JORDAN HENDERSON - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:06 pm

When this team is shorn of Henderson's energy Klopps entire game plan is diluted drastically, as the tireless pressing that the manager insists on is reduced significantly devoid of Jordan's leadership.   

I wouldn't swap Henderson for any midfielder currently plying his trade in Europe and given the lads struggle (even amidst his own fans ) for recognition its remarkable how this season he has grown into the most complete midfielder in the Premiership. In my opinion he has become our metronome and keeps the middle ticking in much the same manner Alonso did.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:19 am

RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:06 pm wrote:When this team is shorn of Henderson's energy Klopps entire game plan is diluted drastically, as the tireless pressing that the manager insists on is reduced significantly devoid of Jordan's leadership.   

I wouldn't swap Henderson for any midfielder currently plying his trade in Europe and given the lads struggle (even amidst his own fans ) for recognition its remarkable how this season he has grown into the most complete midfielder in the Premiership. In my opinion he has become our metronome and keeps the middle ticking in much the same manner Alonso did.

Klopp's system is very reliant on a player like Henderson, who runs his guts out every game he plays. Kante is a similar type player, but you need at least one of these in every midfield to keep the midfield engine revving. That's not to say Henderson doesn't have his limitations, which is why you need play-makers and scorers to play in front of him and the system of playing Mane, Lallana and Coutinho in front of him works so well.

He was also a large part of the reason why we came close to winning it a few seasons back.

Sturridge and Suarez got all the glory but Henderson did the grunt work getting us into a position where we almost won it.

Once he was suspended at the tail end of season, there really was no surprise it all went pear-shaped.

Had he played in that fateful game against Chelsea, I'm convinced we would have won the title.  :down:
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby damjan193 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:02 pm

Limited player utilized to perfection. He's perfect in that role that Klopp wants him to play and no one in the club (and even beyond) can play in his position, we saw that when he was injured. Moves the ball fast when in possession, rushes into position to receive the ball when not in possession, never inactive. Can even pick a good pass sometimes. Always running, always pressing, always breathing in the neck of the oppo, very difficult to cope when playing against such a player. Disciplined too, plays exactly the way the manager wants him to. Sounds like simple stuff but it isn't. Very integral to our playing style and one of our most important players currently.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:39 pm

Eds and Damjan, two damn good posts on how essential our captain is to this team, just wish a wider spectrum of fans and posters could see the bigger picture rather than taking great delight in highlighting his supposed weaknesses  ???
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:28 pm

Whilst I can see that he can put in some very good performances (and I should know because I'm a fan of hardworking players like Kuyt) under Klopp's system, my contention is that we need more than a hardworking midfield water fetcher as our captain. He is neither an enforcer like Mash nor a General like Gerrard. He lacks leadership. And it's not saying much when our performances are bad when he's not playing because his substitute is Emre Can. Likening his performance to a metronome and that of Alonso's is of course just pure ridiculousness... he's not fit to tie the laces of the Pass Maestro, one of the best passers of the ball I've ever seen. (the success of Gerrard-Torres partnership is due to Alonso). This doesn't mean that I don't appreciate his efforts though. All I'm trying to say is just call a spade a spade...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:53 pm

Henderson's lack of leadership ? Whilst I understand not everyone is as discernible a thinker as myself and I obviously sympathise with your lack of vision I must digress,Henderson remonstrates with his players he points and barks instructions and basically orchestrates the movement in the middle of the park.

Which leaves me a touch bemused with your critique, just how much more of a Capt could he be ? I mean he's a different player than Gerrard and Mascherano but the former struggled playing the role of DM and the latter excelled but both were impulsive and neither had the game intelligence and patience of Henderson.

I mean Xabi's game was considerably more than just picking out wonderful 30 yard passes he was a tireless worker that kept the ball moving effortlessly that's the purpose of a metronome to keep us ticking , ie Henderson.

So yes my comparisons are more in keeping with what Alonso brought to the team than any of the midfielders above .....Go figure !
Last edited by RED BEERGOGGLES on Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:01 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:53 pm wrote:Henderson's lack of leadership ? Whilst I understand not everyone is as discernible a thinker as myself and I obviously sympathise with your lack of vision I must digress,Henderson remonstrates with his players he points and barks instructions and basically orchestrates the movement in the middle of the park.

Which leaves me a touch bemused with your critique, just how much more of a Capt could he be ? I mean he's a different player than Gerrard and Mascherano but the former struggled playing the role of DM and the latter excelled but both were impulsive and neither had the game intelligence and patience of Henderson.

So yes my comparisons are more in keeping with what Alonso brought to the team than any of the above .....Go figure !

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
:bowdown
ok ok... you got me!
good one!  :laugh:
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:13 pm

before anyone has funny ideas ("discerning" jokes aside  :laugh:) ... have a watch and refresh your memory...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:29 pm

maguskwt » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:01 pm wrote:

:bowdown
ok ok... you got me!
good one!  :laugh:

I do tend to get carried away with the debate  :;): 

What I meant was Xabi's contribution to our game wasn't just about spraying wonderful 30 yard balls around the park ,he was a tireless worker who kept the ball moving swiftly and effortlessly and that's the purpose of a metronome to keep us ticking.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:28 am

I watched Henderson from a high position in the main stand last night which is a brilliant spot to analyse the game. I concluded that Henderson could probably run a marathon and quickly afterwards run another one. Frankly it is not enough. He is basically playing a deep lying defensive role and creates virtually nothing. He scores very few goals. And does he really motivate the team !! Last night was not an exception, it was the same story against Swansea and several other teams this year. I'm the first to admit that when we nearly won the league a few years ago Henderson's red card against City was a defining moment. However he was playing a different role and he didn't have the pressure of the captaincy resting on him. I have always questioned Henderson's overall ability, especially as captain and he still raises serious doubts in my mind. He is certainly no Gerrard !!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:54 pm

He is just a poor all round player in my book. He hasn't improved in the 6 odd years he is here at all. He has no skills just an ability to run. He kills any momentum we try to Create and he constantly gives it away. He won't tackle either.
He wasn't good enough when he signed and he still isn't good enough now. Time to move him on.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Doeboy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:04 pm

Think Hendo has done well for us this season. He is the one that gives us a bit of urgency in midfield, gets about the pitch and and looks to move the ball forward quickly. Without him, we look a bit flat in midfield and I know recently he hasn't been great but don't know if that heel injury he sustained is still a problem.

Are there better options out there than Hendo? Of course there are. Hendo does a bit of everything to a decent level but don't think he excels in any particular area, so a jack of all trades and a master of none type player. However as things stand, we miss him when he is not playing. Can did better for me in the second half yesterday but concern is he wants too many touches on the ball and sometimes it seems as though he wants to play the game at his own pace rather than what is actually being played on the pitch and this causes us issues.
Doeboy

Postby parchpea » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:58 pm

Henderson really encapsulates the whole team on his own, decent but not good enough.

Some days he rises above and its easy to be fooled but ultimately hes not a top 4 player, regular starter.

I know he captains England as well but its not ability based its attitude which is excellent for club and country.

The fact hes become something of a necessity at this club says a lot about standards in recent years, not his fault, but honestly in a resurgent Liverpool with adequate funding Henderson would be all but wiped off the Anfield map.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:31 pm

Nobody will not look back in 10 years or so and say "Henderson was quality, a class player who deserved to be captain of LFC" Why? Because he is a grafter and nothing more. He has a great attitude and a good engine, scores the odd goal, one or two of which are spectacular. But other than that he could easily leave and not be missed.
:no
Thommo's perm

Postby kazza » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:35 am

While I agree with others opinion about his lack "game changing quality", he does have technical skills. I remembered this video so I looked it up to repost.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_Tpun-VbTmU

Then I remembered this other video with him competing with Lucas on fairground games.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sVL-88_VVfs

I watched this video and while it is meaningless and light hearted it shows Jordan as a nice easy going guy who was unconcerned about losing. I have known enough professional athletes to know they want to win everything even when competing with their own mother or kids and it does not matter what game, it is what makes them winners. I think that Henderson's issues are less about skill and more about attitude, he is to nice and mild mannered and frankly not "angry" enough to be captain. The words "too soft" come to mind.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion