Liverpools failure in the transfer market. - Interesting read.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby laza » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:00 am

Certainly some sailent points made in that but with a very slanted outlook

Getting rid of Deadwood like Diouff was good business . Apart from Istanbul Smicer hasnt done the job for us for several seasons so im not sure what keeping him would have done for us

Im certainly annoyed we havent strenghten CD/RM area especially the Simoa deal falling apart. Though i would have  be even more gutted if we paid out some huge amount of money for some big name just to satisfy the championship manager crowd.
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PepeMomo » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:09 am

I disagree. Owen always said HIS first choice was Liverpool and Rafa always said HIS first choice was RWF and CB. Iv always said Rafa never wanted him and if the board really wanted to go all out and get him then they would have stepped in much before Newcastle and sorted out the deal as the player wanted a move and Madrid wanted to sell. Instead they waited for Newcastle to make a 17M bid (an offer no club would refuse) and then stepped in with a lower bid which they knew Madrid would never accept.

yeah i agree with u that Rafa never wanted Owen, but the board and the fans wanted him.  For keeping his publicity and avoid any friction caused, Rafa can just keep the negotiation going.  With MO's deal that could hold up at least 12M pounds, that we can just put the talks with other players on hold, and wait till the Owen saga over.

seems we hold the same view but i don't understand why u said u disagree. :)

For Milan, I think selling him is like Real selling Madrid, it's good for both as Milan doesn't fit Rafa's plan, simple as that.  He is not doing particularly well as the lone striker up front and I will say Cisse is quite similiar when consider them in a "functional-wise" way... it's to run and unstablise opponents' defence, of coz, and to score.  I like Milan but I will say I am glad to see him go.

re: no replacement for Baros, "IF" (according to the plan, which haven't materialised) we got a right winger and IF Kewell or any other left winger/midfield are doing well this season, you will have Moro and Crouch hitting a lot of goals... we have enough (if not abundant) quality strikers already but lack of the linkage between them and our midfielders...  that makes replacing Baros not the top priority for us
PepeMomo

Postby onizukaeikichi » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:22 am

why didnt we proceed to bid for joaquin? he's class even if his price is above simao
onizukaeikichi

Postby PepeMomo » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:22 am

though we failed to get a right winger or centre backs, we still have some good captures this summer. Pepe and Sissoko look promising don't they? Zenden is good too.

Letting go unsuitable players is appropriate, no matter how well they do in their new teams.  I believe we still have a better squad than last year...

When Sinama, Traore, Kewell are back, the depth of team is indeed not too bad. 

In Rafa I trust~ we can perform more consistently this season if not playing enough exciting footballs.
PepeMomo

Postby PepeMomo » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:24 am

onizukaeikichi wrote:why didnt we proceed to bid for joaquin? he's class even if his price is above simao

hopeless i believe as Betis is in the same group with us in the ECL...

and he will opt for bigger/richer clubs i suppose...
PepeMomo

Postby onizukaeikichi » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:24 am

the main problem is that we dont have a good crosses on the right, garcia always goes back in centre , cisse is wasting his talent if put there, sinama aint gonna cross any good balls so wtf
onizukaeikichi

Postby daddyo » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:28 am

Everyone concerned about the club is gutted we didnt make the signings we patently needed to.

However a concern of mine is the way managers, when they arrive at LFC start behaving strangely.

Houllier did it also.

Does anyone believe that if there is a reluctance by the board to release the purse strings, then that is a direct reaction to what they suffered under Houllier?

And if that is the case where the heck does that leave us?

Its obvious to me that for all Rafa's qualities, he's having a little trouble adjusting to the situation of managing a big English club-
by that i mean he surely must have got the message by now that so many players(good, bad or indifferent) 'develop' a desire to play in the Premiership, and that when the Premiership knockon your door you can ratchet the price up.

The same situation applies when a big club come calling, it's like a double whammy for us.

The board and Rafa were very naive in their dealing in the transfer market, lets hope they learn from the experience and get themselves primed and ready for the January window.
daddyo

Postby policy » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:43 am

The thread starting post shows us all that the board was very busy throughout the transfer window.

We are going to be fine. I just don't want to hear otherwise.

Rafa Benitez did get rid of dead weight, and it isn't like our PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL PLAYERS are not going to improve or adapt to fit our needs.

Rafa has a big task ahead of him, and no matter what anyone feels about the transfer window activities, there is no room here for fairweather fans and naysayers. Even if our squad was 12 people, we should be hoping for the best and expecting great things.

Enough with the negativity. Go join Chelsea Forever if Liverpool is so bad.
Mourinho was customizing his flashy blue racing car -- applying the finishing touches of go-faster stripes, aerodynamic spoilers and a fat f@ck you exhaust -- while on his red car, Benitez was trying to glue together a broken chassis, repair bodywork and replace burst tyres.
- Paul Tomkins
policy

Postby Row Z » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:49 am

Zenden is good too ?????

Zenden is another Smicer  - enough said.  Have Rafa and the board been asleep for the last 6 weeks  :no  ?  There wasn't even a decent bid for a CB on the last day, surley that was the position most important to fill!!
Row Z

Postby policy » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:51 am

Read the first post's list of players and it shows that we have been linked with many many many players whose extenuating circumstances prevented transfers from occurring. The board has been scouring the planet for players.
Mourinho was customizing his flashy blue racing car -- applying the finishing touches of go-faster stripes, aerodynamic spoilers and a fat f@ck you exhaust -- while on his red car, Benitez was trying to glue together a broken chassis, repair bodywork and replace burst tyres.
- Paul Tomkins
policy

Postby sgs » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:55 am

I agree it may be a little frustrating to c so many lfc supposed deals fall thru in the media; but wait a minute: what is the objective of the annual ritual of transfers? Is it to build a team for today and tomorrow, or simply to match the media hoopla and the 'feel good' thing by fans?
Yes we need a right-sided MF; yes we did not get simao, and yes he is quality, but the manager insists he wants only the right players AT THE RIGHT PRICE! Period!
This is especially important as the transfer market has changed, no thanks to chelski...Folks need to realize this. Simply throwing money around only satisfies the ephemeral..In this regard I am completely with RB and AW.
All that is left is for the manager to improvise. That is afterall the stuff of coaching...And in that regard, we made the best signing in Europe...
Floyd stepped left and threw the hook that caught Hatton flush under the chin. Finally, the British champ had arrived in that mythical place of which his fans speak: Hatton Wonderland.
sgs

Postby supersub » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:59 am

The only problem is not securing a centre-half.The RW we can live with and as for Owen,I'm elated Rafa never backed down and allowed that parasite to use us to keep his England shirt.
     The rest of the country are rubbing their hands,Owen fashion,thinking we will struggle,but we won't.It's funny how the media revell in any misfortune that besets our club and are then keen to jump on the bandwagon when we end up triumphant come the end of the season.Hardly a season goes by were we are not involved in the pursuit of silver-ware at the final stage.This year I'm up for revisiting Cardiff,Wembley and drinking more wine in Gay Paris..Oh! such fun to be had!! :rasp
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:33 am

Liverpools failure in the transfer market.

What failure !!!?? Let me share what is "failure" is all about ???
Club "A" spent almost more than 200M in the last 15months but only succees in EPL.
Club "B" spent only when they need but in the last 15months, they have won CL as champion, also won in SuperCUP and they are also look forward World Club Champion in DEC.

So tell me who is the total failure now !!! ??? :angry:
LiverpoolMadman

Postby alvin98 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:56 am

LiverpoolMadman wrote:

Club "A" spent almost more than 200M in the last 15months but only succees in EPL.
Club "B" spent only when they need but in the last 15months, they have won CL as champion, also won in SuperCUP and they are also look forward World Club Champion in DEC.

still club B, why??Just look at the pts they are way below club A & now they signed nothing but school kids, you still think the road ahead is good???
alvin98

Postby stoney » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:59 am

LiverpoolMadman wrote:

madman, it aint as black and white as that. I hear what your saying but chelsea having spent all that money have produced a squad capable of winning the title for the next couple of years along with a few cup competitions along the way too. Although we have won the champs league and super cup, we haven't got a serious title challenging team and not really close either. It could be a difficult season for us and if we were to somehow win the league this season, it would be seriously down to the managerial genius of rafa benitez and not to the players we have at our disposal right now.
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion