes buying British talent too.

Gary Mac, Redknapp, Murphy, Bellamy (first time), Crouch and even Sterling all served us well, played for us this side of 2000 and were brought from lesser English clubs.

Johnson wasnt a disaster, he had a decent few seasons before he hit the slide and we've pinched a few bargains off other big sides too - Sturridge, Fowler's second coming and even Bellamy second time around.

Lallana is a good player too who's been unlucky with injuries so far but I think will have a good career here.

I think Clyne is a good hungry young player who has shown desire to come here. I think he'll be good for us.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion