Liverpools summer transfer window and now the gripes

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Fowler_E7 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:20 pm

I feel our business has been great so far, in Allison, Keita and Fabinho we have added genuine top quality to the first team squad, however I feel still lack a number 10 to replace Couthino and add a creative dimension that we lack against teams who park the bus, surely we can muster up some funds to get someone in that position. With Ox being injured and doubts still haning over Lallana being able to get back to his best id to see another person come in there.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:41 pm

So 4 days left in this window and still no defender brought in,the manager seems adamant that he has enough there already ,but if the performance of Gomez against Napoli is any indication, then he's clearly not ready to stand next to Virgil in the premiership. I mean according to Dutch media sources Van Dijk has indicated himself that he would like us to recruit for that position which may provide a pointer to the fact he's not as satisfied as the manager with our options.

I just think that if we're really serious about pushing City all the way we need more quality options at the back and if you look at Cities first season under Guardiola he realized exactly which area they fell short in and rectified that with the procurement of Ederson ,Mendy,Laporte Danilo and Walker and this season( although its gone under the radar) he's brought in a young Dutch CB touted as the next Van Dijk as back up for Stones.

I'd be disappointed if the window closed without us giving ourselves the best chance possible to win this league  :(
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:35 pm

To be fair I thought Lovren and VVD were building a decent little partnership there at the end of last season, the defence was about the only area of our team that did itself justice in the CL final, Lovren, VVD and Robertson all had fine individual games.
Last season was our best return in terms of goals conceded in a decade and that was with a poor first half to the season, once VVD arrived the brakes came on and the goals dried up, Karius even ended the season with one of the best clean sheet records in the division.
I think once we get VVD and Lovren paired up together and Alisson behind them we'll be okay defensively.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:51 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:35 pm wrote:To be fair I thought Lovren and VVD were building a decent little partnership there at the end of last season, the defence was about the only area of our team that did itself justice in the CL final, Lovren, VVD and Robertson all had fine individual games.
Last season was our best return in terms of goals conceded in a decade and that was with a poor first half to the season, once VVD arrived the brakes came on and the goals dried up, Karius even ended the season with one of the best clean sheet records in the division.
I think once we get VVD and Lovren paired up together and Alisson behind them we'll be okay defensively.

Hoping so mate,but I have my reservations
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:25 am

We also have Matip, Klavan, and Gomez as cover for the starting pair. For all the criticism Lovren gets from media and Liverpool supports, he's probably one of the best CBs in the league after VVD and the Spurs pair. Koscieny, Kompany and maybe Bailly ? can get into the argument.

I would have liked another attacking player to come in but I wouldn't be too bothered with us going into the season with what we have. We can probably afford to lose the likes of Grugic, Markovic, Ings, and Solanke without bringing in a replacement but if Origi leaves we'll need to sign someone imo.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:37 am

I don't understand any gripes on transfers to be fair. Klopp has addressed the major issues from last season :
1. Goalkeeper
2. Cover for the front three (Shaqiri)
3. More quality in Midfield (Keita and Fabinho).
4. Cover for full/ centre back (Fabinho).

Other than the creative box to box midfielder, we've got most of our transfer targets, so I'm happy.

Whether we can lift the premier league title come May, is another story.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:36 pm

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/liverpool/story/3587089/liverpool-face-fitness-concerns-in-defence-for-west-ham-opener-jurgen-klopp

Just madness ,this club still retains its ability to undermine fans aspirations even when there's an opportunity to strengthen before the window closes.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby johnbarnes » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:53 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:36 pm wrote:http://www.espn.co.uk/football/liverpool/story/3587089/liverpool-face-fitness-concerns-in-defence-for-west-ham-opener-jurgen-klopp

Just madness ,this club still retains its ability to undermine fans aspirations even when there's an opportunity to strengthen before the window closes.

Red-B.
For the time of been posting on this site you have been one of the most optimistic / positive posters here.
I've looked forward to reading most of your posts even tho I rarely respond...
What's happened?
YNWA
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:42 pm

johnbarnes » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:53 pm wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:36 pm wrote:http://www.espn.co.uk/football/liverpool/story/3587089/liverpool-face-fitness-concerns-in-defence-for-west-ham-opener-jurgen-klopp

Red-B.
For the time of been posting on this site you have been one of the most optimistic / positive posters here.
What's happened?
YNWA

I'm fine fella ,but we seem to go into every season with a limp when with a couple more additions we could gallop,sick to death of falling just short because of our defensive failings and that's an issue that has needed rectifying season after season. I mean just look at the quality we have available to deputize ,Klavan ,Matip ,Moreno and untried youngsters and now we learn we have defensive injury issues ahead of the Hammerz. Its like rinse and repeat every season and I cant believe the fans are being duped again !

I expected this window to be a defining one ,when we resolve our defensive issues completely ,not just bringing in a keeper ,but laying waste to our Achilles heel ,but low and behold with just 3 days left the stench still lingers.  :(
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby johnbarnes » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:17 pm

Red-B.
What's happened?
YNWA
[/quote]

I'm fine fella ,but we seem to go into every season with a limp when with a couple more additions we could gallop,sick to death of falling just short because of our defensive failings and that's an issue that has needed rectifying season after season. I mean just look at the quality we have available to deputize ,Klavan ,Matip ,Moreno and untried youngsters and now we learn we have defensive injury issues ahead of the Hammerz. Its like rinse and repeat every season and I cant believe the fans are being duped again !

I expected this window to be a defining one ,when we resolve our defensive issues completely ,not just bringing in a keeper ,but laying waste to our Achilles heel ,but low and behold with just 3 days left the stench still lingers.  :([/quote]

RB:
Last season we were 90mins away from being crowned Kings Of Europe.
Our defence (without mentioning the obvious) raised themselves to the level of that game.
Only a wonder goal from a fantastic player breached our defence that night.
---
Ultimately, the club came up short because of the lack of investment in the team that all the fans seemed to know, yet the club did nothing about it.
The managers response to 'that' night in Kiev as well as the owners was to publicly apologise to all LFC fans by acquiring a world breaking acquisition.
I mean seriously - Allison's appointment is the biggest apology LFC has ever made to its fans and arguably the biggest apology by any football club in any era.
---
Despite all the BS reports of us spending this and that, we are still spending within our means.
We are no longer the broken time piece of 3 seasons ago.
The heart of the team is ticking along nicely now with additional spare parts.
---
Klopp will not surrender his philosophy to what may seem obvious to me or you.
He is not going to steady the ship by playing it safe with Barry Manilow...
Last season we started to hear and watch the thunderous riffs of Tony Iommi.
The mountains are beginning quake, the sea is beginning to boil.
The world is about to be shook!
---
Not this season... But the next.
And when it happens, you won't be bragging and you won't be gloating.
You will be humbled by the sheer magnitude of your clubs reality.
YNWA
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:44 pm

Lost me a bit at the end there mate ,nevertheless ,I'm old enough and wise enough to not get carried away by the moment and I'm lucky enough to have seen this team win practically every honour there is to be won ,its just I don't see how this season will be any different from last if we don't continue recruiting in this window and specifically for defenders.

I mean, how likely are we to hear the same old complaints pertaining to our defense as soon as we falter or indeed stall ,why not eradicate those moans by having quality replacements now !
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:08 pm

I don't think we can complain too much, the club has spent a fortune this calender year.
Our defence did quite well over the second half of last season and that was with Karius in goal. Let's see how we get on, if there are still any issue's we can always bring someone in in January.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:26 am

We are so much better now than this time last year and the improvement has been organic as we have improved significantly and retained our identity in the way we play, wholesale changes are never good. Team spirit is critical for a team that relies on a team press and I think we have it. What I respect most about Klopp is he does not seem to panic buy and waits for what he thinks will improve us, a far cry from the Rodgers philosophy that seemed more about placating the fans.

So no gripes, only grapes...sweet tangy seedless ones  :laugh:
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:19 pm

If no one else signs Fekir this window this deal may still happen in the future, Jan or next summer if our performances are lacking.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:28 am

While I do think we have strengthened and spent a good amount I still would have liked to see us add another CH and a Striker.  Probably me just being greedy but I feel that is what we are away from winning the league.

Alisson was a good move. Not totally convinced about Fabinho being a starter and Keita was coming anyway. Shaq was a shrewd signing and a good one at that. As good as all that is I just don't think its enough to jump 3 places this season.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion