JOHN FLANAGAN - Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon May 16, 2011 5:35 pm

what a player! despite being unfairly booked and giving away a penalty that never was, he never kept his head down or allowed the events to deter him from doing his job. made numerous runs down the right side as well. was superb and my MOTM. with Kelly eventually being shifted to a more central role, it's safe to say that our right side is safer than it's ever been in years with Johnson and Flanagan.

"The young boy is not bad. For us that is really encouraging as well because it is a reflection of the work that is being done at the academy and if we have a strong academy it can only benefit us for years to come."
—Kenny Dalglish commenting on his debut against Man City.

maypaxvobiscum

Postby zarababe » Mon May 16, 2011 6:07 pm

Brilliant prospect ... keep it coming :)
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon May 16, 2011 6:10 pm

not good enough at the moment by far. Been caught out way too many times to be anywhere near first choice.

But he was dunked straight into the deep end and the kid obviously has heart. Needs someone to show him more, if we had someone like Clichy (im not the biggest fan but) he could show him how to play so much better.

I think this is definately one where he is being over hyped.

He is one for the future, but the future aint yet
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Mon May 16, 2011 6:28 pm

Not over hyping but to say not good enough by far is a tad extreme......the lad is clearly good enough to warrant a place in the team, just ask...Dalglish & Clarke
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Mon May 16, 2011 6:31 pm

supersub wrote:Not over hyping but to say not good enough by far is a tad extreme......the lad is clearly good enough to warrant a place in the team, just ask...Dalglish & Clarke

Come on dude, you watch the games more than most, hes made too many errors, and hes only in the team as there aint anyone else. Hes good i grant you, but good enough? not by a long shot yet
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Mon May 16, 2011 6:37 pm

Personally i think he's more than justified his place in the side . Was never a pen yesterday and he was my man of the match . Never stopped attacking , loves a tackle and can spot a pass . Deffo a very capable back up right back for now and a certain starter in the future.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon May 16, 2011 6:39 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:Deffo a very capable back up right back for now and a certain starter in the future.

agree with this bit before i get crucified for my views!
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Mon May 16, 2011 6:58 pm

As a matter of interest when Phil Neal was signed from Northampton as a young lad and put straight in the team did he immediately look like a player that would go on to win four european cups.  Maybe the 50 somethings on this forum might be able to recall and let us know.

Sometimes the best thing for a youngster is to be plunged into the deep end and let him grow into a role in the team.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby therocket147 » Mon May 16, 2011 7:25 pm

Hopefully more of the academy boys can follow John Flanagan and Jack Robinson up into the first team
therocket147

Postby metalhead » Mon May 16, 2011 9:38 pm

dawson99 wrote:not good enough at the moment by far. Been caught out way too many times to be anywhere near first choice.

But he was dunked straight into the deep end and the kid obviously has heart. Needs someone to show him more, if we had someone like Clichy (im not the biggest fan but) he could show him how to play so much better.

I think this is definately one where he is being over hyped.

He is one for the future, but the future aint yet

Hmm.. I think its a bit harsh saying he isn't good enough, I think he is good enough and I agree that he still have some areas in his game he can improve on.

He is still 18 and I agree with Igor he would be a great squad player for the next 2 or 3 years then hopefully he steps it up and becomes a regular.

He has done well in the past couple of games
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon May 16, 2011 9:42 pm

Sean wrote:Sometimes the best thing for a youngster is to be plunged into the deep end and let him grow into a role in the team.

I think its a bit different in modern football these days. I don't think its a good idea just to throw a youngster right like that, unless he is out of this world (Messi, Fabregas, Wilshere). Plus your talking about 70's and 80's when our club was at its peak and winning trophies right, left and center, so it was easier to play a youngster and get away with it because of the amount of quality and experience the 70's and 80's sides had.

Phil Neal was an excellent player though, not in my time but I did have the liberty to check videos of him in the Liverpool days.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon May 16, 2011 9:52 pm

I had the argument with my mate yesterday who said he was sh'ite. I asked him to name me a good rigt back in the PL at the moment and he genuinely struggled, eventually saying Johnson.
My point is that as young as he is, he is as good as most seasoned right backs in the league already
:;):
Thommo's perm

Postby red till i die!! » Mon May 16, 2011 10:05 pm

agreed,he's a decent prospect for the future.
i also agree that he isnt ready for the no 1 rb position next year and the last thing we want to do is throw the lad in head first like what was done with insua.another very decent prospect who wasnt ready.
the best way for flanagan to improve is if we sign someone like clichy for him to learn off.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby supersub » Mon May 16, 2011 10:07 pm

Thommo's perm wrote:My point is that as young as he is, he is as good as most seasoned right backs in the league already

Totally agree......he most definitely does not look out of place.......
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon May 16, 2011 10:11 pm

supersub wrote:
Thommo's perm wrote:My point is that as young as he is, he is as good as most seasoned right backs in the league already

Totally agree......he most definitely does not look out of place.......

I watch MOD week after week and see defenders who are much older and more experienced than him getting raped. The kids good and will grow stronger with experience.
Over the moon he is a local as well
:D
Thommo's perm

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion