Liverpool sign Gomez

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maguskwt » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:49 pm

WTF... I thought we signed Mario Gomez  :laugh:

Liverpool sign Joe Gomez from Charlton

Liverpool have confirmed the signing of England under-19 international Joe Gomez from Charlton Athletic.

The defender, 18, is reported to have signed a five-year contract at Anfield.

Gomez, who can operate at centre-back or full-back, told his new club's official website: "It's a dream come true. It's a bit surreal and it hasn't really hit me yet, but I'm buzzing and just excited to get started.

"The club has got great history and it's a great club, and one that I've always been following from when I was young.

"The style of football and the top players here was somewhere that I wanted to go and get better and learn, and play good football. It was an easy decision."

Gomez, who came through the youth ranks at Charlton and made his debut in August last year, joins for an undisclosed fee but is reported to have cost around £3.5 million.

Joe Gomez leaves Charlton after having been at the club since he was 10 years old.
Charlton CEO Katrien Meire told the Championship club's official website: "It is with a heavy heart that we let him go, but we wish him all the best.

"Joe is a very talented and humble young man and he has proven to be a shining light for our academy and a role model for all of the young players at our club. He is another fine example of what our fantastic academy is capable of.

"Joe signed a new three-year contract with us last year and gave us an impressive first season in professional football, but with such huge ambitions, we could not stand in the way of this big opportunity which he wanted to take.

"Joe goes to Liverpool with our blessing and we wish him luck in what will surely be a very successful career."

Gomez added: "I've been here since I was 10 years old and it's been a great experience. The club have always looked after me and I will always be grateful.

"I'm excited for the new challenge at Liverpool and it's an opportunity that I've only been given thanks to the experience that Charlton have given me."

Liverpool have been investing in English talent this summer, having already announced the signings of James Milner from Manchester City and Danny Ings from Burnley, as well as Hungarian goalkeeper Adam Bogdan from Bolton.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:27 pm

Welcome to the club lad.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Buck Rodgers » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:38 pm

Welcome to the club
Buck Rodgers
LFC Advanced Member

Postby maguskwt » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:49 pm

Anyone knows anything about him? How talented is he?
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby johnbarnes » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:25 pm

WELCOME!
Wear the shirt with pride and you'll be right.
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby Buck Rodgers » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:28 pm

Reports saying that he was wanted by both City and Arsenal but decided to join us
Buck Rodgers
LFC Advanced Member

Postby damjan193 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:38 pm

Welcome to the club kid. Good luck to ya.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:20 pm

Yep, very highly rated and we did well to beat the likes of City and Arsenal to his signature.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:21 pm

Due to his age best option will be to loan him out for experience.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby number 8 ynwa » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:08 pm

I know we all want some players with experience but I think this is another great signing for us.. he was wanted by several other top clubs and chose us.. why?

I reckon we are getting young players coming to Liverpool as they have seen how Brendan Rodgers gives young players a chance, I know some on here arent his biggest fans but this is a real strength that he has, he is brave enough to let young players play and for me thats the best way to see if they are good enough..

Sometimes it means we may lose a talented player, too soon like Sterling but we will get maybe 50 million quid for him, thats ok in my book. (and thats a lot of profit)

Hopefully with this profit, we can go out and buy a couple of experienced players and eventually the balance will be right between youth and experience, we will start to win stuff and then the younger players arent going to want to leave.. may take a while to get to this status quo, but it can work...
number 8 ynwa
LFC Basic Member

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:00 pm

Welcome to the club lad  :buttrock
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion