JAMES MILNER - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby C-R » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:03 am

From the Official Liverpool FC site... http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest- ... ign-milner

Liverpool Football Club are delighted to announce they have agreed a deal to sign Manchester City’s James Milner, subject to a medical.

The Reds have agreed personal terms with the England international, who will join the club on a free transfer on July 1 after his contract at the Etihad Stadium has expired.

Milner will arrive at Anfield having lifted two Barclays Premier League titles, an FA Cup and a League Cup during his five-year spell with City.

The 29-year-old is also firmly established as a regular for England and has notched 53 caps to date.

Having also represented Leeds United, Newcastle United and Aston Villa, Milner has lined up against Liverpool 24 times in total during the course of his career.
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:18 am

Ah well its done now  :nod
Welcome to the club lad.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby C-R » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:20 am

One of City’s best players this season. Speaks volumes that the City fans desperately wanted him to stay. Brilliant that he’s moving for regular football too. Says a lot about him as a player on and off the pitch. The club have done well to get him. Arsenal very keen and City pulled out all the stops to get him to stay.

Gives us good options. Definitely needed a player like him. Has great experience.

Possible CM options as it stands: Emre Can, Lucas, Allen, Henderson, Milner, Coutinho.
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:31 am

Hails the end of Lucas or Joe Allen I think.

I am pleased with this signing and have wanted Milner at the club for a while.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:37 am

crazyhorse » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:31 am wrote:Hails the end of Lucas or Joe Allen I think.

I am pleased with this signing and have wanted Milner at the club for a while.

Think there is a very good chance the manager will try and move Lucas on, Allen will be more difficult imo, not many will pay close to waht we paid and the fact Allen also seems to be very much the manager's boy
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:45 am

C-R » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:20 am wrote:One of City’s best players this season. Speaks volumes that the City fans desperately wanted him to stay. Brilliant that he’s moving for regular football too. Says a lot about him as a player on and off the pitch. The club have done well to get him. Arsenal very keen and City pulled out all the stops to get him to stay.

Gives us good options. Definitely needed a player like him. Has great experience.

Possible CM options as it stands: Emre Can, Lucas, Allen, Henderson, Milner, Coutinho.

I honestly don't think we have pulled off some masterstroke here by getting him. I do think though that regular football was his main drive but also things like not having to uproot his entire family abroad or the other end of the country. I know city offered him 165 k compared to the 150 we are giving him but he is bound to have picked up a nice signing on fee with us and also secured a lucrative deal till he turns 34  :nod

He will make a difference as in he is better than what we have and more experienced but it won't be the difference everyone hopes.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby leeroy74 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:59 am

Welcome to the club.

I think its a good signing, not a world class one but a good solid signing.

Nice to see the club are getting the business under way nice and early, sorted BR out and straight onto the signings. Makes a change.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby C-R » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:00 am

leeroy74 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:59 am wrote:Welcome to the club.

I think its a good signing, not a world class one but a good solid signing.

Nice to see the club are getting the business under way nice and early, sorted BR out and straight onto the signings. Makes a change.

Yuuup, well said leeroy  :nod
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:00 am

More like a Benitez than a Rodgers signing and I would liken him to Dirk Kuyt in terms of what he can bring to a team and if he can be close to that
then it will be a very good piece of business.

I actually wouldn't be surprised to see him made captain depending who else we recruit in the summer.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby jacdaniel » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:05 am

Good signing. 

We need some senior, experienced players in the side. 
He is not going to be the signing that will rip the league apart but a much needed addition.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:00 pm

Good squad player, nothing more.

Let's hope we're going to sign quality this summer to replace Gerrard and Suarez, because we'll be in the ***** if this is it...
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:59 pm

Can't say I'm over the moon about this one, I've no doubt he's a decent player who will probably turn out to be one of our more consistent performers but I was hoping for someone with a bit more creativity in their locker.
His age is a concern as well, paying a 30 something player £150,000 a week doesn't seem to make any sense to me. That is top money.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby number 8 ynwa » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:24 pm

Really good signing - a top player that has never looked out of place amongst the overpaid, overpriced superstars at City.

Also bring some experience (winning experience as well) to a squad that is very young.

HAPPY

Welcome to the club James Milner
number 8 ynwa
LFC Basic Member

Postby number 8 ynwa » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:26 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:59 pm wrote:Can't say I'm over the moon about this one, I've no doubt he's a decent player who will probably turn out to be one of our more consistent performers but I was hoping for someone with a bit more creativity in their locker.
His age is a concern as well, paying a 30 something player £150,000 a week doesn't seem to make any sense to me. That is top money.

Its not really top money - you have to remember that we paid nothing for him, you have to look at the total cost of a player over his contract, so Fee divided by length of contact plus his wages is the true cost of a player
number 8 ynwa
LFC Basic Member

Postby maguskwt » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:12 pm

I think it's a good signing... Not an exciting signing... But hopefully he will bring experience and solid quality to our midfield. We have to note that Henderson isn't really ready to lead the team despite being one of the longest serving now...
Still hoping for a good striker and maybe another defender...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion