Liverpool fc history project - An education in progress

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby scarlettswift » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:21 am

download.png
RED makes me passionate, LFC is passion-inflicting.. What do you think?
download.png (58.29 KiB) Viewed 7589 times
XRaySpex » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:13 am wrote:Guys can i just say.....you'll never walk alone.

RED makes me passionate, LFC is passion-inflicting.. What do you think?
scarlettswift
LFC Basic Member

Postby Boocity » Tue May 12, 2020 9:18 am

Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Thu May 14, 2020 5:16 am

kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri May 15, 2020 11:40 am

That indeed was a nice read, I knew all about the cup but I thought the club made it, Everton were the reigning champions at the time and wouldn’t hand the trophy over and I’ve always just assumed that the club commissioned something to be made so the players had a trophy of sorts to show the fans.
Don’t forget that was an important moment in our history, we hadn’t won the title since 1946 and had spent most of the 50’s in the second division, at that time that was our longest spell without a title win.
The 63/64 championship was the culmination of all Bill Shankly’s hard work, from second division also rans to the best team in the country.
Evertonians at the time mocked us for celebrating with a ‘Mickey Mouse’ cup but Liverpool fans couldn’t care less, we were champions and that ‘Mickey Mouse’ Cup attained tremendous symbolism, even more so now that it turns out it was made by fans.
Wouldn’t it be great if Jurgen and the players could parade it around Anfield when they get the Premier League trophy? The trophy was there when Shanks won his first top flight league title, it should be there when the 21st century’s version of Bill Shankly gets his first prem title too.
It needs to be done, our club is built on stuff like that. In 100 years time that faded arl vase will be a priceless artefact knowing that 2 of the greatest figures in our history celebrated their first title wins with it.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Boocity » Fri May 15, 2020 12:23 pm

I agree Yakka, it would be good
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri May 15, 2020 3:59 pm

Boocity » Fri May 15, 2020 11:23 am wrote:I agree Yakka, it would be good

Especially now it’s clear that the trophy was made by a fan from that era who is sadly no longer with us.
63/64 was the season YNWA was adopted as our club anthem as well, Gerry and the Pacemakers released YNWA in October 63 and it spent 4 weeks at number 1.
Lot of symbolism tied up with that home made trophy, 63/64 was pretty much the birth of the modern LFC.
Thanks for posting the article BC, much appreciated.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion