Joel Matip Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:07 am

Migs will improve with a solid back 4 in front of him, its always the case.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Klopptomaniac » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:18 am

Reg » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:07 am wrote:Migs will improve with a solid back 4 in front of him, its always the case.

I always believed that the problem has been the defence not trusting Migs. Either way, as you say, a settled, consistent unit in front of him certainly won't do him any harm.

Problem with Migs is he's one error away from taking an absolute pillaring
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Pig Catcher » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:25 pm

Can't believe we managed to snap this guy up on a free transfer. Especially when you look at what other teams spent on CBs this summer.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Eagle » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:34 pm

What a bargain this guy is looking. Could be our best CB since Hyypia if things continue like this.
Eagle

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:42 pm

Yeah, even if we'd paid £30m for him we'd all still be saying what a great bit of business it was, to get him for free almost feels like we are taking the p[iss].
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:17 am

I guess the case of matip shows what Klopp has that BR lacked (not his fault). He has his connections in the Bundesliga and he can pick out a player that could do a job for him on a bargain. And players want to come play for him because of his reputation.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Eagle » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:58 pm

He was on the raider of the transfer committee long before Klopp got here. There was an article in the Echo about it last week. I think the difference is that Klopp is a big draw for players. Maybe Matip wouldn't have made the move if it was Rodgers in charge.
Eagle

Postby redshade » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:44 pm

Will be back from the Westham game.
Thank God for that.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/fo ... t-12279823
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:47 am

Cameroon boss Hugo Broos is hoping to convince Liverpool defender Joel Matip to end his international exile.

The former Schalke centre-back hasn’t played for the Indomitable Lions since 2015 and is committed to staying with the Reds rather than taking part in next month’s Africa Cup of Nations in Gabon.

However, Broos intends to hold talks with Matip about a potential return to the Cameroon fold.

“When I took over as coach I went to see him in Gelsenkirchen and ask him to return to the team,” Broos told Belgium’s Voetbal Magazine.

“But he said to me ‘nothing is organised properly in Cameroon’'

“I asked him to give me a chance to prove that we could do it better but he was not convinced.

“But in the meantime I’ve heard that he is now prepared to make a comeback and so I am going to go and see him again.”

Matip returned to training with Liverpool on Tuesday after missing Sunday’s 4-3 defeat to Bournemouth with an ankle injury. The defender is set to return to Jurgen Klopp’s side for Sunday’s visit of West Ham.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:33 am

redshade wrote:Will be back from the Westham game.
Thank God for that.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/fo ... t-12279823

Thank god indeed. If we were to lose big Joel for any significant length of time we'd be lucky to finish in the Europa league places. That's why it's imperative that we buy a top CB next month. Every time he misses a game we ship a load of goals (Arsenal - 3, Burnley - 2, Bournemouth - 4)
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:56 pm

Fast becoming my signing of the season. Reminds me of Hyypia on so many levels. Below he explains why he's staying here in January and not playing in the Africa Cup of Nations.

Joel Matip has explained the reasons behind his decision to eschew a call-up from Cameroon for the Africa Cup of Nations.

The defender, who has been capped 27 times by the country of his father's birth, has elected not to head to Gabon in January for the 31st edition of the continental competition.

And he says that is because he wanted to focus solely on matters at Anfield next month and beyond.

"It’s not an easy decision but I want to concentrate on Liverpool. I want to be [here]," he told Liverpoolfc.com.

"I want to focus on Liverpool and that’s what I had to decide. I think I took the right decision."
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:41 am

He was really good against West Ham (apart from his mistake, but It's hard to concentrate properly when the ball deflected the way it did)
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:18 pm

http://www.espnfc.com.au/liverpool/story/3039515/liverpool-manager-jurgen-klopp-frustrated-over-joel-matip-deadlock

What a complete and utter ba.ll.s up this is.

Poor Klopp having to hold his tongue on the incompetence at our club allowing this to happen, and the owners who should be holding these people accountable.

Amateur hour by all involved.  :angry:
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:40 pm

Why wouldn't Cameroon respond to the clubs repeated requests? I mean how unprofessional can you get? Not having big Joel at the end there to combat United's route one approach probably cost us valuable points.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:55 pm

Afcon should be every 4 years same as euros and world cup.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion